ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #3,256 of 8,342
Jun 27, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #3,257 of 8,342
Auteur owners that also own or have significant experience with the Atticus, i have a question. I got my Teak Auteurs Tuesday, and have been listening excessively since. One thing i'm finding with them vs my beloved Atticus is the mids seem slightly hallow and recessed in direct comparison. I wouldn't say the mids are recessed or hallow in general, just in comparison. Anyone else hearing the same thing? Where it really stands out to me are male vocals. Listening to The Doors, David Bowie, Van Morrison, etc, they sound farther away and less up front. I'm not sure if it's just the larger soundstage and air that's throwing me off, or what, but I keep thinking the mids should be a touch more up front. i'm getting used to it, but when i slip the Atticus on, it immediately seems much more forward. forgot to add, using the Auteur pads only for now until i'm comfortable with the sound. then i'll try the Eikon perf pads.

And shout out to Zach, my quote "B Stock" teaks look amazing! not a single flaw that i can see. when discussing them, he said he was b stocking them because the cups are mismatched. call me crazy, but i dont see it, they're beautiful. i'll post a few pics once i set up my lighting rig so i can properly image them.

Jun 27, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #3,259 of 8,342
Auteur owners that also own or have significant experience with the Atticus, i have a question. I got my Teak Auteurs Tuesday, and have been listening excessively since. One thing i'm finding with them vs my beloved Atticus is the mids seem slightly hallow and recessed in direct comparison. I wouldn't say the mids are recessed or hallow in general, just in comparison. Anyone else hearing the same thing? Where it really stands out to me are male vocals. Listening to The Doors, David Bowie, Van Morrison, etc, they sound farther away and less up front. I'm not sure if it's just the larger soundstage and air that's throwing me off, or what, but I keep thinking the mids should be a touch more up front. i'm getting used to it, but when i slip the Atticus on, it immediately seems much more forward. forgot to add, using the Auteur pads only for now until i'm comfortable with the sound. then i'll try the Eikon perf pads.

And shout out to Zach, my quote "B Stock" teaks look amazing! not a single flaw that i can see. when discussing them, he said he was b stocking them because the cups are mismatched. call me crazy, but i dont see it, they're beautiful. i'll post a few pics once i set up my lighting rig so i can properly image them.

I have both, and Atticus is for sure the warmer headphone.

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #3,260 of 8,342
...the mids seem slightly hallow and recessed in direct comparison...they sound farther away and less up front. I'm not sure if it's just the larger soundstage and air that's throwing me off...
I don't own Atticus. However, I perceived the same thing with my Ether 2. They have a very deep headstage, and some vocals sounded recessed. After a bit of listening, I realized that the 3d stage was literally moving some vocals 'back'. I haven't really noticed that with my Blackwood Auteur -- perhaps a wood difference.

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #3,261 of 8,342

And shout out to Zach, my quote "B Stock" teaks look amazing! not a single flaw that i can see. when discussing them, he said he was b stocking them because the cups are mismatched. call me crazy, but i do not see it, they're beautiful. i'll post a few pics once i set up my lighting rig so i can properly image them.

I would suggest some more burn in time before making any judgement on the mids...My first listen with my new to me Cocobollo's was nothing like the first listen of a used pair of Blackwoods I had and i was a bit disappointed. But after about 30-50 hours they hit their stride and now are very full in the mids. The bass has also improved after some burn in time.

I found the Eikon pads to be a fun experience and used them for a few weeks before going back to the more neutral Auteur pads. Back on the Auteur pads I find myself questioning why I ever tried the Eikon pads. Very cool headphone that can change so drastically small pad differences.

Keith

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #3,262 of 8,342
One thing i'm finding with them vs my beloved Atticus is the mids seem slightly hallow and recessed in direct comparison. I wouldn't say the mids are recessed or hallow in general, just in comparison. Anyone else hearing the same thing?
I think it's a matter of burn-in. Out of the box my Auteur had this bloom in the bass that I completely didn't expect it to have. I mean, it sounded like the AFO with more forward mids. But this bloom in the bass disappeared quite quickly, as did the slightly overly sparkly highs. My Auteur is just excellent now. I'm extremely happy with it.

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #3,263 of 8,342
I don't own Atticus. However, I perceived the same thing with my Ether 2. They have a very deep headstage, and some vocals sounded recessed. After a bit of listening, I realized that the 3d stage was literally moving some vocals 'back'. I haven't really noticed that with my Blackwood Auteur -- perhaps a wood difference.
As many have said, I think burn in is the main thing going on here. i'm noticing the bass seems slightly softer but with better textural information, and the highs are losing the hard edge they had when i first gave them a listen. i'm sure some brain burn in is at play as well haha. But the more i listen, the more i'm really loving this set. and you are spot on with your comment about the stage. the Atticus has a moderate size stage with moderate dimensional placement. The Auteur is larger with much more spacing in it's placement. Where the Atticus puts most of the information relatively close to your ears, with only moderate space between them, the Auteur stretches it out in all directions, giving a much more diffuse and open stage. as i'm learning the Auteur's signature, more and more i'm realizing what i mistook for sound recession is actually just the larger stage.

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #3,264 of 8,342
I would suggest some more burn in time before making any judgement on the mids...My first listen with my new to me Cocobollo's was nothing like the first listen of a used pair of Blackwoods I had and i was a bit disappointed. But after about 30-50 hours they hit their stride and now are very full in the mids. The bass has also improved after some burn in time.

I found the Eikon pads to be a fun experience and used them for a few weeks before going back to the more neutral Auteur pads. Back on the Auteur pads I find myself questioning why I ever tried the Eikon pads. Very cool headphone that can change so drastically small pad differences.

Keith
i do love how responsive the zmf's are to pad swapping. i go back and forth between the lambskin and suede ori pads on my Atticus, and it's such a different sounding set depending on the pads. i'll eventually try the eikon perfs on the Auteur but right now i'm still trying to get a sense of this set's base signature. burn in is definitely at play here though, i'm noticing it changing quite a bit as the hours add up. i let it run overnight the last two days while sleeping and that has been very helpful to loosen up those drivers and driver suspensions. the first few hours had me really worried because the treble was so hard and irritating. but it's already calmed down significantly, the hard edge is gone. it's still well extended, but not sibilant at all.

Jun 28, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #3,267 of 8,342
Tried 3 Auteurs yesterday,

Teak, Ambrosia and Manchurian

Ambrosia is the best can I’ve heard

Verite sounded “boring” compared and I’d take Auteur Ambrosia over Utopia anyday

Tested with Feliks Euforia and Echo ^
Agree to disagree on your assessment of the Verite, but I'm curious to hear what you thought about the Teak Auteur vs the Ambrosia! Did you find they sounded mostly similar??

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #3,268 of 8,342
Been running my Cocobolo and Blackwood through my Euforia. Pure bliss!
Good to hear, as I bought the Feliks Elise at Canjam SoCal last week to run my Walnut Auteurs. Delivery next week, I'm very excited.

Are you using stock tubes and if so, do they really get as hot as some suggest they do?

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #3,269 of 8,342
Good to hear, as I bought the Feliks Elise at Canjam SoCal last week to run my Walnut Auteurs. Delivery next week, I'm very excited.

Are you using stock tubes and if so, do they really get as hot as some suggest they do?

I am using the PSVANE CV-181 Mk2 Gold tubes along with TS 7236. They do get very hot as I basically use my amp as a heater in my mancave.

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #3,270 of 8,342
Received my beautiful auteur teak today.
Wow wow wow Zach!
I think I need to try the Atticus now....

Really happy

First time I've seen the teak with the silver grill, looks really good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back