ZMF Auteur Thread
Feb 15, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #2,809 of 8,335
If you plug HD650/6xx to that beast, the cans may scale to another Everest..

I do have the HD650 in the House, I’ll give it a listen after work.

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #2,810 of 8,335
There are definitely times I find the Auteur's a bit sharp on the upper mids, maybe that's a function of the music I listen to (metal). However it is definitely less of an issue when listening to less aggressive music, and I love acoustic/vocal music on the Auteur. To me the Eikon Pads accentuate that sharpness, so the Auteur pads have been the regular fixture.

Feb 15, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,811 of 8,335
...it’s truly my ‘Goldilocks’ headphone...
No, Auteur is MY Goldilocks headphone :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-auteur-thread.862918/page-61#post-14098907
There are definitely times I find the Auteur's a bit sharp on the upper mids, maybe that's a function of the music I listen to (metal). However it is definitely less of an issue when listening to less aggressive music, and I love acoustic/vocal music on the Auteur. To me the Eikon Pads accentuate that sharpness, so the Auteur pads have been the regular fixture.
Funny, I was finding Utopia too sharp, and my Auteur alleviated that.

Also, I agree that Auteur is great across genres, and also across source chains. I can change the sound with different amps, different tubes, different DACs, different cables. But I can't seem to make it sound bad :beers:

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #2,812 of 8,335
Am i going a little loopy?

i've had the auteur for about 9 months.
i tried the eikon pads a couple of times early on but they were taken off pretty quickly as the auteur pads were easily my preferred option with the eikon pads being packed away never to be seen again. too bottom heavy and unbalanced was my expert opinion.

i put them on again last night and there is no issue. now they are simply a tweak to the sound and very enjoyable

now we all know burn in does not exist (right?!?!) so it MUST be obvious that either the eikon pads mature in time when kept in a dark place like the zmf case OR the hotter days (summer here in Australia) expand the eikon pads and hence they work better and i should heat up these pads (say to 25 degrees celsius) in winter before using them

it's pure science!! it could only be one of those two things, right??!!
what else could it possibly be??!!??

what a great surprise

OD2m1LN.gif

PS: i may have just saved myself $1800 on the he6se....or at least postponed it for a while

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #2,813 of 8,335
So...you burned in the Auteur...or cooled off the pads (in a dark place)...or preheated them?

Seriously congrats...glad they sound better for you.

FWIW, Zach does recommend some burn in (which I was never really a believer in, but have slowly stared to change my opinion on) so if you tried the Eikon pads before burn in was complete, it does make some sense (with the assumption that burn in is fo' real).

Either way, I've started to learn "never argue with what your ears are telling you."

Enjoy!

Feb 16, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #2,814 of 8,335

i tried the eikon pads a couple of times early on but they were taken off pretty quickly as the auteur pads were easily my preferred option with the eikon pads being packed away never to be seen again. too bottom heavy and unbalanced was my expert opinion.

i put them on again last night and there is no issue. now they are simply a tweak to the sound and very enjoyable

now we all know burn in does not exist (right?!?!) so it MUST be obvious that either the eikon pads mature in time when kept in a dark place like the zmf case OR the hotter days (summer here in Australia) expand the eikon pads and hence they work better and i should heat up these pads (say to 25 degrees celsius) in winter before using them

what a great surprise

OD2m1LN.gif

PS: i may have just saved myself $1800 on the he6se....or at least postponed it for a while

I bet the Eikon pads would sound even more amazing if you kept them in a kangaroo's pouch!

Feb 16, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #2,815 of 8,335

what a great surprise

OD2m1LN.gif

Sounds like your brain burned in nicely! Glad you like them. :relaxed:

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #2,816 of 8,335

what a great surprise

OD2m1LN.gif

Great, same exact story here: < 1/2 hour w/ Eikon pads — now I have to go switch pads.

Feb 16, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #2,817 of 8,335
Great, same exact story here: < 1/2 hour w/ Eikon pads — now I have to go switch pads.
Yes. Thats how it used to be for me.

Last night though no problem at all. Over 2 hours.

Maybe I didn’t have my silver norne cable back then when i tried the eikon pads the first time. Maybe.

I’ll try the stock cable again later on today

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #2,818 of 8,335
Also, I agree that Auteur is great across genres, and also across source chains. I can change the sound with different amps, different tubes, different DACs, different cables. But I can't seem to make it sound bad :beers:
The Auteur is that much revealing. Just put on some s**t music and you'll "make it sound like s**t" :wink:
I did that for 10-15 tracks of a local band here (while cleaning up my hdd from useless junk) that are mastered very badly a couple days ago and didn't want to wear headphones for the rest of the day lol

Feb 17, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #2,819 of 8,335
The Auteur is that much revealing. Just put on some s**t music and you'll "make it sound like s**t" :wink:
I did that for 10-15 tracks of a local band here (while cleaning up my hdd from useless junk) that are mastered very badly a couple days ago and didn't want to wear headphones for the rest of the day lol
Absolutely spot on. I spent almost a full day with my Auteurs for the first time in ages yesterday, listening to good music, and if there’s a better headphone out there *for me* I’m yet to hear it. It keeps on surprising me, and after this long in the game, that’s quite something.

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #2,820 of 8,335
I feel the auteur has a healthy level of fogiveness and very good versatility

Users who are viewing this thread

Back