ZMF Auteur Thread
May 8, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #3,856 of 8,309
Wanted to post a pic of my Auteur acquisition as well as the crack build I finished today! Schiit Eitr > Schiit Gungnir A1 > Bottlehead Mainline or Crack. Very Excited!!!

IMG_0895.jpg
Enjoy - sounds like a great combo

May 8, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #3,857 of 8,309
Ha - my Auteur is a twin to yours (Cocobolo and Brass fittings), such a beautiful combo IMOP. Great looking new amp amp as well. I am in OTL purgatory (AKA waiting list for a Glenn), so I'm jealous :)

The wait will be worth it, the GOTL is a very nice amplifier and a ton of fun to experiment with! Very happy I owned one. One option is to build a Bottlehead Crack in the meantime to tide you over, another person who is waiting for Glenn took this approach...they use similar tubes, so it would allow you to start collecting early too :) just an idea, the Crack is what got me started in all this craziness.

Edit: oh and I think it is a trick of the light, my fittings are actually aluminum, not brass.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #3,858 of 8,309
Has anyone experienced the weight difference between the magnesium and standard chassis?

Thinking of retroactively buying the magnesium chassis to reduce some weight but wondering how noticeable it will be (trying to avoid them slipping when I tilt my head forwards a bit as I work from home).

Edit: just rewatched Zach's headband adjusting vid on YouTube and tightened the clamping... doh. Still curious about the magnesium though if anyone has any experience :L3000:

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #3,859 of 8,309
Has anyone experienced the weight difference between the magnesium and standard chassis?

Thinking of retroactively buying the magnesium chassis to reduce some weight but wondering how noticeable it will be (trying to avoid them slipping when I tilt my head forwards a bit as I work from home).

Edit: just rewatched Zach's headband adjusting vid on YouTube and tightened the clamping... doh. Still curious about the magnesium though if anyone has any experience :L3000:
I haven't but, per the website "Our new Magnesium chassis reduces weight by 33 grams per headphone."

33 grams is not a whole lot of weight savings. Weight going from 500 to 467 does not seem like a change you would notice. If it were 100+ grams, then that would help. I could be wrong, but does not seem worth the cost of the chassis upgrade. However, shaving weight costs money. My guess is you could probably save more weight by adjusting where your cable hangs. Having it hang free vs resting mainly on a desk will reduce the weight hanging from your headphones. Just my $0.02.

May 16, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #3,860 of 8,309
Hey folks, there is life after tubes... The Auteur sounds fantastic with the Dave as well.

56D0665D-3E1D-45B7-A9FF-CB427D0D5074.jpeg

May 17, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #3,861 of 8,309
Looks like the Verite Closed LTD and Auteur LTD have been taken off the site. Dang was hoping to pick up the Leopard Wood soon.

May 17, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #3,862 of 8,309
Looks like the Verite Closed LTD and Auteur LTD have been taken off the site. Dang was hoping to pick up the Leopard Wood soon.
That means Zach will be posting new LTDs soon. I really liked the photos of the leopardwood so I placed my order last month. I’m sure the new LTDs will look great. I’m not into the stabilized wood look, I like the traditional wood tone the best.

May 17, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #3,863 of 8,309
Anyone here using Perf suede pads with the auteur? I am using the stock perf lamb auteur pads and was wondering what kinda sonic difference the perf suede might provide.

thanks

May 22, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #3,864 of 8,309
Just received my pair of LTD Auteurs and i'm having a blast burning them in. Also saw that Zach posted up a new LTD version of the Verite. Why do you have to do this to me Zach lol.

image0-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.png

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #3,865 of 8,309
Just received my pair of LTD Auteurs and i'm having a blast burning them in. Also saw that Zach posted up a new LTD version of the Verite. Why do you have to do this to me Zach lol.

image0.jpg
Gorgeous! Is that Zebrawood?

May 22, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #3,866 of 8,309
Gorgeous! Is that Zebrawood?
Yep, though in real life its slightly less orange. For whatever reason the lighting makes it more saturated in pictures.

May 22, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #3,868 of 8,309
Anyone here using Perf suede pads with the auteur? I am using the stock perf lamb auteur pads and was wondering what kinda sonic difference the perf suede might provide.

thanks
I am, but can't compare since I don't have leather Auteur or Eikon pads. Of the two, I prefer the Eikon suede. They sounded more full and I thought the stage was wider, but Zach has stated the Eikon leather vs. suede give a smaller stage. They've updated the pad page on their site sometime recently, which also explains that. They say nothing about suede pads for Auteur on that page, but have said elsewhere that suede pads are not recommended on the Auteur. I guess that means they sound even better stock in most cases than what I hear, which is pretty amazing.

May 23, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #3,869 of 8,309
I actually got a pair of Auteur perf suede pads last week and been going back and forth between the perf lamb and perf suede and so far, I prefer the suede because it lowers the treble ever so slightly. which in return, brings up the bass and mid bass a little. This combo works especially since i m using my auteur with my TUBA amp which is a little shy on low end.

I would love to hear other auteur owners opinions on this matter. Thanks for your reply bro.

May 30, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #3,870 of 8,309
Received some Brimar 6SN7GT drivers to roll into my Feliks-Audio Elise and the Auteur are just singing. I've never experienced female vocals this rich and organic. Auteur is a great companion for OTL amps and really responds to tube rolling, retaining it's basic character but highlighting the tube's strengths (and at times weaknesses) as well.

Rig.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back