ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 21, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #7,352 of 7,599
i know I am on a "pink cloud" with the Caldera being driven from my Accuphase A-70, but I sit hear pondering why I spent so much money and time on e-stat gear, Chord gear and accessories when I could have tapped my oldest and current accuphase system to get pure listening bliss. Could have saved much time and money if I knew this existed.

May 21, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #7,353 of 7,599
I guess everything is a matter of perspective. The Naim is a really nice all-in-one option.
Yeah, I know it’s just a matter of opinion. But when I hear that phrase, it’s really just a nice way of saying it doesn’t compete with separates. I bought into that idea too but when I was at the last CanJam, I tried a bunch of different setups and nothing really blew me away to make me want to sell the Naim. However, it was also under meet conditions.

Maybe someday I’ll drive up to LA and go to The Source AV and do some direct comparisons in a quiet environment. It’s just when I previously owned the Chord Dave, then had to add mscaler, and batteries, special cables, and whatever else and just got fed up. So an all in one is appealing to me the moment but I don’t want to hold back Caldera’s full potential. Just think some people completely discredit the Naim HE.

Also sorry if you’re truly saying it’s a nice all in one. It’s just in most threads, seems it’s somewhat frowned upon. When I mentioned it in DCA Expanse, basically told was going to need a better system.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #7,354 of 7,599
Yeah, I know it’s just a matter of opinion. But when I hear that phrase, it’s really just a nice way of saying it doesn’t compete with separates. I bought into that idea too but when I was at the last CanJam, I tried a bunch of different setups and nothing really blew me away to make me want to sell the Naim. However, it was also under meet conditions.

Maybe someday I’ll drive up to LA and go to The Source AV and do some direct comparisons in a quiet environment. It’s just when I previously owned the Chord Dave, then had to add mscaler, and batteries, special cables, and whatever else and just got fed up. So an all in one is appealing to me the moment but I don’t want to hold back Caldera’s full potential. Just think some people completely discredit the Naim HE.

Also sorry if you’re truly saying it’s a nice all in one. It’s just in most thread, seems it’s somewhat frowned upon. When I mentioned it DCA Expanse, basically told was going to need a better system.
I hear you loud and clear. The "Rabbit Hole" that many of us term the "process" or the "hobby" can truly bring frustration. I purchased the NAD M10V2 to replace a robust chain of electronics to drive my Dali Epicons because I was simply unsatisfied and frustrated with spending huge amounts of money. Well, that lasted maybe 6 months.

The reality is I love listening to the music, but I was also love the equipment that makes the music. I can imagine most people who are here on audio forums are not the "all-in-one" type of people. I can be wrong, who knows. Today, I discovered I found listening bliss from simply connecting my Calderas to my original 2-ch system that I have owned for over a decade. Previously to this, I too went down the Chord MDave and E-Stat "Rabbit Hole" in search for the headphone culmination point of nirvana. Today, I spend more time listening to my Calderas on a Mojo 2, LOL.

The point I am trying to make is I enjoy and accept the journey to include the host of emotions it brings with it. The feeling I have is the same feeling I felt as a 16yo when I installed my first Alpine with Rockford Fosgate amp & subs in my 1973 VW Bug. I would spend hours listening and talking to others about my stereo. Nothing as changed, other the drain in my pocketbook. If you like the all-in-one Naim, cool, but if you like the journey than The Source AV may be worth the trip. By the way, its my old stopping ground when I lived in San Diego. Love that place.

Welcome to the Journey :)

P.S. If you do stick with the Naim chain, let me know. I have a Naim Fraim that I can send you at super cheap price.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #7,355 of 7,599

Also sorry if you’re truly saying it’s a nice all in one. It’s just in most threads, seems it’s somewhat frowned upon. When I mentioned it in DCA Expanse, basically told was going to need a better system.

Let me know when you're going through PM. I live so close to TSAV but too shy to just hang around there and not really buying anything ATM haha

Personal opinion though is that I haven't heard the Caldera sing better from the DCS Lina amp. Then again, I haven't even heard the Caldera out of the Aegis but would be interesting to know how it sounds though

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #7,356 of 7,599
I hear you loud and clear. The "Rabbit Hole" that many of us term the "process" or the "hobby" can truly bring frustration. I purchased the NAD M10V2 to replace a robust chain of electronics to drive my Dali Epicons because I was simply unsatisfied and frustrated with spending huge amounts of money. Well, that lasted maybe 6 months.

