ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 14, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #2,911 of 8,367
Which dap is that? I find my Auteurs very underwhelming on my Fiio M9 (even balanced) compared to my desktop rig. Maybe ok for low volume easy listening but that’s about it.

The Autuers sound wonderful on the Hugo2.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #2,912 of 8,367
The Autuers sound wonderful on the Hugo2.
I have no doubt. For the price it should! Although I don’t consider the Hugo2 portable in the true sense of the word. Transportable maybe. Same as the ifi Micro iDSD. For the price of the Hugo I’d rather get an AK dap that will no doubt drive the Auteurs beautifully. But I digress.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #2,913 of 8,367
Which dap is that? I find my Auteurs very underwhelming on my Fiio M9 (even balanced) compared to my desktop rig. Maybe ok for low volume easy listening but that’s about it.
DX200 with AMP 4 ...drives the Auteurs easily

well, its to be expected. No DAP i have heard, regardless of price, can sound as good as my Desk Rig. But the DX200 is pretty good for a DAP, excellent actually

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #2,914 of 8,367
DX200 with AMP 4 ...drives the Auteurs easily

well, its to be expected. No DAP i have heard, regardless of price, can sound as good as my Desk Rig. But the DX200 is pretty good for a DAP, excellent actually
That combo costs as much as my desktop rig. So yes, I’d expect it to work well :) I was never expecting a $300 dap like the Fiio M9 to do the Auteur justice, so will upgrade if and when I consider taking the Auteur and/or HD800 our of the listening room. Portable headphones they are not!

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #2,915 of 8,367
That combo costs as much as my desktop rig. So yes, I’d expect it to work well :) I was never expecting a $300 dap like the Fiio M9 to do the Auteur justice, so will upgrade if and when I consider taking the Auteur and/or HD800 our of the listening room. Portable headphones they are not!

Hahaha well it is the next best thing, just glad the DX204 can do the Auteurs justice.

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #2,916 of 8,367
I have no doubt. For the price it should! Although I don’t consider the Hugo2 portable in the true sense of the word. Transportable maybe. Same as the ifi Micro iDSD. For the price of the Hugo I’d rather get an AK dap that will no doubt drive the Auteurs beautifully. But I digress.
AK Daps actually have very little driving power, DX200 and the new Cayin N8 are the most powerful ones out I believe :L3000:

I've been longing for an Auteur for about a year now, finally close to getting one. Looking to use the DX200 as a DAC/source and a well- priced tube amp below $500, any recommendations?

Considerations so far are the Vali 2, CTH, and something from Little Dot. I know absolutely nothing about tube amps other than their warm and more analogue, spacious sound (and that they are yet another rabbit hole that I am plunging myself into)

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #2,917 of 8,367
I've been longing for an Auteur for about a year now, finally close to getting one. Looking to use the DX200 as a DAC/source and a well- priced tube amp below $500, any recommendations?

Considerations so far are the Vali 2, CTH, and something from Little Dot. I know absolutely nothing about tube amps other than their warm and more analogue, spacious sound (and that they are yet another rabbit hole that I am plunging myself into)

You can get a basic GOTL for around 700.00 which will smoke anything even close to that price range. I spoke to Glenn last week and he is booked thru til early summer,so patience is a must.

You can also get a vintage receiver for ZMF headphones. Beautiful,inexpensive,versatile and warmer sounding than my GOTL.

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,918 of 8,367
You can get a basic GOTL for around 700.00 which will smoke anything even close to that price range. I spoke to Glenn last week and he is booked thru til early summer,so patience is a must.

You can also get a vintage receiver for ZMF headphones. Beautiful,inexpensive,versatile and warmer sounding than my GOTL.
Good info! I did not realize you could get one under $1,000, and that is good to know. . .

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #2,919 of 8,367
Tonight its
715jbEtLNcL._SX466_.jpg

Auteur w/ 2K cable thru the GOTL (Tung Sol JAN 6SN7GT Round Plate + Mullard GZ34 + RCA 6080)

Just Awesome!

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #2,920 of 8,367
Tonight its

Auteur w/ 2K cable thru the GOTL (Tung Sol JAN 6SN7GT Round Plate + Mullard GZ34 + RCA 6080)

Just Awesome!
Love that album! I bet Roger Waters voice sounds so real, with that rig, it has got to be insane!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #2,921 of 8,367
We finally got low enough on stock of Teak that I decided to buy some logs of Ambrosia Maple I found and fell in love with. This will be the stock auteur wood for the foreseeable future.

The finishing process is a bit more intense than most woods but the look is worth it IMHO. I haven't done it yet but plan on doing a few sets in a darker maple stain and matching them with Brass. Should come out looking nice! Here's a standard black set!
http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals

_DSC1907.JPG _DSC2022.JPG

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #2,922 of 8,367
We finally got low enough on stock of Teak that I decided to buy some logs of Ambrosia Maple I found and fell in love with. This will be the stock auteur wood for the foreseeable future.

The finishing process is a bit more intense than most woods but the look is worth it IMHO. I haven't done it yet but plan on doing a few sets in a darker maple stain and matching them with Brass. Should come out looking nice! Here's a standard black set!
http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals

Auteurs are the next big headphone purchase I would like to make, but come on....now how am I going to decide which model to buy!

Seriously beautiful headphones. I was really leaning towards the Cocobolos, but these Ambrosia Maples are very pretty.

-Now i need to figure out where my wallet is hiding-

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #2,923 of 8,367
Auteurs are the next big headphone purchase I would like to make, but come on....now how am I going to decide which model to buy!

Seriously beautiful headphones. I was really leaning towards the Cocobolos, but these Ambrosia Maples are very pretty.

-Now i need to figure out where my wallet is hiding-

Random picture passing through :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IMG_4396.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back