ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 5, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #151 of 8,309
c2x1us1.jpg

ZMF AUTEUR IMPRESSIONS
Thanks for sending me these to check out Zach!!​
  • BASS: I find the bass of the Auteur to be tight and controlled. The sub bass is not as prominent as the mid bass but the hump in the midbass doesn't sound to have as high of an arch as the Atticus or the Eikon. It has good speed and is pretty punchy.
  • ATTACK/TRANSIENTS: Very snappy and decently fast. The tones are solid and dense enough that it makes the Auteur sound nimble and defined. Though it is not as heavy handed and rich as my Blackwood Eikon, it sounds more crisp and a little more clean cut with quicker decay.
  • MIDRANGE: The upper mids sound very much there with the Auteur pads without going into shoutiness. There are no dips in the upper midrange. The Auteur pads sound just a little zingy to me at times closer to the lower treble and around the upper mids but I actually like that as opposed to the Eikon Perforated pads. It gives it a bit more character and sizzle without becoming fatiguing. Very very very good midrange on the Autuer. The Eikon pads don't sound as forward in the upper mids but still don't dip like the Atticus.
  • TREBLE: The treble has decent extension and sounds very balanced. Again the Auteur may or may not have a little/tiny bit of sizzly/zing (not sure if there is any ringing or anything there)depending on the amp with the Autuer pads but nothing intolerably unpleasant to my ears. The Eikon pads are smooth as butter and really smooth over any irritations the drivers may be putting out.
  • OVERALL TONALITY: Very very well balanced. Perhaps one of the most balanced sounding headphones coming out now. The Eikon had good balance already and this one pretty much nails it. The only other headphone I have heard that hits sweet spots like this is the Code-X and the HD650. Very cohesive transitions from one range to the next
  • SOUNDSTAGE/SEPARATION/OPPENNESS: The area that I feel the Auteur improves the most over the Eikon is in soundstage width and separation. There is less reverberation from he cups and it sounds much better separated. The Eikon already has good separation. The soundstage is wider but not much deeper (as far as I can hear yet). The Eikon pads hold back the openess to me making them sound semi-open but the Auteur pads make them sound more open and airy to my ears. For this reason, despite me liking warm headphones, I actually much prefer the Auteur pads with this new release.
  • DETAILS: Just a bit of a step up from the Eikon. The resolution seems to be very good the microdynamics are great as is to be expected. It has good low level details especially since the decay is cleaner and the there is also less distortion around the details than the Eikon and Atticus.
  • BACKGROUND/CLARITY/TRANSPARENCY: The Auteur is a step up here from the Eikon and Atticus. In fact switching from the HD800 when I have the Auteur pads on doesn't leave me wanting more transparency or even separation. Perhaps a little more openness and of course the soundstage is not nearly as big as the 800 but the clarity is there. I would say this headphone really does have a blackground and sounds grainless and clean with my Aficionado.
I would say the only cons to my ears is that I just find that the EIkon pads limit the openness of the headphone making it sound semi-open. Other than that the Auteur sounds VERY good. It sounds like Zach took his time. Well actually I know he took his time because this has been in the works for some while now. Also in terms of technicalities, it is not giant killer(Utopia killer) but the tonality and adequate technicalities make it special in the market. It is an easy headphone to get a long with and its technicalities hold its price up very well.

Someone mentioned they wanted to see what I thought about it with the Milo. I like the Milo actually a lot but I don't find it ideal with the Autuer. I actually found it to hinder its openness and sounded just a little slow. It layered really well and provided good tonality. It is the closest to a tube amp I have heard in terms of timbre. The Pro iCan can't grip the Auteurs bass as well as the Milo but it sounds faster and more open and resolving, just not as layered. I need to do more comparisons to check on the resolution part but the Milo does not strike me as super resolving. I am gonna ruffle feathers here and just say that I prefer these ZMF headphones on tubes still overall and feel that I rarely, if ever, am able to hear the same snap, taughtness, solidity, microdynamics, and timbre that a good tube amp can deliver to these. Biased you say? sure. Does the Auteur sound good enough from a solid state for me to be happy? Yup. Ideal, nope.

