ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 30, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #617 of 7,485
Sep 30, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #619 of 7,485
Betting on the release of a ZMF planar was the primary reason I sold my OTL and bought a 300B SET amp. I can't wait for the Caldera to drop. The Atrium sets a REALLY high bar though. I'm enjoying it immensely. Come on November!!

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #620 of 7,485
Betting on the release of a ZMF planar was the primary reason I sold my OTL and bought a 300B SET amp. I can't wait for the Caldera to drop. The Atrium sets a REALLY high bar though. I'm enjoying it immensely. Come on November!!
If you're enjoying the Atrium the Caldera will not disappoint.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #622 of 7,485
a planar with a lifetime warranty

interesting
Planar technology has evolved tremendously in the last 5 years (became a lot more reliable and manufacturers have been experimenting with different ideas like Meze's isodynamic/split coil technology or FInal's air film damping system), and it is not stopping.
ZMF is still unique though by offering lifetime warranty on transducers. Other manufacturers only give 3 years. Zach must be pretty confident about his new transducer's reliability which is a very good sign.

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #623 of 7,485
I'm looking forward to the release of the Caldera! I've only recently joined the ZMF family (the Atrium being my first), but so far, I'm very impressed. I'm also very happy to support a US-based small business, one that has a direct link from its founder (@zach915m ) and leadership to it's customers! I've never had the occasion to use any facet of their customer support, but based on what I've read, it FAR exceeds what one experiences from other bigger names like Focal, et. al.

Having said that, I will probably wait for LTD release woods to appear, as some of the most recent Atriums have looked simply stellar (although my LTD Bubinga are no slouch).

Keep up the great work Team ZMF!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #624 of 7,485
If you're enjoying the Atrium the Caldera will not disappoint.
Hold on there bud, I'm actually disappointed... that Zach took this long to get the Caldera in our hands!!!

giphy.gif

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #626 of 7,485
To whomever has had the opportunity to listen to it on their own solid state amps, how source picky is the Caldera? I enjoyed it at canjam but I'm worried my Asgard 3 wouldn't do it justice.
Caldera sounds great out of solid state. I listened to it on the Cayin iHA-6 at CanJam in the ZMF room and really liked it. They also had two Ravenswood amps there that sounded awesome. I'm using it with the liquid platinum which is a hybrid solid state with tube stage. It is much less picky about impedance and such. It needs power, but the Mojo 2 drives it just fine.

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #627 of 7,485
I listened to it on the Cayin iHA-6 at CanJam in the ZMF room and really liked it.
That is the amp I am using currently for the Caldera. I like it best out of the balanced socket, which has the lowest output impedance of the three options that the IHA-6 has.
I will be testing it on a few other amp options before I start to think about putting a review together.

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #628 of 7,485
That is the amp I am using currently for the Caldera. I like it best out of the balanced socket, which has the lowest output impedance of the three options that the IHA-6 has.
I will be testing it on a few other amp options before I start to think about putting a review together.
That little amp is pretty awesome. Especially for the price! Been thinking about getting that or one of the tube Cayin amps they had at their booth.

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #629 of 7,485
That little amp is pretty awesome. Especially for the price! Been thinking about getting that or one of the tube Cayin amps they had at their booth.
Indeed. It is quite powerful, even doing a pretty decent job with the Susvara, which is no easy task to drive.
I have not put it through its paces with any of the ZMF dynamics yet, but for anyone who is looking for a not too expensive solid state amp that sounds pretty damn good with the Caldera, this amp should be on your short list to check out.

Of course, a review will be coming as well.

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #630 of 7,485
Totally agree with the Wywires. I run platinum headphone cable as well. Diamond USB, Platinum RCA's to my Airmid and 3 Platinum Power Cords. The Most amazing was the Diamond USB and then the power cords. Most specifically on the DAC. What differences do you hear between Zach's wire and your Platinum? Never listened to Zach's upgrade wires!

Yeah indeed I have started Zach's piggy bank, once again!

Happy listening,

jgwtriode
I am also pleased with the Wywires used on my Atrium Bubinga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back