ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 22, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #2,926 of 8,271
@zach915m How do the Ambrosia Maple's sound compared to the Teaks?

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #2,927 of 8,271
WOW! More beautiful Auteurs. I can't afford another set - heck, I couldn't afford the pair that I have (thanks again, Zach). Could I just buy a set of finished cups? :D Maybe change them out myself once a year or so. :O

J.P.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #2,928 of 8,271
IMG_20190323_114106.jpg

Listening to Tsuyoshi Yamamoto's Midnight Sugar with the Auteurs is wonderful. Sooo many magical soul tingling moments. Absolutely jaw dropping.

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #2,929 of 8,271
How do they sounds running through your Fireflies? I was trying to offload this amp to get back into solid state but maybe I should hold onto it if it has good synergy with the Auteur.

I may be back on team cocobolo!

I like the pairing... but I don't exactly have a lot of sources to make comparisons against.

Those are gorgeous, is it Cocobolo?

Yup

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #2,930 of 8,271
DCAC3510-EE0B-49E7-9C1C-1A570A178C04.jpeg
Does anybody here use a 300B amp with Auteur, or other ZMF 300ohm cans? Is it a good pairing, and any better than OTL amp?
I listen Auteur Blackwood with Eddie Current Balancing Act. not 300b right now, it is px4, but going to buy new we 300b and hope it would be a great combo. right now it is also amazing sound)

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #2,931 of 8,271
the only problem with my Auteur - as you can see at the picture - one wooden cup is broken and I don’t know how to buy replacement or how to fix it. but the headphones are superb, like them very much. recently sold lcd-4, ether flow, utopias and some other ones - but still keep them.

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #2,933 of 8,271
I loved lcd4 very much and bought it 2 times. wonderful sound. but first time I sold them because they were very inconvenient and I couldn’t listen them more than 30-40 minutes in arm chair and even less at the desk. second time I sold them because they weren’t good pair with my previous amp.

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #2,934 of 8,271
now I want to try empyrean and ether 2 - they should not only have great sound, but also should be comfortable and great looking, it is very important factors for me also.

actually about 300b. I am now thinking about which 300b to buy. old WE is too expensive for me, so I am choosing between Takatsuki and new WE, which is announced now. what you could recommend for this amp?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #2,935 of 8,271
the only problem with my Auteur - as you can see at the picture - one wooden cup is broken and I don’t know how to buy replacement or how to fix it. but the headphones are superb, like them very much. recently sold lcd-4, ether flow, utopias and some other ones - but still keep them.

Similar experience, I’ve kept the Autuer and Vérité, selling both the Utopia and OG Abyss 1266. The former have a musicality that wins every time. Though it also points to how incredibly subjective our hobby is, go figure.

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #2,936 of 8,271
now I want to try empyrean and ether 2 - they should not only have great sound, but also should be comfortable and great looking, it is very important factors for me also.

actually about 300b. I am now thinking about which 300b to buy. old WE is too expensive for me, so I am choosing between Takatsuki and new WE, which is announced now. what you could recommend for this amp?

I haven’t tried the WE or Takati yet, but the mid tier 300b’s that are very good are TJ Fullmusic, and EML variants.

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #2,937 of 8,271
the only problem with my Auteur - as you can see at the picture - one wooden cup is broken and I don’t know how to buy replacement or how to fix it.
Damn! I'd lose my mind if I got even a small scratch on mine,let alone broken. If I may ask,how'd you break the cup? Asking for scientific reasons.

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #2,938 of 8,271
Damn! I'd lose my mind if I got even a small scratch on mine,let alone broken. If I may ask,how'd you break the cup? Asking for scientific reasons.

Monster asks with terror in his voice :triportsad:

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #2,939 of 8,271

You seem to be traveling nearly the same road as me. I currently own: Blackwood Auteur, Utopia, Ether Flow, Ether 2, Empyrean, HEKv2. I’ve never heard LCD4.

E2/Empyrean comparison is actually very interesting. Spare vs lush. I do find them both very comfortable, and both have great headstage. I like both, although with different amps. Empyrean seems too wet w/ LP, better with Bryston SS, while I prefer E2 w/ LP.

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #2,940 of 8,271

I don’t really remember. it just happened some time ago and last month I listen them as it is. not worry much about such things, it doesn’t affect sound much, but I would prefer to fix it. wrote to Zach, but he didn’t answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back