Actually, now that I think about it, the only other high impedance high end headphone out there is the HD800 *edit and the beyerT1(really semi open anyway)*. This headphone is begging to scale up with gear. VERY scalable and it is very unique. I think Zach killed it with this headphone. I got some more listening on them now compared to my first impressions and this is pretty much how I feel my impressions will stay.
I absolutely love reading your write-ups. Please link to your review on earphiles when you do post a review! Posts like these really add something to the hobby that you don't get in others. Thank you!

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #154 of 8,309
That Auteur picture is crazy/beautiful...and I don't even much like wenge.

Speaking of Auteur pictures--thinking of the gorgeous teak photos recently posted--I noticed that the grain orientation on the Teaks is vertical (as compared to horizontal orientation in the wenge shown above). Am I crazy, or is that what I'm seeing?

If orientation is vertical, it goes against most of the Atticus/Eikon pix I've seen, where grain is usually horizontal, and looks wonderful w/those large, dimensional earcups.

My ormosia henryi Ori has vertical grain, which is perfect. But somehow, when it comes to A&E&Auteur, horizontal looks best to me.

Hoping to hear the Auteur & Atticus at CanJam/NYC in Feb. It will be nice to see both HPs IRL after all this virtual stuff.

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #155 of 8,309
Good eye! The detail on that picture that struck me the most was the grain flows in the same line as the "arm" and the connector...touches like that inspire the designer in me.
I zoomed the picture as much as possible and the wood really looks flawlessly finished...wonder how some age or wear will give it some nice patina!?
Also does anyone know if Zach and ZMF has attended Munich High End last year...that is the closest I am to seeing them in person.
Cheers :beerchug:

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #156 of 8,309
First, some photos of these beauties

Hey all, sorry for the wall of text, but I've had a pair of Auteurs in for review recently, and wanted to get more information out to everyone before the pre-order starts in a few days. If this should be somewhere else, just let me know.

Auteur Review

About me:

I am a lifelong audio enthusiast. I started my journey on a Fisher-Price turntable at age two, moved on up through my parent’s home audio system, a CVS speaker/disc player, a Walkman, a few iPods, some Skullcandy headphones, some random cans from The Sharper Image, then to OG Beats, Bose speakers, to a Klipsch 2.1 system and in-ears, I kept on reattaching my head and picked up some Beyerdynamic DT 880s, then received a pair of HiFiMAN He-560s as a gift, and realized just how high the gear pinnacle really was. Since then, I have been trying out various headphones. I have kept my favorites around, and will be using them as a reference against which to share how I feel about the Auteur.

I love at least a few songs from pretty much all genres of music, but the bulk of what I listen to is experimental/indie rock/indietronica, classic rock, folk rock, hip-hop, trip-hop, spoken word, melodic EDM, and French and Spanish rock.

My Setup:

For this review, I will be running all headphones through my Oppo HA-1, both as a DAC and a headphone amp. I will also offer my feelings of the Auteur out of a Feliks Elise, running Tung-Sol 6336a power tubes and Tung-Sol 6SN7 GTB driver tubes. The Auteur pads vs. perforated Eikon pads will also be compared through the HA-1, but the former will be used for the rest of the review. Music will be run out of my custom-built PC over Spotify Premium via USB to the HA-1. I don’t listen to FLAC for the bulk of my music, and I am most familiar with the tracks to be mentioned, so they will be my reference. The highest quality in Spotify was selected, and volume matching was turned off (the settings I always use). Volume across headphone comparisons was matched as much as possible with a BFX digital sound meter sealed to the headphone cups in a cardboard enclosure. All headphone cables used were OFC 4-pin XLR, plugged into the balanced output of the HA-1, with a Neutrik-terminated ¼” adapter used to listen to the Auteurs through the Elise. I have had the Auteurs around for a few weeks for the sake of this review.

Comparisons:

I will be comparing the Auteurs to the ZMF Eikon, Sennheiser HD800, and Mr. Speakers Ether Flow. All of which I own, and have listened to for a few months at the least.

Test Tracks:

I will be comparing headphones primarily across these, but also other tracks. I don’t make mention of every track in every comparison. I’ve tried to select fairly popular songs across a spectrum of music that I like and am familiar with.

