ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 25, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #8,296 of 8,329
The [somewhat] logical part of my brain says that if I pared down to two ZMFs, it should be my Caldera and Bokeh as they really seem like opposite ends of the ZMF spectrum. But I love the Auteur and it sits between them when I want best of both worlds.
The Caldera is the one ZMF i've yet to try :frowning2: You find it more neutral than the Auteur?

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #8,297 of 8,329
The Caldera is the one ZMF i've yet to try :frowning2: You find it more neutral than the Auteur?
I find the Caldera to be pretty neutral overall (I'm not the best at picking out specific FR changes across the spectrum though) but part of my comment is also concerning the technicalities where the Caldera is so fast and detailed and the imaging is insane; it is impressive to listen to. The Bokeh is fun and warm and engrossing so you kinda forget about the details. Caldera's also fully open vs Bokeh fully closed. The Auteur is neutral, but still has a bit of a bass bump, details and stage are great and present but maybe not the first thing you notice, and it's also semi-open, so for me it sorta sits in the middle.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #8,298 of 8,329
I honestly think the Bokeh/Auteur combo is probably the best complimentary sets you can have. You get the bassiest, arguably most musical ZMF in the Bokeh, and the most neutral and natural sounding in the Auteur.
I sent my auteur in for the classic upgrade and yeah i'd agree the bokeh and the classic compliment each other well. Especially since i've landed on the suede pads and solid mesh filter on the bokeh. But when switching to protein pads and no filter it gets a lot closer to the Auteur classic. still different in profile, but suddenly more similar in capabilites.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #8,300 of 8,329
*** Auteur Classic and Auteur OG each has its own special mix of virtues: the layering of Atrium, a tactile midrange magic for example. Is Classic "better" than OG? In the absolute, no one can say. Is Classic preferable to OG? Possibly for you ...
What he said re OG vs Classic 👍

The VO is definitely quite a faster & more detailed heapdhone but when it comes to timbre and tuning I prefer the AuC. To me the AuC strikes a perfect balance between good technicalities and natural timbre/tuning.
Auteur Classic is a better headphone technically (better detail, soundstage, layering), but there is a magic to tuning of the OG Auteur. The mids have a creaminess and intensity at the same time that’s hard to put into words. The Auteur Classic is much more neutral and natural, and that’s where its magic lies.

Well I traded my Auteur OG for a set of Aeon 2 Noire. Perhaps in the future I will re-acquire a set of Auteur. Still working on my Bokeh in finding the right tuning. I sometimes regret selling my Aeolus. I can't afford the higher end ZMF headphones.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #8,302 of 8,329
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #8,303 of 8,329
How is Piranga not sold? That is one gorgeous headphone.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #8,304 of 8,329
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #8,306 of 8,329
They look awesome. But I'd have to take out a mortgage to afford these.
I can help you with that. Home equity is a great way to get some ZMF gear.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #8,308 of 8,329
Call me dumb but could you clarify that please?
It was a joke; I work in mortgages. You’re not dumb, I’m just only funny on Fridays.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #8,309 of 8,329
It was a joke; I work in mortgages. You’re not dumb, I’m just only funny on Fridays.
THAT was funny and it’s Friday. It checks out 👍

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #8,310 of 8,329
Got my replacement pads in. Also got the new The Pro 2024 cable which you can see pictures of in this thread.

It's interesting to see how the lambskin perf pads have evolved over the last four years.

20240428_150451.jpg

Newer ones are below the older ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back