ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 7, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #2,896 of 8,365
Been reading alot of ppl saying that the Blackwood Auteurs are heavy, but I think they are just fine. I can use em for hours on end, its very comfortable and the weight (for me) has been an issue
I think it’s more a matter of dialing in the headband- they’re heavy headphones to be sure, but it’s less the weight that winds up bothering me than if the headband doesn’t contour correctly.

Plus, it’s worth it for how damn great they look.

Mar 7, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #2,897 of 8,365
I think it’s more a matter of dialing in the headband- they’re heavy headphones to be sure, but it’s less the weight that winds up bothering me than if the headband doesn’t contour correctly.

I can feel they are heavy, but when I put them on, it'll disappear. I think its to do with the perfect weight distribution. Pads are damn nice too.

Mar 7, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #2,898 of 8,365
Been reading alot of ppl saying that the Blackwood Auteurs are heavy, but I think they are just fine. I can use em for hours on end, its very comfortable and the weight (for me) has been an issue

I spent years wearing helmets of various types, so the weight of the Blackwoods doesn’t bother me either, love them both.

Mar 7, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #2,899 of 8,365
Mar 8, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #2,900 of 8,365

I agree, the Wenge Auteurs are among the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever worn. Can listen all day without fatigue.

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #2,901 of 8,365
After wearing HE-500 and OG LCD-2 headphones for years and sometimes almost an entire workday (all day) there are not many headphones that cause wear fatigue. It's more so the genre/headphone combo that fatigue's my ears for more faster than a heavy headphone. And this day and age headphone companies have stepped up bringing back old suspension designs and improving on that tenfold.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #2,904 of 8,365
Does anybody here use a 300B amp with Auteur, or other ZMF 300ohm cans? Is it a good pairing, and any better than OTL amp?

Yes, I’m using the Woo WA5 with the Autuer and Vérité, it’s a match made in Heaven!

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #2,906 of 8,365
Glenn’s Amps are incredibly good, looking forward to seeing your feedback on how the EL3N plays with your ZMF!

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #2,907 of 8,365
Speaking of amps, I'm going to list my Liquid Platinum and Woo WA2 amps for sale in the next few weeks. Both these amps are great with the Auteur (and other ZMF headphones). I thought I'd give ZMF owners first crack, so hit me up with a PM if your interested.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #2,908 of 8,365
Well, briefly:

Very different headphones. Auteur are much more energetic, while HEKv2 are very laid back. It's odd, HEK are quite linear, present detail well, have well-extended bass which neither overwhelms nor hide. But...you have to listen for all that. If you just kick back, they sound nice/pleasant/smooth, but not demanding.

(a little aside) Utopia are the complete opposite, punch you in the ear with energy and detail, very demanding -- YOU WILL LISTEN!!! (end aside)

Auteur are much closer to Utopia than HEK. On a 1 - 10 scale (HEK == 1, Utopia == 10), Auteur are maybe 8. Auteur trades in some energy and detail for musicality.

Here's a visual (ignore the actual cans in the pictures).
Listening to HEKv2:

Listening to Auteur:

Listening to Utopia:

Now I got to understand what those pictures mean.. They are seriously funny.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #2,909 of 8,365
IMG_20190314_200914-02.jpeg

Portable Auteurs anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back