ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 18, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #3,227 of 8,309
Received my beautiful auteur teak today.
Wow wow wow Zach!
I think I need to try the Atticus now....

Really happy

Nice looking pair! I love when the grain goes different directions, on each cup. When it is like this, no matter what angle you are looking at them, the grain pops, on one cup or the other. My Aeolus are like this, and I love it.

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #3,228 of 8,309
@Psy974
I see. That's also a very nice cable. I might personally prefer pure copper for auteur though because to me auteur is inherently a bit bright. But that's me. Currently using atmos-c for my auteur.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #3,231 of 8,309
@Psy974
I see. That's also a very nice cable. I might personally prefer pure copper for auteur though because to me auteur is inherently a bit bright. But that's me. Currently using atmos-c for my auteur.
Interesting -- I've played the same game with Blackwood Auteur cables. Switch back and forth between Silver Dragon and Lazuli Reference. Honestly, I can't pick. It's not that there is no difference. Rather, that I like both. In fact, Blackwood Auteur is the one set of cans I can't seem to pick a 'favorite' chain for -- it shines no matter what!

Jun 18, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #3,232 of 8,309
Switch back and forth between Silver Dragon and Lazuli Reference. Honestly, I can't pick. It's not that there is no difference. Rather, that I like both.

Indeed same here. I've been whimsically switching atmos-c and verite silver. I like both. But verite more evidently favored verite silver, so auteur took atmos-c in the end.

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #3,233 of 8,309
Question, for those of you with brass fittings, how do you polish them? I assume any kind of brass polish (I know nothing about this) will work. Can you take off the covers off the HPs and polish them? My blackwoods look awfully tarnished compared to the shiny new brass on my Verite.

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #3,234 of 8,309
2FA354E0-4BDA-451C-9DED-B7DB0EA0FC10.jpeg

Did someone say Atticus?

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #3,235 of 8,309
How often do you really just take the headphone and stare at it...? I guess I don't understand this whole fascination.

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #3,236 of 8,309
How often do you really just take the headphone and stare at it...? I guess I don't understand this whole fascination.

You're doing it wrong.

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #3,237 of 8,309

Mostly half the time I pull it off headphone stand. The smell of the wood, the color of the wood, and that grill is a site to see.

I’ve been caught sniffing it....

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #3,238 of 8,309
Every single day. The wood has to be seen in person, to understand why. I have 3 pairs of ZMF in different woods, and while one is on my head, I am constantly staring at the other 2, in awe.

Chatoyance is mesmerizing!

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #3,239 of 8,309
every time i take them off and stick them on my stand i give them a long look. also as the day goes on and the light changes, i look at them, as the hue changes with the light. i also occasionally just hold them without the cables attached because i find the texture of the wood so fascinating. i personally love quality woodwork, and this is very high quality woodwork. it's a personal thing, some people love the look and feel of things, others just care about functionality. i'm guessing if you're asking this, you're the latter type.

edit - and don't get me started on my fascination with the aging of the wood. my pair look nothing like they did when i first got them. they've darkened to such a degree they don't even resemble the same wood (in a good way!).

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #3,240 of 8,309

The same could be said for a car. When you're in it and driving it, you don't know what it looks like (or how clean it is outside, etc.). But many people find value in the aesthetics (I know I do). If you don't, that's great for you and if others do, it's great for them. Personally, I don't stare at my headphones, nor do I stare at my cars, but I certainly admire them when I see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back