The reality is I love listening to the music, but I was also love the equipment that makes the music. I can imagine most people who are here on audio forums are not the "all-in-one" type of people. I can be wrong, who knows. Today, I discovered I found listening bliss from simply connecting my Calderas to my original 2-ch system that I have owned for over a decade. Previously to this, I too went down the Chord MDave and E-Stat "Rabbit Hole" in search for the headphone culmination point of nirvana. Today, I spend more time listening to my Calderas on a Mojo 2, LOL.

The point I am trying to make is I enjoy and accept the journey to include the host of emotions it brings with it. The feeling I have is the same feeling I felt at 16yo when I installed my first Alpine with Rockford Fosgate amp & subs in my 1973 VW Bug. I would spend hours listening and talking to others about my stereo. Nothing as changed, other the drain in my pocketbook. If you like the all-in-one Naim, cool, but if you like the journey than The Source AV may be worth the trip. By the way, its my old stopping ground when I lived in San Diego. Love that place.

P.S. If you do stick with the Naim chain, let me know. I have a Naim Fraim that I can send you at super cheap price.
1st rabbit to 2nd rabbit: "What do these people have against rabbit holes, anyway?"

May 21, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #7,357 of 7,599

The point I am trying to make is I enjoy and accept the journey to include the host of emotions it brings with it. The feeling I have is the same feeling I felt at 16yo when I installed my first Alpine with Rockford Fosgate amp & subs in my 1973 VW Bug. I would spend hours listening and talking to others about my stereo. Nothing as changed, other the drain in my pocketbook. If you like the all-in-one Naim, cool, but if you like the journey than The Source AV may be worth the trip. By the way, its my old stopping ground when I lived in San Diego. Love that place.

Not to derail but I’m currently in San Diego and my car journey started with a 1971 VW Bug. Then had several Buses including a rare kombi that was hard top but with bed and table, VW Fastback and finally The VW Thing. And what was nice with the VW is you could tinker with it and mod it.

So think I understand how an all in one setup is kind of a dead end when it comes to the hobby part of this. You can’t really do much upgrading beside power cord and headphone cord. I guess for me the hobby is still reading and writing about the experiences, attending meets, and all that. And finally actually just enjoying the music. When I had separates, I got fixated on all the rest and stopped enjoying the music and lost site of the end goal. So at least at the moment, the all in one is what I need.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #7,358 of 7,599
Mantle Mesh Impression

Since purchasing the Caldera at CanJam NYC two months ago, I've been experimenting extensively with:
  • Pad Rolling
  • DAC Rolling
  • Amp Rolling
  • Interconnect Rolling
All this A-B testing is getting tedious, and I still haven't tackled headphone cables yet! However, I've made significant progress and feel like I'm getting closer to my optimal setup. One quick decision I made was regarding the Mantle Mesh. It didn't suit me at all. I put it on this morning and took it off by evening with no regrets. I thought I'd quickly share my experience with everyone here in case you find it useful.

With the Mantle Mesh, I felt I lost a lot of "spatial cues," which I value for live concert recordings. I upsample because it enhances my sense of the performance space. The Mantle Mesh noticeably dampens the treble (gently, according to @zach915m's measurements). While this allowed me to increase the volume and enjoy a punchier amp, I missed the resolution more than I enjoyed the louder experience.

Without the Mantle Mesh, I'm more cautious about my listening level, but I believe some of the special Caldera magic lies in the treble. I love the space and staging I get without the Mantle Mesh. I might consider @GoldenSound's recommendation on the Suedes to tame the treble without compromising resolution.

May 22, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #7,359 of 7,599

I truly mean the Naim is a very nice sounding all in one solution. At some point I was actually wondering if I could simplify my system and get one; so, I went to a store and had a few hour-long audition with different headphones. IMO, the HE beats a good number of separate DAC/amp combinations up to about its retail price, plus it is a streamer too, so for the quality of sound and for the small form factor it is a really good deal. But IMO as with any all-in ones, you pay a good percentage of the price for the convenience of a small form factor. My experience is that separates do sound better (weightier, more dynamic with better body and realism), but you would really be challenged to build a streamer/DAC/amp system for £2K that sounds as good as the Naim. Different yes, but not necessarily 'better'. From £2.5K-£3K however the game changes as the options for quality separates really open up. That is just me, everyone's needs and wants are different.