Natural Causes, by Emancipator on Dusk to Dawn

Viices, by Made in Heights on MADE IN HEIGHTS

House of Cards, by Radio Head on In Rainbows

Peace Train, by Cat Stevens on Tea for the Tillerman

Hey You, by Pink Floyd on The Wall

The Four Seasons, Violin Concerto in G Minor, Op. 8, No. 2, RV 315, Summer III, by Antonio Vivaldi, performed by Adrian Chandler

Tamacun - Remastered, by Rodrigo y Gabriela on Rodrigo y Gabriela (Deluxe)

Warm Foothills, by Alt-J on This is All Yours

Boomerang, by The Uncluded on Hokey Fright

Build and Comfort:

If you have ever owned a ZMF headphone, this section is almost unnecessary. ZMF construction is perhaps unparalleled in its marriage of organic beauty and robust build. The Auteur is no exception, and brings to the table a headphone even lighter than the Eikon, with which this new can shares its drivers. Tipping the scales at around 475 grams, the Auteur takes the weight distribution system and comfort of the Eikon and Atticus, and uses it to spread an even smaller mass across your head. Combined with an open-backed design which allows heat (and obviously sound) to escape, a ZMF ‘phone has never been more comfortable. For those unacquainted, these headphones use a spring steel band wrapped in padded leather, with a thick leather suspension strap below, to evenly distribute pressure. Caliper pressure on my sample could have been a touch higher, but I expect that this is due to their being pre-production, and using non-standard hardware. Pads are plush, and due to the perforations on both sets of pads used with the Auteur, contribute to its low-heat feel.

The cups on my sample are a beautiful dark wenge wood, which may or may not go into production at some point (I’m not being vague about any information that I have, I really don’t know). Zach has stated that he is planning various wood runs for the Auteur, but whether this will be one of them remains a mystery. The hardware on this headphone is similarly somewhat non-standard. I’m told the gimbal design will be updated ever-so-slightly, and that the chrome hardware covering the primary venting for the headphone will be replaced by brushed metal finishes, and will be color-matched to the sliders (in nickel and brass, I believe). These “windows” take their inspiration from French stained glass, and along with the wood cups, certainly give the headphone a refined and artisanal look and feel.

Listening Impressions:

Bass:

Given that the Auteur shares a driver with the Eikon, one might expect a similar bass experience. However, sub bass with the Auteur was much more nuanced and balanced than it is with the Eikon (more on this comparison later). The Auteur’s bass in general felt spatially extended and textured, and had seemingly boundless room to play. The bass response was well behaved, and sounded flat across the mid and sub bass. Bass was not overly reserved; even through the Auteur pads, bass felt impactful, tightly controlled, and uncompressed. Don’t worry about only hearing where the bass is supposed to be, the Auteur can reach deep, and played back 20 Hz tones to ear-trembling effect. Overall, the bass response of the Auteurs was well integrated, and had a naturalness of decay yet to be experienced on ZMF headphones.

Mids:

The midrange of the Auteur felt airy, natural, and just barely on the warm side of neutral. Female vocals were enjoyable to listen to, and had well-articulated transient edges. The guitar pairing in Tamacun was well layered, and dynamic, although I want that song to sound faster no matter what system it is playing out of, the speed is just addictive. Cymbal crashes and taps, guitar strumming, and Cat Stevens voice all played around each other nicely in Peace Train, with the frequency response across the midrange giving no preference to specific instruments, beyond what I am familiar with in the recording. Vocals sounded forward, and guitar notes were able to echo and decay around the soundstage, and were well-placed. Perhaps I’d like to hear just slightly more meat behind low male vocals, but I’m really not sure, as this varies a fair amount between tracks, and I expect recording quality. The midrange felt quite close to where I want it.

Treble:

The cascade of violins in Summer 3, and their speed and finesse, were delightful out of the Auteurs through my HA-1, although these notes did sound more three dimensional and natural when listened to out of my OTL amp, but more on that later. Xylophone chiming in the opening to Boomerang rang out cleanly, yet maintained the intentional grain of the song, and did not come through as overly bright. While mid-treble did sound slightly elevated, it was not peaky, but rose and fell gently, adding a bit of sparkle to the notes sitting atop the warmer lower octaves. But even this tonal choice seemed to contribute to the overall natural timbre of the Auteur. Maybe it was the wood housing, or the gentle transition in loudness between frequencies, but these headphones felt coherent throughout.

