ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 19, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #3,901 of 8,274
Been quietly enjoying the auteur for the past few months... What an incredible set of headphones. I'm now using the perf suede hybrid auteur pads which are also awesome, I much prefer the comfort of these compared to the stock perf lambskin. I didn't notice much of a change in sound though, maybe ever so slightly more open sounding due to the seal being different. Zach also sent me a suede strap and headband for free (I have yet to put those on) which was awesome!
@Noahdvs88 I appreciate your comment that the only noticeable change was a bit more "open" sounding with Auteur hybrid suede. I had heard that sude might decrease top end extension or muddy the mids...not so in your listening?

Jun 19, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #3,902 of 8,274
@Noahdvs88 I appreciate your comment that the only noticeable change was a bit more "open" sounding with Auteur hybrid suede. I had heard that sude might decrease top end extension or muddy the mids...not so in your listening?
Nope, I don't hear anything like that. I can't vouch for full suede pads though, but I would like to try a pair at some point. With the hybrids vs stock, there's not that much of sonic change. A bit more open sounding is what I personally hear, though there might also be slightly fewer reflections that are noticeable in the upper mids/lower treble due to the suede absorbing those more than lambskin does. So the sound is tad smoother as well. Those changes might sound big, but they really are only very minor changes to those areas described.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #3,903 of 8,274
They're the auteur perf hybrids, my bad. The only difference vs the stock lambskin auteur pads is the top covering material is suede

Thanks! That makes more sense, then, why the sound might be more subtle, assuming you are comparing directly to the Auteur lambskin pads.

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #3,904 of 8,274
:musical_score:"If you had to choose, if you had to choose" from Hamilton keeps going through my head.

The LTD Zebrawood was already the most beautiful headphone I've owned, and I was too thrifty to go for the Cocobolo Red when it was first available. I couldn't pass up the chance when I saw them listed here for sale recently. I have a thing for red, but boy that rose gold is also gorgeous. I'll have to go for that on my next, next ZMF! I'd even ordered a cord which matches either. Given I listen to the Auteur more than anything else the past several months, if I were to have 2 of something the Auteur would be it.

I can't tell any difference sound-wise and the Red is just 20g lighter.

But since I do have to choose, Cocobolo Red has my vote!

Will probably be listing the LTD this week unless I spontaneously grow a 2nd set of ears. Given this year, I'm not ruling out that possibility.

IMG_2687.jpeg

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #3,905 of 8,274
Can anyone compare the Audeze LCD-X? I’m looking for something I can use with my Hiby R6 Pro and FiiO btr5. I think I have sensitivity to midrange. I appreciate neutral, but have typically v-shaped music with eq for years. I’m looking for bass slam and something a bit easier to power with just a bit recessed mids. Maybe Araya would be an option, but I want the impactful bass and extension. Sundara? Eligia? Araya? I had the Focal Clear and they were too bright. I sold them and bought the Auteurs a couple years ago.

Also, cables match with Audeze and ZMF. 😀

it’s been a while since I’ve taken the time to power the Auteur with my Liquid Platinum. Sounding good... I’d say neutral.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #3,906 of 8,274
Can anyone compare the Audeze LCD-X? I’m looking for something I can use with my Hiby R6 Pro and FiiO btr5. I think I have sensitivity to midrange. I appreciate neutral, but have typically v-shaped music with eq for years. I’m looking for bass slam and something a bit easier to power with just a bit recessed mids. Maybe Araya would be an option, but I want the impactful bass and extension. Sundara? Eligia? Araya? I had the Focal Clear and they were too bright. I sold them and bought the Auteurs a couple years ago.

it’s been a while since I’ve taken the time to power the Auteur with my Liquid Platinum. Sounding good... I’d say neutral.
I had LCD - X around 4-5 years back so can't recall the SQ at the moment, but since then I have owned Fostex TH900, ADX5000. Have auditioned a few other cans as well but I am quite settled on Arya in planars & Auteurs in dynamic cans. For Arya, I would say, "they are kinda TOTL drivers in a budget package". The sub bass rumble is one of the best I have heard so far & they go really deep. They do need a good quality power though to get the best out of them. Testesd with a 45 DHT amp & the synergy was good.
Hope this will help.
TC & stay safe.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #3,907 of 8,274
I had LCD - X around 4-5 years back so can't recall the SQ at the moment, but since then I have owned Fostex TH900, ADX5000. Have auditioned a few other cans as well but I am quite settled on Arya in planars & Auteurs in dynamic cans. For Arya, I would say, "they are kinda TOTL drivers in a budget package". The sub bass rumble is one of the best I have heard so far & they go really deep. They do need a good quality power though to get the best out of them. Testesd with a 45 DHT amp & the synergy was good.
Hope this will help.
TC & stay safe.

