ZMF Auteur Thread
May 30, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #3,871 of 8,334
Received some Brimar 6SN7GT drivers to roll into my Feliks-Audio Elise and the Auteur are just singing. I've never experienced female vocals this rich and organic. Auteur is a great companion for OTL amps and really responds to tube rolling, retaining it's basic character but highlighting the tube's strengths (and at times weaknesses) as well.

nice sabre and elise! may i ask what is the purpose of those feet under the feliks tho?

May 30, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #3,872 of 8,334
nice sabre and elise! may i ask what is the purpose of those feet under the feliks tho?

Some months ago I got into a phase of researching "accessories" - tried tube dampers etc...The only thing I kept was these Herbie's Audio Labs tenderfeet under Elise as I do think component vibration is deleterious. They're super easy to use (no adhesive), not too expensive so even if snake oil they're a keeper for me. YMMV. :smile_phones:

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #3,873 of 8,334
Hello, looking for some advice. Looking to buy an open headphone and wrestling between Arya, Aeuteur and Diana V2 - What I am looking is an open headphone to complement my Aeon 2 Close and Sony Z1R - I am into a warmer more relaxed sound signature( still with good detail) but i am looking for something with excellent sounds stage for classical and acoustic listening. Just for the value I am leaning towards Arya and Auteur instead of Diana Thoughts? thanks

Jun 4, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #3,874 of 8,334
Hello, looking for some advice. Looking to buy an open headphone and wrestling between Arya, Aeuteur and Diana V2 - What I am looking is an open headphone to complement my Aeon 2 Close and Sony Z1R - I am into a warmer more relaxed sound signature( still with good detail) but i am looking for something with excellent sounds stage for classical and acoustic listening. Just for the value I am leaning towards Arya and Auteur instead of Diana Thoughts? thanks

All of these are great options. Have you heard any of them? The Diana is great but overpriced imho -- the other two are competitive at almost half the price. Between the Arya and the Auteur, I think it's really just a matter of preference. (I've auditioned both a couple times, but haven't owned either, so take these impressions for what they are -- impressions.) The Arya will sound more open and "ethereal" than the Auteur, and it has better forward-soundstage depth capabilities. It's a little brighter (some people say there's a mild peak at 5k, it wasn't super noticeable to me), a little more resolving, and has faster transient response. The Auteur is a little "denser" and warmer, it has a richer and more organic sound than the Arya. Don't get me wrong, the Auteur isn't overly warm or dark, it's actually quite neutral, especially compared to some of ZMF's other stuff. But I think it's more romantic-sounding and fuller than the Arya, and the timbre on the Auteur just struck me as being so natural and "correct." I found both headphones to be quite comfortable, but I'd give the edge to the Arya because it's lighter. That lightness comes at a cost, though -- in terms of perceived build quality, fit and finish, the Auteur easily outclasses the Arya. I think ultimately the Arya is a little more versatile if you listen to a wide variety of genres, and it's the better technical performer, but from what you've described in terms of your listening habits, the Auteur might be right up your alley.

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #3,875 of 8,334
All of these are great options. Have you heard any of them? The Diana is great but overpriced imho -- the other two are competitive at almost half the price. Between the Arya and the Auteur, I think it's really just a matter of preference. (I've auditioned both a couple times, but haven't owned either, so take these impressions for what they are -- impressions.) The Arya will sound more open and "ethereal" than the Auteur, and it has better forward-soundstage depth capabilities. It's a little brighter (some people say there's a mild peak at 5k, it wasn't super noticeable to me), a little more resolving, and has faster transient response. The Auteur is a little "denser" and warmer, it has a richer and more organic sound than the Arya. Don't get me wrong, the Auteur isn't overly warm or dark, it's actually quite neutral, especially compared to some of ZMF's other stuff. But I think it's more romantic-sounding and fuller than the Arya, and the timbre on the Auteur just struck me as being so natural and "correct." I found both headphones to be quite comfortable, but I'd give the edge to the Arya because it's lighter. That lightness comes at a cost, though -- in terms of perceived build quality, fit and finish, the Auteur easily outclasses the Arya. I think ultimately the Arya is a little more versatile if you listen to a wide variety of genres, and it's the better technical performer, but from what you've described in terms of your listening habits, the Auteur might be right up your alley.
Thanks for the comments appreciate it. Tough choices while I think ZMF sound Is up my alley, I think the Arya will be more of a contrast to my other headphones, but I am still concerned about built quality and customer service which I think ZMF is better.

