ZMF Auteur Thread
Feb 20, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #2,836 of 8,337
I am wanting another ZMF headphone in my stable....not sure if I want Auteur or Eikon...not sure I can make a bad choice.

I really like that Zach's closed cans still sound very much open and man that bass!
Between the two I would say go for the Auteur my friend. You already have the Atticus as a closed back ZMF. Or if you'll go with the Eikon prepare a tube roll to lower a small peak around upper mids / lower treble. The Eikon has a bit more subbass though :)

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #2,837 of 8,337
The Auteur are getting all of my head time, displacing the Abyss and Clear. I haven’t heard the Eikon, but I can’t think of a better primary use Can.

Your post caught my attention. I am interested with ZMF Auteur and have the Clear.

Would be interested to read your impressions as to what makes the Auteur grabbing more of your head time compared to the Clear? Most impression I read thus far seems to suggest they share, to some extent, similar qualities and I am wondering if they are distinct enough to keep both or if you have to keep one which would you choose?

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #2,838 of 8,337
Your post caught my attention. I am interested with ZMF Auteur and have the Clear.

Would be interested to read your impressions as to what makes the Auteur grabbing more of your head time compared to the Clear? Most impression I read thus far seems to suggest they share, to some extent, similar qualities and I am wondering if they are distinct enough to keep both or if you have to keep one which would you choose?
Would this also be of interest, you may have already seen it

http://earphiles.org/2017/12/zmf-auteur-zenith-pmx2-focal-clear-shootout/

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #2,839 of 8,337
Between the two I would say go for the Auteur my friend. You already have the Atticus as a closed back ZMF. Or if you'll go with the Eikon prepare a tube roll to lower a small peak around upper mids / lower treble. The Eikon has a bit more subbass though :)

That Eikon subbass is what keeps them in my equation...this will eventually be a tough choice

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #2,840 of 8,337
That Eikon subbass is what keeps them in my equation...this will eventually be a tough choice
Don’t doubt the sub bass chops of the Auteur. It has more (and better) sub bass slam than the Atticus I used to own, and the Elear/Elex I do own. When it needs to it’ll rattle your head.

Feb 20, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #2,841 of 8,337

I’ll be honest, I like the Autuer much more than the Clear, to me they have much better tone. The Autuer soundstage is bigger and they are the more musical of the two.

Feb 20, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #2,842 of 8,337
I agree with gLer. I own the Eikon, and have had an Auteur for loan.

I never found the Eikon treble peak to be particularly bothersome, and the sub-bass quantity of the Auteur is there when it's called for.

The Auteur just seems to even out a lot of the peaks and valleys.... Tones down the bass a bit, much more present in the upper mids, similar treble extension but not as sharp.

I love the Eikon, but the Auteur is a hella good headphone in its own right.

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #2,843 of 8,337
Capture.JPG
Been listening to a couple of albums of "Youngblood Brass Band" lately and the Auteur sounds overly impressive, transients seem on point, attack, decay, treble bite!! on point! What's magical is the Auteur's 3D soundscape, the instruments the band is playing are attacking my brain from all sorts of angles.

Shock & Awe!!!!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #2,844 of 8,337
I remember you starting off with the MCTH (I think), for sure the Lyr 3, then the LP, then you jumped to the WA5? Well played my good sir. I bet the Auteurs sound like heaven right now paired with that amp. All that’s left is some whiskey and a cigar for a most enjoyable listening session.

I believe a dram 'o whiskey is the most cost-effective system upgrade there is. :wink:

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #2,845 of 8,337
Yes. Thats how it used to be for me.

Last night though no problem at all. Over 2 hours.

Maybe I didn’t have my silver norne cable back then when i tried the eikon pads the first time. Maybe.

I’ll try the stock cable again later on today

Ya' know, I think maybe we overthink this stuff :wink:

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #2,846 of 8,337
Ya' know, I think maybe we overthink this stuff :wink:
Absolutely. I think my initial reaction to the eikon pads was from my gut though

Feb 20, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #2,847 of 8,337
Don’t doubt the sub bass chops of the Auteur. It has more (and better) sub bass slam than the Atticus I used to own, and the Elear/Elex I do own. When it needs to it’ll rattle your head.

More and better subbass slam on Autuer than Eikon? What?

I agree with gLer. I own the Eikon, and have had an Auteur for loan.

I never found the Eikon treble peak to be particularly bothersome, and the sub-bass quantity of the Auteur is there when it's called for.

The Auteur just seems to even out a lot of the peaks and valleys.... Tones down the bass a bit, much more present in the upper mids, similar treble extension but not as sharp.

I love the Eikon, but the Auteur is a hella good headphone in its own right.

Do you agree that the Autuer has more subbass slam than the Eikon?

I'm not doubting anyone here, I just want to learn more. I am really interested in the Eikon for it's subbass but if the Autuer his harder and is open, what does the Eikon bring besides being a closed back or semi closed headphone?

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #2,848 of 8,337

I'm not doubting anyone here, I just want to learn more. I am really interested in the Eikon for it's subbass but if the Autuer his harder and is open, what does the Eikon bring besides being a closed back or semi closed headphone?
No, if you re-read it, I said the Auteur has more sub-bass slam than the Atticus. I have no doubt the Eikon, being closed, has a little more down low than the Auteur, but likely, being closed, will have a smaller soundstage and a few erratic peaks due to cup resonance.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #2,849 of 8,337

No I definitely wasn't saying Auteur has more sub-bass than Eikon.

Eikon has more for sure.

I'm saying that the Auteur hits pretty hard down low when called for.

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #2,850 of 8,337
No, if you re-read it, I said the Auteur has more sub-bass slam than the Atticus. I have no doubt the Eikon, being closed, has a little more down low than the Auteur, but likely, being closed, will have a smaller soundstage and a few erratic peaks due to cup resonance.

The Auteur definitely does out sub-bass the Atticus, too. It's enough to satisfy a planarhead like me, while the Atticus always sounds like it's missing a little something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back