ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 19, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #3,827 of 8,339
Some awesome light from the setting sun shining on the maple:

auteur.jpgauteur 2.jpg
nice cans and REALLY nice pics. Is that the actual color or does the lighting make them a bit redder? I have what I guess are undied (undead?) Ambrosia's, and they are very blonde.

Apr 19, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #3,828 of 8,339
nice cans and REALLY nice pics. Is that the actual color or does the lighting make them a bit redder? I have what I guess are undied (undead?) Ambrosia's, and they are very blonde.
They definitely look more like the first pic in real life, the second one looks more orange/reddish because of the light. Its crazy though how different they look in different lighting conditions haha

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #3,829 of 8,339
They definitely look more like the first pic in real life, the second one looks more orange/reddish because of the light. Its crazy though how different they look in different lighting conditions haha

That wood is stunning. The best maple earcups I've ever seen.

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #3,831 of 8,339
Does anyone have any experience with suede pads on the auteur? if so which ones and how did it sound?

At the advice of some other members I tried out the Suede Eikon perforated pads on my Auteur, and they quickly became my favorite pads overall with those cans. They do a good job of preserving the bass quality while just easing back the bass quantity enough to make the Auteur a bit more relaxing/natural. Does a good job of preserving the air/stage of stock pads, as compared to lambskin eikon pads which make them sounds much more intimate. There is also just some sort of magic synergy for me with those pads that seem to make the Auteur even more revealing and detailed.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #3,832 of 8,339
Does anyone have any experience with suede pads on the auteur? if so which ones and how did it sound?
I posted earlier after about a month of using the Auteur suede and then trying the Eikon suede perf. To me they opened up the sound and I greatly prefer them. I know one reviewer only really liked them with the solid suede Eikon, but I found it increased the bass but made everything else worse. I've never heard them with any leather pads though.

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #3,833 of 8,339
I posted earlier after about a month of using the Auteur suede and then trying the Eikon suede perf. To me they opened up the sound and I greatly prefer them. I know one reviewer only really liked them with the solid suede Eikon, but I found it increased the bass but made everything else worse. I've never heard them with any leather pads though.
interesting stuff, I'd really like to just spend a few days doing nothing other than trying all the zmf pads out and seeing which ones I prefer the most lol. I'm looking for a pad that makes the stage on the auteur wider/more expansive, and for some reason i feel like suede might accomplish this. but i hear that suede also can lead to a more neutral sound which might suck all the life out of the auteur. I definitely dont want less bass, I think the bass with the stock auteur pads is perfect. maybe i'm looking for a unicorn here, probably...

and honestly the more i listen to the stock pads the more i realize how great the stage is. so im probably just being too picky lol

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #3,834 of 8,339
Does anyone have a picture of the LTDs in a darker stain? I put in my order but been going back and forth on whether to ask Zach & Bevin to stain the cups a darker color.

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #3,835 of 8,339
Here's mine but not LTD.

lkxPXIk.jpg

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #3,836 of 8,339
Here's mine but not LTD.

lkxPXIk.jpg

Appreciate you posting up a picture. After going back and forth I've opted to stick with the default color for the LTD. Those are some neat colored grills & rods did ZMF color them or was that done by someone else?

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #3,837 of 8,339
Appreciate you posting up a picture. After going back and forth I've opted to stick with the default color for the LTD. Those are some neat colored grills & rods did ZMF color them or was that done by someone else?
The extra touches were done by ZMF.

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #3,838 of 8,339
The extra touches were done by ZMF.
These are the b-stock Red cocobolo ones from November, right? Glad to see them again. I came so close several times but ultimately got different ones.

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #3,839 of 8,339
These are the b-stock Red cocobolo ones from November, right? Glad to see them again. I came so close several times but ultimately got different ones.
Yes they are :)

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #3,840 of 8,339
The wood will definitely darken. I think I got mine under 3 months ago and they've definitely darkened. I would think a darker stain would hide most of the beauty. Mine are the rose gold ones pictured on the site. The most beautiful headphones I own, until my next 2 ZMFs arrive at least!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back