ZMF Auteur Thread
Jan 15, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #2,776 of 8,282
Blackwood vs Cocobolo GO!
I find Cocobolo Eikon preferable to blackwood Eikon. Less mids, lower treble, seems to have more realistic timbre to me. More refined highs, if a little less present. Bass curve doesn't extend as far, but more controlled. I have bw auteur.

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,777 of 8,282
I find Cocobolo Eikon preferable to blackwood Eikon. Less mids, lower treble, seems to have more realistic timbre to me. More refined highs, if a little less present. Bass curve doesn't extend as far, but more controlled. I have bw auteur.

Haven’t heard th Cocobolo Autuers, so I cant comment there, I know I love The Blackwood though.

A fun listen, Jimmy Smith, “Root Down, Live,” Jazz Meets funk!

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #2,778 of 8,282

Can't comment on the cocobolo, but I did have the teak and the blackwood for about 3 months.

The differences are very subtle. It took me awhile to really get accustomed to the blackwood signature so that I could spot the differences. I would say the Teak sounded a touch drier, but also bigger at the same time (maybe because of the added decay?). The blackwood definitely had a cleaner background and sounded a touch smoother. I had a tough time choosing which one to keep, ultimately kept the blackwood because of the ltd run wood.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #2,779 of 8,282
I've recently acquired the perforated Universe pads for the Auteurs. My go to pads for the Auteurs were the perforated Eikon pads. The wider and taller opening make images seem bigger but reduces depth. It almost feels like it's a cross between the Auteur and Eikon pads with smoother treble than the Auteur pads. It's still incisive but seems to almost do away with the some of the rough areas. I'm personally enjoying them.

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #2,780 of 8,282
Hello friends :)

I asked in this thread quite awhile back for help on choosing headphones, loved the auteur but went with focal clear (close second) cuz it was cheaper used

In the end I couldn't stop thinking about the Auteur haha, and sold the clears for one, oak variant

Just wanna ask, what amps would you recommend me for the Auteur? Currently using a JDS Atom. Thinking whether I should upgrade

Heard that tube amps are good with the Auteur. Which would you recommend for a more spacious, holographic sound and maybe, clearer vocals. Don't really want a big change as I like the Auteur sound

I've tried Feliks Audio Echo and it made me shake. Tried the Feliks Audio Euforia and it made me jizz uncontrollably, however the price made me stop

Wonder if there are any bang for buck kinda amp for Auteur? Thanks!!!

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #2,781 of 8,282
Basic GOTL.
Liquid Platium
BH Crack / Crack-a-twoa

Those are the only sub $1k tube amps worth a darn in my experience.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #2,782 of 8,282
Feb 1, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #2,783 of 8,282
I can confirm the Auteur pair excellently with the Liquid Platinum and GOTL.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #2,784 of 8,282
...Wonder if there are any bang for buck kinda amp for Auteur? Thanks!!!
I really like my Blackwood Auteur with my Liquid Platinum.

That said, the Auteur/LP pairing shows the least improvement vs pairing w/ SS amp compared to improvement of my other TOTLs with LP vs SS. (Re-reading, that may be the most convoluted sentence I’ve ever written — hope you can get the gist.)

Different sound? Yes. Better? Not that much. Auteur is already very musical, with well-defined headstage and has great bass. Gets a little more bass, maybe a bit better sense of rhythm, and slightly more 3d stage. But maybe loses a little vocal immediacy, and a little detail. Really, all subtle differences.

SS amp I’m comparing w/ is Bryston BHA-1.

I hear greater improvement with Utopia & Ether 2 from LP vs SS.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #2,785 of 8,282
Hello friends :)

I asked in this thread quite awhile back for help on choosing headphones, loved the auteur but went with focal clear (close second) cuz it was cheaper used

In the end I couldn't stop thinking about the Auteur haha, and sold the clears for one, oak variant

Just wanna ask, what amps would you recommend me for the Auteur? Currently using a JDS Atom. Thinking whether I should upgrade

Heard that tube amps are good with the Auteur. Which would you recommend for a more spacious, holographic sound and maybe, clearer vocals. Don't really want a big change as I like the Auteur sound

I've tried Feliks Audio Echo and it made me shake. Tried the Feliks Audio Euforia and it made me jizz uncontrollably, however the price made me stop

Wonder if there are any bang for buck kinda amp for Auteur? Thanks!!!

If you're up for a build, I can highly recommend the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball updgrade. I've tried them with the Burson Soloist SL, Cary HH-1 and Bottlehead Mainline, as well. While the Mainline sounds good, the Crack sounds better.

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #2,786 of 8,282
Thanks guys! Shall look them up :)

Btw anyone tried an amp called Darkvoice 336se? Is it any good?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #2,788 of 8,282
Thanks guys! Shall look them up :)

Btw anyone tried an amp called Darkvoice 336se? Is it any good?

Currawong gave some good review on Lyr 3...

Feb 5, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #2,790 of 8,282

Users who are viewing this thread

Back