ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #8,266 of 8,321
It’s funny how interest in different models waxes and wanes. I started with Aeolus partly because it seemed a safer, more universally acceptable tuning, and partly because the pictures of the Canarywood limited entranced me. This was at the same time that the Atrium Open was released to much fanfare and acclaim. I was almost positive Atrium would be my next. But I keep reading these Auteur threads and I become less sure. I had to buy a VO in November because the prices were good and the stabilizing resin made it gorgeous. I’m a little shallow. I fall in love too easily. Right now I’m leaning toward Auteur before Atrium. So often with ZMF it’s a matter of which one first rather than just which one. So far I haven’t started on the closed backs. I don’t know what I’m missing, but for some reason closed backs don’t appeal to me. Maybe I just don’t have a suitable use case. I’ve started enjoying IEMs in most cases where a closed back would be called for. That’s an entirely different subject I should search for what I’m sure are many lengthy discussions about the pros and cons of open versus closed headphones. I’m going to focus on AuC vs AO, likely in a limited edition, and for some reason I think my next model needs a brightly polished steel grill. Still shallow, but I’m okay with that.
Shallowness is welcome! The good news is that you can fall in love with many headphones at a time and none of your other headphones will actually get jealous 😛

My journey was similar. Started with the Aeolus, then the Auteur (OG), then the Verite Closed, Verite Open, back to the Auteur (Classic this time), and now the only ZMF I’m dying to own is the Caldera. Never really fell for the closed backs as much as the open backs, but I still haven’t tried the Atrium Closed (didn’t like the open, after many lengthy auditions), Bokeh, or Caldera Closed.

I think it says a lot that the only ZMF I own after all that is the Auteur Classic. I loved the Aeolus, but after a while, the excitement of it wore off on me. My love for the AuC, even though it started off lukewarm, just keeps deepening with time. Get ready to fall in love all over again!

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #8,267 of 8,321
My story began with Eikons - not my preffered tuning they had. Next were Atticus - fun headphones which I liked more but technicalities were hmmm below my expectations to put it mildly. I gave a third and last try with Auteur Teak OG. I'm so happy I did one more try with ZMF headphones. They are beautiful and sounds amazing ! The most dense and musicality I ever heard. Great micro detail. So natural and sweet liquid sound. Wonderful vocals and analog tonality. I'm listening from xDuoo XD05 Pro with AKM 4499EX DAC module and sometimes connected to Aune S17 Pro but they sound good also from Tanchjim Space dongle inserted to PC USB port. About cable synergy I do preffer using my own made balanced cable based on Viablue EPC-4 (on photo OCC cable just to make them look good in the photo lol )

Attachments

• ZMFA1.JPG
    ZMFA1.JPG
    774.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #8,268 of 8,321
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #8,269 of 8,321
Who comes up with the model names for all these masterpieces? How? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤪.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #8,272 of 8,321
New BBB strap and new pads acquired for my Auteur OG. First impressions are pretty great!

The triple B strap is like night and day, much more supportive than my old OG strap.

I went with the Auteur Perf Hybrids pads, don't regret it at all so far.

Bass and low mids have much more space in the stage. The old stock pads always felt too intimate in the bass and now its much more accurate.
Everything else just seems more refined for now, plus the comfort is great!

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #8,273 of 8,321
Those who have purchased cables and pads from ZMF, how long is the turnaround? It's been a couple weeks so far for me.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #8,274 of 8,321
Those who have purchased cables and pads from ZMF, how long is the turnaround? It's been a couple weeks so far for me.
Depends on if it's in stock or not. If in stock it's fast, a day or less to get the shipping notice. If not in stock or custom built, a few weeks is about right.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #8,278 of 8,321
Anyone jump on the Mango LTD release? Post some pics please! I'm so tempted on that one, I miss the Auteur bad, and something about that look keeps beckoning to me. Like a siren to my wallet, it lures me to my demise... or bankruptcy!
I did! Ordered about 5 weeks ago, so guessing they should be here within the next 2-3 weeks. I'll definitely share some pics when they get here if you didn't cave by then lol.

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #8,280 of 8,321
Haven't had much time to listen to music this week, but I'm sitting down to listen again and had an interesting observation.

I think what I love most about the Auteur Classics is how natural and engaging they sound, immediately. When I owned the Hifiman Arya, also a great headphone, there was always a very pronounced feeling like the details were enhanced and the texture thinned when I first put them on. The effect would wear off the more I listened. Even the ZMF Verite Open, HD6XX, HD600, HD8XX, and OG Auteur all had this "adjustment" period upon first listening.

Not these. It's like going seamlessly from real life to "real life."

IMG_8676.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back