May 22, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #7,360 of 7,599
I truly mean the Naim is a very nice sounding all in one solution. At some point I was actually wondering if I could simplify my system and get one; so, I went to a store and had a few hour-long audition with different headphones. IMO, the HE beats a good number of separate DAC/amp combinations up to about its retail price, plus it is a streamer too, so for the quality of sound and for the small form factor it is a really good deal. But IMO as with any all-in ones, you pay a good percentage of the price for the convenience of a small form factor. My experience is that separates do sound better (weightier, more dynamic with better body and realism), but you would really be challenged to build a streamer/DAC/amp system for £2K that sounds as good as the Naim. Different yes, but not necessarily 'better'. From £2.5K-£3K however the game changes as the options for quality separates really open up. That is just me, everyone's needs and wants are different.
From reading your posts over time I thought this is what you were saying.

While I don't have the Caldera (yet) I do have the HE but it now only sees occasionally use and provides backup cover. I agree it is an excellent all-in-one system. As you mentioned, it's a very well balanced system but I would say the dynamics aren't bad either. It offers great value for money and beats a lot of other combinations. It has great functionality and portability. Easy to move around.

For me, I just wanted something with a bigger stage, deeper and not just wider with better imaging. Something with a grander sound. The Auralic VEGA ended up replacing the Atom HE as the DAC inside it was a big improvement but still has a lot of the weight that the HE has. It also acts as a Roon endpoint and has a high quality analogue volume control and excellent preamp. So gives me a lot of the convenience of the HE.

The VEGA is connected to my Aegis making a two box solution. Yes the Aegis can sound Ethereal, if that's what you want, but it's very versatile and with the right tubes can also sound very linear, transparent but if you want deep bass, ethereal mids and smooth highs a quick change of tubes and you're sorted. For me, there is a big difference between the HE and the VEGA + Aegis in every category (my ears/system). The Aegis allows me to make big changes to the finished sound to suit the genre and headphones I use. I'm not really a headphone amp collector either, I sold my Auris Nirvana because it wasn't receiving any use after the Aegis came along. But I do want the best sound quality possible from a relatively compact system.

I think for me, the Atom HE is really good but it is a fixed one in terms of its sound and, the type of sound signature I want for classical isn't always what I want for EDM or Rock/Pop etc. So, the HE felt like a middle road compromise at times... hence the change. It took a bit of tweaking over time (tubes) but I'm now 100% settled. Apart from the occasional top up of tubes I probably spend more on buying music now, which I feel is how it should be.

So yeah, the Atom HE is probably one, if not the best option when it comes to an All-In-One but the convenience does come at a price and sound quality can be bettered without making it complicated.... but at a price. And that's another strong point of the HE... you do have to spend a bit more to better it! Anyway, my thoughts on the Atom HE from use over time.

May 22, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #7,361 of 7,599
I really liked the comment above from harris4crna about just enjoying the Calderas with his Mojo2. They are just such a fun sounding enjoyable pair of headphones especially after a few months when the treble peak calms down. The bass in particular is awesome.

I’m kind of torn at the moment. Do I continue down the rabbit hole with Susvara 2/Immanis or just kick back and enjoy what I have already. Maybe even go further down the enjoyment route and get a pair of Atriums/Verite’s.

That said, the Calderas out of my 300B pre/CFA3 are pure pleasure and a great compliment to my Susvaras. They also work so well with my mobile set up (320MAX/PB5).

May 22, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #7,362 of 7,599
Mantle Mesh Impression

Since purchasing the Caldera at CanJam NYC two months ago, I've been experimenting extensively with:
  • Pad Rolling
  • DAC Rolling
  • Amp Rolling
  • Interconnect Rolling
All this A-B testing is getting tedious, and I still haven't tackled headphone cables yet! However, I've made significant progress and feel like I'm getting closer to my optimal setup. One quick decision I made was regarding the Mantle Mesh. It didn't suit me at all. I put it on this morning and took it off by evening with no regrets. I thought I'd quickly share my experience with everyone here in case you find it useful.

With the Mantle Mesh, I felt I lost a lot of "spatial cues," which I value for live concert recordings. I upsample because it enhances my sense of the performance space. The Mantle Mesh noticeably dampens the treble (gently, according to @zach915m's measurements). While this allowed me to increase the volume and enjoy a punchier amp, I missed the resolution more than I enjoyed the louder experience.