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #3,876 of 8,334
Thanks for the comments appreciate it. Tough choices while I think ZMF sound Is up my alley, I think the Arya will be more of a contrast to my other headphones, but I am still concerned about built quality and customer service which I think ZMF is better.
I think the Auteur would be an excellent compliment unless I miss my guess, but you are indeed right, the ZMF build quality and customer service is TOTL.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #3,878 of 8,334

I have the Arya and am actually closely looking at the Auteur for a good contrast.

I love the Arya, but I'm looking for something that still has resolution/clarity but with some warmth/romance (I tried pairing the Arya with a WA6 and that did fill out the mids some, but its still not a very warm sound). Also something with some forwardness to the vocals, because I find those somewhat recessed on the Arya due to its large sound stage. I agree with what you said about the Arya overall.

The Auteur sounds like what I need: neutral warm to contrast to the Arya's neutral...uh neutral lol. Close to ordering...never had a ZMF before.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #3,879 of 8,334

I own both the Arya and Auteur... and if you're looking for warmer, go with the Auteur, hands down. The Arya is bright in comparison (but not overly bright by any means). I don't listen to much classical, but I do have some orchestral/acoustic stuff that I really enjoy with the Auteur. Also the ZMF build quality and lifetime driver warranty are amazing. The arya on the other hand is mostly plastic, and I had to return my first Arya because it had a channel imbalance.

I have the Arya and am actually closely looking at the Auteur for a good contrast.

I love the Arya, but I'm looking for something that still has resolution/clarity but with some warmth/romance (I tried pairing the Arya with a WA6 and that did fill out the mids some, but its still not a very warm sound). Also something with some forwardness to the vocals, because I find those somewhat recessed on the Arya due to its large sound stage. I agree with what you said about the Arya overall.

The Auteur sounds like what I need: neutral warm to contrast to the Arya's neutral...uh neutral lol. Close to ordering...never had a ZMF before.

Do it! The Auteur is very different than the Arya, and definitely matches the warmth/romance sound you're looking for. They complement each other well. I find myself reaching for both equally. You really can't go wrong with ZMF.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #3,880 of 8,334
Do it! The Auteur is very different than the Arya, and definitely matches the warmth/romance sound you're looking for. They complement each other well. I find myself reaching for both equally. You really can't go wrong with ZMF.

I'm really close to ordering, just gathering some final impressions. Yours helps a lot since you have direct experience of both so thanks!

Can I ask if the Auteur is comparatively as clear and refining/resolving as the Arya? My biggest fear in getting a warmer headphone is the loss of clarity/detail. Some is acceptable in trade for the warmth, but too much just sounds low or mid-fi to me.

Also, how are the vocals/mids with the Auteur? With some material with the Arya I feel they are too recessed or thin and I have to turn up the volume which leads to everything being louder and the vocals/mids not really standing out more. This is probably my biggest complaint with the Arya.

I listen to a lot of genres from all decades, from rock/metal/pop to all decades of jazz and all centuries (lol) of classical. Also folk, singer-songwriter, nonvocal acoustic, and a lot more (including a lot of subgenres). I'm looking for something to flesh out the sound with some of these genres but still retain the general transparency and resolution/refinement required to sound clear and not overly muted or veiled or dark.

Basically an Arya with a lesser more intimate sound stage, more of an "organic" or natural sound, and more warmth and romanticism (especially with vocals) would be a great contrast, if not even supersede the Arya, at least for some genres.

Thanks for any further impressions.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #3,881 of 8,334
I'm really close to ordering, just gathering some final impressions. Yours helps a lot since you have direct experience of both so thanks!

Can I ask if the Auteur is comparatively as clear and refining/resolving as the Arya? My biggest fear in getting a warmer headphone is the loss of clarity/detail. Some is acceptable in trade for the warmth, but too much just sounds low or mid-fi to me.

Also, how are the vocals/mids with the Auteur? With some material with the Arya I feel they are too recessed or thin and I have to turn up the volume which leads to everything being louder and the vocals/mids not really standing out more. This is probably my biggest complaint with the Arya.

I listen to a lot of genres from all decades, from rock/metal/pop to all decades of jazz and all centuries (lol) of classical. Also folk, singer-songwriter, nonvocal acoustic, and a lot more (including a lot of subgenres). I'm looking for something to flesh out the sound with some of these genres but still retain the general transparency and resolution/refinement required to sound clear and not overly muted or veiled or dark.

Basically an Arya with a lesser more intimate sound stage, more of an "organic" or natural sound, and more warmth and romanticism (especially with vocals) would be a great contrast, if not even supersede the Arya, at least for some genres.

