1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Auteur Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by PacoTaco, Oct 15, 2017.
First

Back
182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191
193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202
Next

Last
  1. Slim1970
    Lol, too funny!! :smile:

2. LCMusicLover
    For me that was T1g2. Perhaps I learned to limit my exposure from that experience.

Seriously, I've made a lot of changes (and spent a lot of money -- R2R DAC, tube-hybrid amp, Lazuli Ref cable) to get rid of that effect. With my current system, Utopia causes neither cochlear hemorrhage nor rupture of the tympanic membrane :)

ProfFalkin likes this.
  3. Monsterzero
    Thats great and all,but does it hurt your ears? :gs1000smile:

4. ProfFalkin
    Sorry, you will have to speak up. What did you say?

CoFire likes this.
  5. SilverEars
    @franz12 wanted a impression, so here it is

It seems the draw for most is the hand-crafted-ness of the headphone, but also the caveat is price quite high.

It is quite comfortable, and I can see why ZMF pads are so popular as I like the feel of the pads.

Sound however I wouldn't call it a technical achievement. There are better technical headphones out there that are open headphones (takinf account of price performance).

I think ZMF going open made much sense, and there are obvious reasons why good sound comes from open headphones.

I found the sig a bit of a V-shaped response with sharp treble that was bright on first listen. Bass was a bit tubby from the wooden-cups and it has that response that emphasizes acoustical instrumental sounds, but also comes off a bit beyond neutral when it comes to cup resonance than I prefer. It givew it a coloration one may or may not want added, and personally for me, it sounded a bit colored for my taste.

For me, Sennheiser 6 series even just performs so well for the price with a less colored response. If I want a tubby response, I also have a TH-X00 EB.

Also, I wouldn't consider it a highly technical headphone either, so if I wanted technicalities, it wouldn't on top of the list.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    franz12 likes this.
  6. LCMusicLover
    @SilverEars - which wood were you listening to? Also, which pads? Wood makes some difference, and pads change the sound quite a bit as well.

I will say I'm surprised to hear you call them V-shaped -- that's not what I hear.

Your ears, my ears :)

7. Wildcatsare1
    Would agree again, you’re one smart cookie :ksc75smile:, no V shape at all, the mids are fantastic.

Wes S likes this.
  8. franz12
    I was waiting to hear your thoughts. Thank you. Would you leave your impressions on electrostats you owned (statx, voce, etc..) somewhere else, when you have free time? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on them.

9. zach915m
    See below for a graph of an off the line auteur compared to the FR of my beloved HD650. I love the HD650! The auteur is RED (auteur pads) and the HD650 is dotted brown. My concern is mainly that there might be something wrong with your auteur? Can you send me a PM if you need us to check it out? It definitely should not sound V shaped as none of our headphones are tuned this way!

We certainly offer a myriad of options which I agree can be confusing - I think the perception is that the wood can change the frequency response when really it doesn't, but certain wood could cause you to have the subjective perception that the headphone sound more V shaped. Like teak having more decay or blackwood sounding more up front and faster. The pads do change the frequency response some - but not to a point of changing the character of the headphone.

HD650 - auteur.jpg

These measurements were taken on our Audio Precision system, AECM206>1701>515 in an anechoic box we built. DF compensation.

We are working on a webpage on our site to show our headphone measurements completely and I will explain some of my choices and how I get my final tunings for each headphone.

PS - If you just got your auteur in - definitely burn it in as well - the Biodyna driver is stiff, with a stiff rubber surround, everything relaxes substantially after 200 hours or so.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
    Wes S, whirlwind, jinxy245 and 3 others like this.
  10. Pharmaboy
    Utopia will make cranberry juice squeegee out of your right ear? Good to know!

Wes S, ProfFalkin and Bern2 like this.
  11. Sound Trooper
    I certainly don't think the Auteur sounds V shaped at all, in fact I feel that the Auteur has one the most natural sounding headphones out there. Vocals and instruments seems to float out of nowhere and the presentation is deep and wide. Compared to my HD6XX I feel that the HD6XX's mids have a little more meat, but in almost all aspects I feel that the Auteurs perform better. Nevertheless, both headphones are super capable and I can happily live with both and both are not leaving me for a long long time.

..... Bonus points for Auteur as Zach is a wonderful guy to deal with..

12. LCMusicLover
    Actually, that’s pomegranate juice.

Wes S likes this.
  13. gLer
    That is honestly the first time I’ve heard the Auteur called v-shaped. Doesn’t make any sort of sense in any level. I don’t even think I could EQ it to be v-shaped. And tubby bass? Are you sure you’re describing the Auteur? Maybe take Zach’s suggestion and send it in for a check because it ‘sounds’ all wrong. The TH-X00 - yes, that can be described as ‘tubby’, although it probably has the most ‘fun’ bass response of any headphone I’ve heard. As for the HD650, no question it has one of the best performance-for-cost ratios on the market, but if your budget stretches to an Auteur, it’s not even a question as to which headphone is the better choice (hint: the wood one).

14. franz12
    While Zach's measurements are showing that Auteur follows HD600's frequency responses remarkably, I was curious about how headphones might be measured differently by a different person. So I checked measurements available in the other universe.

On the section zmf auteur impressions and measurements section #18 in the other universe, his measurement shows that Auteur slopes downward gently from 0.4k to 5k by 10dbs.
    In the same section #30 also shows that Auteur has less energy between 1k-5k compared to HD650.
    On the section hd650 love appreciation thread #1 (measured by the same person), HD650 does not show a downward slope (though it fluctuates) from 0.4k to 5k.
    That may be why @SilverEars thought Auteur is v-shaped. W-shaped might be a better word to describe.

I just wanted to point out it is astonishing to see that headphones could be measured differently by a different person. But I know that it is extremely difficult to measure a headphone correctly. We all have different ears and listen to different kinds of music. So I don't want to make any further argument regarding this. Also, we are all hobbyist who love to play with new products at the end.

15. ProfFalkin
    It really helps to understand what it is you're looking at.

If you're getting this information from the Universe I think you're getting it from, there's a standardized compensation curve which is now applied to the measurements which will make the graphs look different than non-compensated graphs.

Yes, two rigs will measure a little differently, but having one graph slope up while another slopes down in this case does not indicate a different FR response. In this case, the "HD650 love and appreciation" thread measurements were taken before the compensation curve was finalized. To my knowledge, anyway. It also helps to know if any smoothing was applied, and how much.

The implication and/or insinuation that Zach's headphone sounds wildly different from one pair to another is frankly just wrong. I've heard 7 or 8 Auteurs between Friends, loaners, RMAF demos, my own pair, and mini meets to tell you with certainty that beyond the slight differences each wood brings that one Auteur sounds like any other Auteur.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
First

Back
182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191
193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202
Next

Last