Imaging and soundstage:

Transient edges sounded exceedingly natural through the Auteur, which helped to create a believable acoustic image. Upon listening to any random track, the soundstage of which the Auteur is capable may or may not reveal itself. Rather than making most songs sound artificially distant, the meat of most tracks sounded nearby, and well separated; only when recordings were actually staged with space was the impressive depth and dimensionality of these cans revealed. In House of Cards for example, several decay and reverb effects throughout the song took on an ephemeral quality as they ricocheted around my head, but guitar notes started off much closer to me. Listening to Strive, by Amber Rubarth, instrumentation was so well separated and far out of my head that I had to check that my speakers weren’t playing. Listening to the series of percussive shakes and tapping in Viices had me waiting to see where around me the next sound would come from. The image that the Auteurs created was somewhat of an ellipsoid, with its longest axis being the width of the image, although depth and height were also substantial. Soundstage size does not rival that of the HD800, but I don’t think Zach intended it to, and, more importantly, at no point did I want it to. Image specificity and the coherence of the music made the space in which it played satisfying and believable.

Solid State (HA-1) vs. Tube (Elise)

To begin with, I can only speak to the experience of using my HA-1 versus using my Elise (with the currently installed tubes) with the Auteur. There are tube-like solid-state amps, and neutral tube amps. I don’t want to try to classify either of my amps sound profiles here, but I like them both, and they each gave their own flavor to the Auteur.

My notes thus far have been referring to the experience of the Auteur out of the Oppo HA-1, so I won’t go repeating myself, and will try to characterize where tube sound differentiated itself in interesting ways.

As you might expect, the Auteurs sounded a bit more euphonic through tubes. Warmth was not the most prominent way in which this displayed itself, however. Instead, the various parts of each song blended into each other more readily. The image was slightly smaller than what I heard on the HA-1, but this may be just because the edges of sounds received gentle smoothing. Oddly, this did not interfere with relative placement of sources in the image much, if at all. The lower mids and mid bass were warmed up a bit and textured, but were far from sounding syrupy. This was especially true of guitar strumming. Violin notes sounded perhaps more natural, but I preferred the sharper character I heard out of my HA-1, especially in a track like Summer III. The differences were there with tubes, but they really did not make or break the experience for me. If you prefer tubes in general, the Auteur responds well to them, and likewise for solid-state amps.

Auteur Pads vs. Perforated Eikon Pads

This section will be brief, as there is not much to say. The perforated Eikon pads add a bit of weight and warmth to the lower octaves over the Auteur pads. Pad swapping certainly makes a difference, but when the change is largely pad depth and angling, the changes are less dramatic than a change in material or venting might bring about. As I understand it, pre-order Auteurs (I’m not sure about others) are going to be shipping with both sets of pads, so it is really up to you to decide your preference. The Auteur pads are certainly more neutral, but if you prefer the more classic warmth of the ZMF house sound, then take the perforated Eikon pads for a spin.

Headphone Comparisons:

Auteur vs. Eikon

This is perhaps the easiest comparison to make. The Auteurs are made with the same driver as the Eikons, by the same ear, after all. That said, the differences are likely larger and more diverse than you might expect. The Auteurs sound more ‘open’, but what does that mean? To start with, the Auteurs have a more even bass response than the Eikons. This does mean some of the deep reverberating rumble of the Eikons is missing, but it is replaced by an extremely satisfying bass response that feels more real, and doesn’t leave the mids feeling somewhat recessed like they did on the Eikons. Bass transient response and decay is also better on the Auteurs. While the edges of notes aren’t quite as fast, the transitions between them are much better resolved, and communicate the nuance of the music more completely. The treble of the Auteur takes cues from that of the Eikon, but smooths some of the peaks, largely through gentler transitions, ample decay, and an overall more balanced midrange to stand in support of them. The Eikon certainly has its place as a deeply satisfying closed can, and one which has earned a place in my heart, but the Auteur is the technically superior headphone, sacrificing very little for all the gains that it makes.

