ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 27, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #8,252 of 8,309
Has anyone tried the Auteur Classic with the Midgard or Asgard 3? Those are the 2 amps I own right now, and I'm curious how they pair.

I'd like to get a tube amp at some point, I'm going to do some research while I wait for the headphones to come in.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #8,253 of 8,309
Has anyone tried the Auteur Classic with the Midgard or Asgard 3? Those are the 2 amps I own right now, and I'm curious how they pair.

I'd like to get a tube amp at some point, I'm going to do some research while I wait for the headphones to come in.
I find the Auteur Classic to pair well with any amp I throw at it. You might get a slightly "dampened" sound with the Schiit amps you have, just because the output impedance is so low. So if you find yourself wanting a but more excitement and liveliness from the Auteurs, a tube amp (with the option of a higher output impedance) will definitely help address it.

That being said, I like my pair with both my Pendant and Archel 3. The former is vibrant, spacious, and supremely natural, while the second is studio clean with a more impactful and in-your-face presentation.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #8,254 of 8,309

I used to own an Asgard 3, and recently got a Flux Fa-22, which I feel has a similar flavor in its sound. The Fa-22 is my favorite SS pairing with Auteur Classic, so I'd be willing to bet it sounds wonderful with Asgard 3 as well.

My overall favorite amp with it has to be the Folkvangr. I couldn't get that combo off my head for all of last week. Valhalla 2 is supposed to sound like a mini Folkvangr, so it might be worth picking up while it's currently on closeout.

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #8,255 of 8,309
IMG_7678.jpeg
[Auteur OG (LTD Stabilised Takwin)]

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #8,257 of 8,309
Received an email from ZMF yesterday that the wood has been selected and machining will begin soon for my Auteurs. Guessing I have a few more weeks to go from here. Pretty cool to get status updates!
I think they missed an April Fools opportunity. Could have sent emails that said they were planting the tree that will grow into the wood for your headphones. With pictures. Leadtime depends on species, but 8-10 years is a good estimate. Then they could mention ongoing R&D into the use of faster growing materials for earcups, like hemp and bamboo. Would it be too much to show pictures of bottle feeding lambs with a note that most pad back orders will be cleared soon?

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #8,258 of 8,309
I think they missed an April Fools opportunity. Could have sent emails that said they were planting the tree that will grow into the wood for your headphones. With pictures. Leadtime depends on species, but 8-10 years is a good estimate. Then they could mention ongoing R&D into the use of faster growing materials for earcups, like hemp and bamboo. Would it be too much to show pictures of bottle feeding lambs with a note that most pad back orders will be cleared soon?
...... plus ZMF could use non-carcinogenic fertilisers etc. With the owner's card, one could get the disclaimer: "no undue harm came to the tree from which the wood for this headphone was harvested". šŸ˜‡

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #8,259 of 8,309
Would it be too much to show pictures of bottle feeding lambs with a note that most pad back orders will be cleared soon?
Omg šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ Yes, too much

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #8,260 of 8,309
It just seems like the Auteur Classics are massively slept on for how good they perform as a reference set.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #8,263 of 8,309
I'm pretty sure I'll be buying these for myself in November when the next sale rolls around. Does ZMF offer a 2.5mm balanced cable option?
Yes indeed!

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #8,264 of 8,309
Cool, I don't think I could see it on the store page. In that case I'll probably grab a 4.4mm and a 2.5mm balanced. Although it does seem comical having such chonky headphones and a cable with a teeny tiny 2.5mm on the end lol.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #8,265 of 8,309
Itā€™s funny how interest in different models waxes and wanes. I started with Aeolus partly because it seemed a safer, more universally acceptable tuning, and partly because the pictures of the Canarywood limited entranced me. This was at the same time that the Atrium Open was released to much fanfare and acclaim. I was almost positive Atrium would be my next. But I keep reading these Auteur threads and I become less sure. I had to buy a VO in November because the prices were good and the stabilizing resin made it gorgeous. Iā€™m a little shallow. I fall in love too easily. Right now Iā€™m leaning toward Auteur before Atrium. So often with ZMF itā€™s a matter of which one first rather than just which one. So far I havenā€™t started on the closed backs. I donā€™t know what Iā€™m missing, but for some reason closed backs donā€™t appeal to me. Maybe I just donā€™t have a suitable use case. Iā€™ve started enjoying IEMs in most cases where a closed back would be called for. Thatā€™s an entirely different subject I should search for what Iā€™m sure are many lengthy discussions about the pros and cons of open versus closed headphones. Iā€™m going to focus on AuC vs AO, likely in a limited edition, and for some reason I think my next model needs a brightly polished steel grill. Still shallow, but Iā€™m okay with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back