ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 23, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #3,841 of 8,342
The wood will definitely darken. I think I got mine under 3 months ago and they've definitely darkened. I would think a darker stain would hide most of the beauty. Mine are the rose gold ones pictured on the site. The most beautiful headphones I own, until my next 2 ZMFs arrive at least!

Not all woods darken much, but some darken progressively & appreciably (ie, cherry). The key is light exposure. If you keep your headphones in a place with strong sunlight, even just portions of the day, more darkening will likely result.

My home office is very low light--never any direct sunlight. My 3 wooden earcup headphones (Ori, Eikon, Aeolus) are stored in drawers or hanging on the side of a desk in a dark corner of the room. With these conditions, I've seen no darkening at all in my oldest, the Ori (ormosia henryi wood).

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #3,842 of 8,342
That must be it then! The room they're in is pretty bright with natural light, though they're never in direct sunlight.

Apr 28, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #3,843 of 8,342
Here's a post I put up (on that other site) while listening very late last night:
I said:
Staying up late rocking out:

DSHA-3F w/ nickel transformers ==> Auteur really drives it!

Followed up with some Afro Celt:

Plays to Auteur’s biggest strength, rhythmic sense. Definitely not a lullaby
:eek:
:)

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #3,845 of 8,342
BTW I'd never heard "Afro-Celt" before....damn nice, thanks!
Yep, right up my alley, a little ambient/space. a little world, a little 'something different'. And Auteur really showcases them!

Their first 3 albums have stayed in my playlists for ... well, ever since playlists became a thing for me :)

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #3,846 of 8,342
Its been awhile since I had the Aeolus on loan,and Ive never heard the LCD-X,so im not sure how much help I would be.

The Aeolus reminded me more of a HD650 than the Auteur does.

It also depends a lot IMO on how much value you place on mid bass slam. If you love tremendous slam,the Aeolus beats out the Auteur in that regard. The Auteur still has slam,more if you swap pads,but the Aeolus/Atticus driver brings the slam like no other.

I fell in love with the Verite,and chose the Auteur because it was more of a contrasting sound to the Verite vs. Aeolus,plus I already owned the Atticus and was looking for something different sounding.

Frankly you cant go wrong with either really,but you might want to get opinions on how the Aeolus performs with your amp. The general consensus seems to be that the Atticus/Aeolus driver is more amp picky vs. Auteur driver.
Very helpful, thank you!
I'm currently on the fence of selling my LCD X's and departing into the land of ZMF.

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #3,847 of 8,342
Very helpful, thank you!
I'm currently on the fence of selling my LCD X's and departing into the land of ZMF.

Funny enough, I recently sold my LCDX and ended up ordering an Autuer LTD. Personally I found the LCDX a bit dark sounding for my taste which prompted me to sell it.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #3,849 of 8,342
Oh really? I'm not surprised, lots of people tend to prefer the ZMF sound over audeze. How are you liking the Auteurs? Post a pic!
I'd love to post a picture but they're still in the process of being built. Definitely will after I receive them.

Apr 30, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #3,850 of 8,342
Just want to update on which DAC I eventually decide to get. I got the Metrum Acoustic Onyx from Zach in the end. I actually heard it from Canjam NYC this Feburary and was quite impressed with Onyx->DSHA-3F->Auteur, so I pulled the trigger. Have been using it with my 789 and Auteur for the last two days, and needless to say, very happy with it. It's quite obviously a different sound compared to my SU-8. Now I can take my time to think whether I want to pair it with a tube amp like the DNA amps or a SS like the 3F:)
WeChat Image_20200430223953.jpg

WeChat Image_20200430223921.jpg

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #3,851 of 8,342
Very helpful, thank you!
Buddy of mine did the very same. Sold LCD-X, bought the camphor burl aeolus. He definitely doesn't regret the decision.

May 1, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #3,852 of 8,342
Funny enough, I recently sold my LCDX and ended up ordering an Autuer LTD. Personally I found the LCDX a bit dark sounding for my taste which prompted me to sell it.

I too sold my LCD X and now have the Aeolus. However, it was sold due to weight issues.

Nevertheless, I miss the sound of planar and am contemplating between having a higher end dynamic or planar to compliment.

coming from LCD X to Aeolus, you might miss some detail and neutrality along with imaging. But all in all the Aeolus is wonderful to bob your head up and down to whilst getting lost in the music.

happy listening :)

May 8, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #3,853 of 8,342
Wanted to post a pic of my Auteur acquisition as well as the crack build I finished today! Schiit Eitr > Schiit Gungnir A1 > Bottlehead Mainline or Crack. Very Excited!!!

IMG_0895.jpg

May 8, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #3,854 of 8,342
I finished up another amplifier build over the past few days, listening now with my cocobolo Auteur. Not too long ago I severely trimmed down my headphone collection to just the Auteur and the HD650 (old faithful). I haven't wanted for more ever since, the Auteur pairs well with everything I throw at it, and I am one of those people that think the HD650 can be elevated to a near TOTL level with the right upstream gear, gotta love that midrange. Couldn't be happier with my Auteur purchase, thanks Zach!

DSCF5615-2.jpg

May 8, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #3,855 of 8,342
I finished up another amplifier build over the past few days, listening now with my cocobolo Auteur. Not too long ago I severely trimmed down my headphone collection to just the Auteur and the HD650 (old faithful). I haven't wanted for more ever since, the Auteur pairs well with everything I throw at it, and I am one of those people that think the HD650 can be elevated to a near TOTL level with the right upstream gear, gotta love that midrange. Couldn't be happier with my Auteur purchase, thanks Zach!

DSCF5615-2.jpg
Ha - my Auteur is a twin to yours (Cocobolo and Brass fittings), such a beautiful combo IMOP. Great looking new amp amp as well. I am in OTL purgatory (AKA waiting list for a Glenn), so I'm jealous :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back