Auteur vs. HD800

The Auteurs make no attempt to be as aggressively detailed as the HD800. This is not to say that the Auteurs obscure information, rather, they allow you to explore at your leisure. Where the HD800 spreads a song thin over a huge surface so that each piece can be picked apart and examined, the Auteur creates a smaller, more dense sound, that contains a wealth of information to discover. In terms of perceived frequency response, the Auteur is dramatically more impactful, with more substantive and low-reaching bass, lusher mids, and better-balanced, if less sparkly, highs. The HD800 is dominant when it comes to image specificity and scale, and does a better job at providing sharp edges to track components. I am repeating a characterization of the HD800s made before, but compared to the Auteur, I can’t help but see them as an intellectual curiosity, and a tool. They are a marvelously resolving headphone, but sometimes I want to listen to music for the whole that it is, rather than inspect all of its nooks and crannies all the time. The Auteur allows music to flow in a much more organic way, without sacrificing the detail of the HD800, but makes these details a choice to engage with.

Auteur vs. Ether Flow

The Ether Flows are coherent, not overly bright, have solid bass, and their image is well-defined without being gigantic. These are probably the headphones that I own which are most similar to the Auteurs in terms of summed experience. Certainly, the timbre and general sound of the Eikons resembles that of the Auteurs quite strongly, but due to the open nature of the latter, and their overall more balanced character, they match more closely the experience of the Ether Flows.

The comparison then, is that much more difficult. Neither of these headphones makes any real errors in frequency response, and choosing between them comes down to preference, largely. The Ether Flows sound slightly more diffuse than the Auteurs, where the Auteurs have more dynamism to their sound across the spectrum. At the same time, this feature of the Ether Flows makes parts of the mix feel more blended, in songs that benefit from this. Portions of the bass and treble do sound quick out of the Ether Flow, but this seems more to be due to the relative volume of these frequencies compared to the low-mids of the headphone, as opposed to the actual speed of the Ether Flow’s response overall. The Auteur sacrifices some of this forced precision to paint a more cohesive image across the spectrum. Bass on both headphones is very solid, with the Auteurs able to reach lower, and providing a smoother transition into the lower mids. The Ether Flows also have a notch that was somewhat obvious on guitar-laden tracks like Tamacun, especially given the speed of the song, where the Auteurs outshined them on multiple fronts. The Ether Flows however do provide a slightly wider soundstage, and so better specificity and separation when listening to distant sounds. The treble on both of these headphones falls short of the extreme detail and brightness of the HD800 (for better or worse), but both do a fantastic job rendering elements in these octaves, with the Ether Flows having a slightly sharper sound than the Auteurs, again for better or worse.

Closing Thoughts

Unsurprisingly, the Auteur sounds like an open-backed Eikon, but what that means exactly, and the level of coherence that ZMF has put out are anything but a repackaging. Perhaps the greatest accolade I can give the Auteurs is to say that each time I listened to them in the background, I grew upset with myself that I would do anything but give the Auteurs my undivided attention. Unlike with the HD800, I was not being forced to listen, but enticed into a deeply satisfying experience. I strongly recommend that you try out these headphones at the very least. The combined musicality, aesthetic, and build quality that they provide is unrivaled. Thank you to Zach for lending me the Auteurs to review. It’s been a joy to have them around, and I will be sad to see them return to their home (for now).

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #157 of 8,309

Hey all, sorry for the wall of text, but I've had a pair of Auteurs in for review recently, and wanted to get more information out to everyone before the pre-order starts in a few days. If this should be somewhere else, just let me know.

Auteur Review

About me:

I am a lifelong audio enthusiast. I started my journey on a Fisher-Price turntable at age two, moved on up through my parent’s home audio system, a CVS speaker/disc player, a Walkman, a few iPods, some Skullcandy headphones, some random cans from The Sharper Image, then to OG Beats, Bose speakers, to a Klipsch 2.1 system and in-ears, I kept on reattaching my head and picked up some Beyerdynamic DT 880s, then received a pair of HiFiMAN He-560s as a gift, and realized just how high the gear pinnacle really was. Since then, I have been trying out various headphones. I have kept my favorites around, and will be using them as a reference against which to share how I feel about the Auteur.