Without the Mantle Mesh, I'm more cautious about my listening level, but I believe some of the special Caldera magic lies in the treble. I love the space and staging I get without the Mantle Mesh. I might consider @GoldenSound's recommendation on the Suedes to tame the

Mantle Mesh Impression

• Pad Rolling
  • DAC Rolling
  • Amp Rolling
  • Interconnect Rolling

Without the Mantle Mesh, I'm more cautious about my listening level, but I believe some of the special Caldera magic lies in the treble. I love the space and staging I get without the Mantle Mesh. I might consider @GoldenSound's recommendation on the Suedes to tame the treble without compromising resolution.
I prefer suede myself. They just work better with my chain of electronics and cables. Since switching from the Verite Silver cable to the Forza Noir Hybrid it allows me to return to the stock lambskin if in the mood, but still prefer the suede.

May 22, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #7,363 of 7,599
As I stated above I bought the NAD M10V2 to provide me a all-in-one solution. Now, I wished I bought the Naim. They are often compared to each other. The HP option would have been nice. I really wanted to like it, but got bored. I still own it, and will use it with the Dali Epicons in whole another system. It did glitch alot though.

May 22, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #7,364 of 7,599
From reading your posts over time I thought this is what you were saying.

While I don't have the Caldera (yet) I do have the HE but it now only sees occasionally use and provides backup cover. I agree it is an excellent all-in-one system. As you mentioned, it's a very well balanced system but I would say the dynamics aren't bad either. It offers great value for money and beats a lot of other combinations. It has great functionality and portability. Easy to move around.

For me, I just wanted something with a bigger stage, deeper and not just wider with better imaging. Something with a grander sound. The Auralic VEGA ended up replacing the Atom HE as the DAC inside it was a big improvement but still has a lot of the weight that the HE has. It also acts as a Roon endpoint and has a high quality analogue volume control and excellent preamp. So gives me a lot of the convenience of the HE.

The VEGA is connected to my Aegis making a two box solution. Yes the Aegis can sound Ethereal, if that's what you want, but it's very versatile and with the right tubes can also sound very linear, transparent but if you want deep bass, ethereal mids and smooth highs a quick change of tubes and you're sorted. For me, there is a big difference between the HE and the VEGA + Aegis in every category (my ears/system). The Aegis allows me to make big changes to the finished sound to suit the genre and headphones I use. I'm not really a headphone amp collector either, I sold my Auris Nirvana because it wasn't receiving any use after the Aegis came along. But I do want the best sound quality possible from a relatively compact system.

I think for me, the Atom HE is really good but it is a fixed one in terms of its sound and, the type of sound signature I want for classical isn't always what I want for EDM or Rock/Pop etc. So, the HE felt like a middle road compromise at times... hence the change. It took a bit of tweaking over time (tubes) but I'm now 100% settled. Apart from the occasional top up of tubes I probably spend more on buying music now, which I feel is how it should be.

So yeah, the Atom HE is probably one, if not the best option when it comes to an All-In-One but the convenience does come at a price and sound quality can be bettered without making it complicated.... but at a price. And that's another strong point of the HE... you do have to spend a bit more to better it! Anyway, my thoughts on the Atom HE from use over time.
This give me a lot to think about. It’s not really price that’s the hold back at this point for me. It’s space. I have living room setup and the Naim just fits and looks great in this space. And as mentioned, believe tubes are out of the question because of my cat. So only thing I’ve seen at CanJam that fits my upgrade requirements would be something like the Ferrum stack. Has about same footprint as the Naim but just stacks a little higher. I also thought it sounded wonderful with the Caldera open. Even found the Ferrum booth at CanJam and gave it another twenty minutes. But it does remind me of the Naim in its presentation, so not sure how much improvement it would give. The Source AV carries it and the Naim, so now just need to find the time and the money.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #7,365 of 7,599
After a couple days with the Caldera, consider me firmly within team thick pads. The midrange into the mid bass with the thick pads is remarkably lush and detailed whereas I find the midrange and bass presentation with the stock pads thin and underwhelming. I also think the thick pads opens up a more tangible, 3-dimensional soundscape relative to the stock. I do understand why treble heads, in particular, would prefer the stock pads. I appreciate the extra treble sparkle and clarity you get with the stock pads, but not at the expense of that sweet, buttery midrange produced by the thicks.

Side note. This is my first pair of ZMFs. I was unfamiliar with the ability to bend ZMF headbands for a tighter/looser fit when I first received the headphones. I almost gave up on the thicks because of the clamp force until I, thankfully, watched the video of Zach demonstrating how to bend the headband. Now, after some headband manipulation, this set fits quite comfortably!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back