The mids in general and vocals in particular are a major strength of Autur.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #3,882 of 8,334

Usual audiophile disclaimer: This is what I hear, and it may not be the same as what other people hear.

I think I tend to associate "clarity" with having well-defined (or maybe sparkle-y) treble. It seems like the clearer the high end, the clearer the headphone sounds in general. With that said, to me, the Arya has more treble sparkle and clarity. So with regards to that definition of "clarity", the Arya is probably a bit better. That's not to say the Auteur isn't clear. It's treble is a bit more smooth and a tiny bit more recessed to me. It's still very clear and resolving... just different. I can hear pretty much every detail of the music in either headphone.

With regards to vocals, the Auteur will fix your "thin vocals" problem. ZMF headphones in general excel at mid-range, where most vocals live. I definitely prefer vocals on the Auteur.

For Genres, The Auteur is my favorite headphone for rock and metal. It can get pretty visceral, which is missed with the Arya in metal. I also really enjoy acoustic and jazz with it as well. It's warmth can give some weight to string instruments. For other genres it's a mixed bag which headphone I like more. I tend to enjoy both headphones with most genres really. It mostly comes down to if I'm in a "warmer" or a "brighter" listening mood. I don't even consider clarity/resolution when choosing which headphone to listen to, because both are fantastic in their own way.

It really does sound like you're looking for something like the Auteur. It's everything you described as wanting, with really nice (different than arya?) clarity and resolution.

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #3,883 of 8,334
The mids in general and vocals in particular are a major strength of Autur.

Great, thanks! That echoes what I have heard from many sources.

Usual audiophile disclaimer: This is what I hear, and it may not be the same as what other people hear.

I think I tend to associate "clarity" with having well-defined (or maybe sparkle-y) treble. It seems like the clearer the high end, the clearer the headphone sounds in general. With that said, to me, the Arya has more treble sparkle and clarity. So with regards to that definition of "clarity", the Arya is probably a bit better. That's not to say the Auteur isn't clear. It's treble is a bit more smooth and a tiny bit more recessed to me. It's still very clear and resolving... just different. I can hear pretty much every detail of the music in either headphone.

With regards to vocals, the Auteur will fix your "thin vocals" problem. ZMF headphones in general excel at mid-range, where most vocals live. I definitely prefer vocals on the Auteur.

For Genres, The Auteur is my favorite headphone for rock and metal. It can get pretty visceral, which is missed with the Arya in metal. I also really enjoy acoustic and jazz with it as well. It's warmth can give some weight to string instruments. For other genres it's a mixed bag which headphone I like more. I tend to enjoy both headphones with most genres really. It mostly comes down to if I'm in a "warmer" or a "brighter" listening mood. I don't even consider clarity/resolution when choosing which headphone to listen to, because both are fantastic in their own way.

It really does sound like you're looking for something like the Auteur. It's everything you described as wanting, with really nice (different than arya?) clarity and resolution.

Excellent analysis. I agree with everything you said, especially about what I interpret as the Arya's more analytical distant "cerebral" approach not being the best for heavy rock/metal or genres that can benefit from some warmth, weight, fleshing out of the sound, or romanticism. I do like to listen to metal/rock with the Aryas, I don't think they sound bad at all (they at least sound good with this material), but I do think they sound better with metal/rock/pop that has some electronic instrumentation like 80's synths or the new 2000's wave of these sorts of genres. More organic 60's/70's rock, or 90's alt/grunge doesn't sound as "natural" or right in comparison.

I'm not worried about finding ultimate clarity or micro detail (if I was, I would have gotten the HD800), I just don't want to spend a lot on a headphone that I ultimately find too unresolving no matter what other strengths it has. What I'd like is simply a can as hi-fi as the Arya, just with a different tonality or sound signature for contrast and certain genres or moods, just like how I alternate between the more clear and crisp Gilmore Mk2 amp and warmer and "thicker" Woo Audio WA6 depending on genre and mood (both great amps). The Auteur seems to be this.

I'm convinced: I will order the Auteur soon and will report my findings after I spend some time with them. This might be late Aug. given the time frame on orders. Thanks all!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #3,884 of 8,334
I'm convinced: I will order the Auteur soon and will report my findings after I spend some time with them. This might be late Aug. given the time frame on orders. Thanks all!

Congrats on the decision! Glad I could help. I look forward to hearing your impressions. Also... Just FYI, ZMF offers a 14 day return policy with a 10% restocking fee for all STOCK wood headphones. So worst case scenario: you hate them, return them, and eat the %10 restocking fee. That's not bad for being able to try these out, since they're almost impossible to audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back