I love at least a few songs from pretty much all genres of music, but the bulk of what I listen to is experimental/indie rock/indietronica, classic rock, folk rock, hip-hop, trip-hop, spoken word, melodic EDM, and French and Spanish rock.

My Setup:

For this review, I will be running all headphones through my Oppo HA-1, both as a DAC and a headphone amp. I will also offer my feelings of the Auteur out of a Feliks Elise, running Tung-Sol 6336a power tubes and Tung-Sol 6SN7 GTB driver tubes. The Auteur pads vs. perforated Eikon pads will also be compared through the HA-1, but the former will be used for the rest of the review. Music will be run out of my custom-built PC over Spotify Premium via USB to the HA-1. I don’t listen to FLAC for the bulk of my music, and I am most familiar with the tracks to be mentioned, so they will be my reference. The highest quality in Spotify was selected, and volume matching was turned off (the settings I always use). Volume across headphone comparisons was matched as much as possible with a BFX digital sound meter sealed to the headphone cups in a cardboard enclosure. All headphone cables used were OFC 4-pin XLR, plugged into the balanced output of the HA-1, with a Neutrik-terminated ¼” adapter used to listen to the Auteurs through the Elise. I have had the Auteurs around for a few weeks for the sake of this review.

Comparisons:

I will be comparing the Auteurs to the ZMF Eikon, Sennheiser HD800, and Mr. Speakers Ether Flow. All of which I own, and have listened to for a few months at the least.

Test Tracks:

I will be comparing headphones primarily across these, but also other tracks. I don’t make mention of every track in every comparison. I’ve tried to select fairly popular songs across a spectrum of music that I like and am familiar with.

The Four Seasons, Violin Concerto in G Minor, Op. 8, No. 2, RV 315, Summer III, by Antonio Vivaldi, performed by Adrian Chandler

Build and Comfort:

If you have ever owned a ZMF headphone, this section is almost unnecessary. ZMF construction is perhaps unparalleled in its marriage of organic beauty and robust build. The Auteur is no exception, and brings to the table a headphone even lighter than the Eikon, with which this new can shares its drivers. Tipping the scales at around 475 grams, the Auteur takes the weight distribution system and comfort of the Eikon and Atticus, and uses it to spread an even smaller mass across your head. Combined with an open-backed design which allows heat (and obviously sound) to escape, a ZMF ‘phone has never been more comfortable. For those unacquainted, these headphones use a spring steel band wrapped in padded leather, with a thick leather suspension strap below, to evenly distribute pressure. Caliper pressure on my sample could have been a touch higher, but I expect that this is due to their being pre-production, and using non-standard hardware. Pads are plush, and due to the perforations on both sets of pads used with the Auteur, contribute to its low-heat feel.

The cups on my sample are a beautiful dark wenge wood, which may or may not go into production at some point (I’m not being vague about any information that I have, I really don’t know). Zach has stated that he is planning various wood runs for the Auteur, but whether this will be one of them remains a mystery. The hardware on this headphone is similarly somewhat non-standard. I’m told the gimbal design will be updated ever-so-slightly, and that the chrome hardware covering the primary venting for the headphone will be replaced by brushed metal finishes, and will be color-matched to the sliders (in nickel and brass, I believe). These “windows” take their inspiration from French stained glass, and along with the wood cups, certainly give the headphone a refined and artisanal look and feel.

Listening Impressions:

Bass:

Given that the Auteur shares a driver with the Eikon, one might expect a similar bass experience. However, sub bass with the Auteur was much more nuanced and balanced than it is with the Eikon (more on this comparison later). The Auteur’s bass in general felt spatially extended and textured, and had seemingly boundless room to play. The bass response was well behaved, and sounded flat across the mid and sub bass. Bass was not overly reserved; even through the Auteur pads, bass felt impactful, tightly controlled, and uncompressed. Don’t worry about only hearing where the bass is supposed to be, the Auteur can reach deep, and played back 20 Hz tones to ear-trembling effect. Overall, the bass response of the Auteurs was well integrated, and had a naturalness of decay yet to be experienced on ZMF headphones.