Thank you sir. Now I'm wondering if I should just go for the lcd-2c.

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #3,908 of 8,274
I keep tweaking my system and over time improving my source and the signal path with a number of things, too many to go into here.

The Auteurs have certain, although mostly musically additive, resonances. Primarily on the Baffle. My first mod; creating a diffraction blanket from Sennie 650 inner pads, eliminated some refractions that were hindering absolute resolution and detail! Also creating a bit of mid-range to upper end hardness and a bit of brightness!

With that mostly eliminated I have improved a number of things. As a result they were sounding fine but seems like they were holding things back slightly! Serendipity...I was digging through my stuff and found a bit of second skin double thick car damping! Like dynamat but better! Cut a few small pieces and placed them around the periphery just outside of the diffraction ring/blanket!

Wow! More subtle details, a bit more speed, focus, energy, space, focus dynamics and PRAT! Tonally more neutral but also more musical! Upper mids and highs more at ease, slightly sweeter and airier! And even more snap and tone I'm the mid bass!

Yup!

Just saying the Auteurs bio-cellulose drivers are even better than what you think they are!

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #3,909 of 8,274
I keep tweaking my system and over time improving my source and the signal path with a number of things, too many to go into here.

The Auteurs have certain, although mostly musically additive, resonances. Primarily on the Baffle. My first mod; creating a diffraction blanket from Sennie 650 inner pads, eliminated some refractions that were hindering absolute resolution and detail! Also creating a bit of mid-range to upper end hardness and a bit of brightness!

With that mostly eliminated I have improved a number of things. As a result they were sounding fine but seems like they were holding things back slightly! Serendipity...I was digging through my stuff and found a bit of second skin double thick car damping! Like dynamat but better! Cut a few small pieces and placed them around the periphery just outside of the diffraction ring/blanket!

Wow! More subtle details, a bit more speed, focus, energy, space, focus dynamics and PRAT! Tonally more neutral but also more musical! Upper mids and highs more at ease, slightly sweeter and airier! And even more snap and tone I'm the mid bass!

Yup!

Just saying the Auteurs bio-cellulose drivers are even better than what you think they are!

Happy listening!
Hi. Are you able to post some photos?

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #3,910 of 8,274
After reading this thread on Reddit, and Zach's reply, I removed the acoustex fabric covering the Auteur's driver, and replaced it with thin cloth (for added protection) -- removed cloth and added tissue paper instead, toned the treble nicely. I have a wenge Auteur (I believe there are not too many wenge's floating around in the wild). I was wondering if anyone else has tried this, and what your results were?

The result is quite startling, as in it changes the Auteur's signature to be far less polite - which will not appeal to many Auteur owners - but also far more effortless in it's detail retrieval. It's like the HD800S and LCD-3 had a baby. (edit: after the tissue mod, this description has been updated to "a marriage between the Auteur and 800S"). I only stumbled across this "mod" yesterday, so I haven't spent enough time with it to know if it will stand the test of time. For now though, it has me and my R28 rediscovering my library.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #3,911 of 8,274
It's like the HD800S and LCD-3 had a baby.
Well, that's a terrifying thought. So much I dislike about both.

Thanks for sharing though! It's always interesting seeing what mods people come up with.

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #3,912 of 8,274
Well, that's a terrifying thought. So much I dislike about both.

Thanks for sharing though! It's always interesting seeing what mods people come up with.
Since I posted the above, I removed the cloth protection and replaced it with tissue paper (inspired by the toilet paper mod), and it's toned the treble beautifully. Now it's sounding like the Auteur and 800S had a baby :) btw the Auteur and 800S remain my two favourite headphones by a fair margin, so this little mod is sounding great to my ears. But like I said, let me see if it stands the test of time. For the moment, the sound is exactly where I want it, so I'm not going to fiddle any more than this. Will report back in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #3,913 of 8,274
Ok.. after an onslaught of audio without the acoustex fabric, something was just not sitting right. The Auteur's signature was a tad too bright, it only became evident after listening to many albums, and diverse albums at that. I decided to fit the acoustex fabric sheets again, and like magic, that quality Auteur sound signature I know so well returned, which for me, is as close to perfection as I have ever heard. Needless to say, I've done a full circle. I'm listening to my original Auteur with newfound appreciation. I guess sometimes we need to veer off the path a bit to truly appreciate what we have right in front of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back