Mids:

The midrange of the Auteur felt airy, natural, and just barely on the warm side of neutral. Female vocals were enjoyable to listen to, and had well-articulated transient edges. The guitar pairing in Tamacun was well layered, and dynamic, although I want that song to sound faster no matter what system it is playing out of, the speed is just addictive. Cymbal crashes and taps, guitar strumming, and Cat Stevens voice all played around each other nicely in Peace Train, with the frequency response across the midrange giving no preference to specific instruments, beyond what I am familiar with in the recording. Vocals sounded forward, and guitar notes were able to echo and decay around the soundstage, and were well-placed. Perhaps I’d like to hear just slightly more meat behind low male vocals, but I’m really not sure, as this varies a fair amount between tracks, and I expect recording quality. The midrange felt quite close to where I want it.

Treble:

The cascade of violins in Summer 3, and their speed and finesse, were delightful out of the Auteurs through my HA-1, although these notes did sound more three dimensional and natural when listened to out of my OTL amp, but more on that later. Xylophone chiming in the opening to Boomerang rang out cleanly, yet maintained the intentional grain of the song, and did not come through as overly bright. While mid-treble did sound slightly elevated, it was not peaky, but rose and fell gently, adding a bit of sparkle to the notes sitting atop the warmer lower octaves. But even this tonal choice seemed to contribute to the overall natural timbre of the Auteur. Maybe it was the wood housing, or the gentle transition in loudness between frequencies, but these headphones felt coherent throughout.

Imaging and soundstage:

Transient edges sounded exceedingly natural through the Auteur, which helped to create a believable acoustic image. Upon listening to any random track, the soundstage of which the Auteur is capable may or may not reveal itself. Rather than making most songs sound artificially distant, the meat of most tracks sounded nearby, and well separated; only when recordings were actually staged with space was the impressive depth and dimensionality of these cans revealed. In House of Cards for example, several decay and reverb effects throughout the song took on an ephemeral quality as they ricocheted around my head, but guitar notes started off much closer to me. Listening to Strive, by Amber Rubarth, instrumentation was so well separated and far out of my head that I had to check that my speakers weren’t playing. Listening to the series of percussive shakes and tapping in Viices had me waiting to see where around me the next sound would come from. The image that the Auteurs created was somewhat of an ellipsoid, with its longest axis being the width of the image, although depth and height were also substantial. Soundstage size does not rival that of the HD800, but I don’t think Zach intended it to, and, more importantly, at no point did I want it to. Image specificity and the coherence of the music made the space in which it played satisfying and believable.

To begin with, I can only speak to the experience of using my HA-1 versus using my Elise (with the currently installed tubes) with the Auteur. There are tube-like solid-state amps, and neutral tube amps. I don’t want to try to classify either of my amps sound profiles here, but I like them both, and they each gave their own flavor to the Auteur.

My notes thus far have been referring to the experience of the Auteur out of the Oppo HA-1, so I won’t go repeating myself, and will try to characterize where tube sound differentiated itself in interesting ways.

As you might expect, the Auteurs sounded a bit more euphonic through tubes. Warmth was not the most prominent way in which this displayed itself, however. Instead, the various parts of each song blended into each other more readily. The image was slightly smaller than what I heard on the HA-1, but this may be just because the edges of sounds received gentle smoothing. Oddly, this did not interfere with relative placement of sources in the image much, if at all. The lower mids and mid bass were warmed up a bit and textured, but were far from sounding syrupy. This was especially true of guitar strumming. Violin notes sounded perhaps more natural, but I preferred the sharper character I heard out of my HA-1, especially in a track like Summer III. The differences were there with tubes, but they really did not make or break the experience for me. If you prefer tubes in general, the Auteur responds well to them, and likewise for solid-state amps.

This section will be brief, as there is not much to say. The perforated Eikon pads add a bit of weight and warmth to the lower octaves over the Auteur pads. Pad swapping certainly makes a difference, but when the change is largely pad depth and angling, the changes are less dramatic than a change in material or venting might bring about. As I understand it, pre-order Auteurs (I’m not sure about others) are going to be shipping with both sets of pads, so it is really up to you to decide your preference. The Auteur pads are certainly more neutral, but if you prefer the more classic warmth of the ZMF house sound, then take the perforated Eikon pads for a spin.

Headphone Comparisons:

Auteur vs. Eikon

This is perhaps the easiest comparison to make. The Auteurs are made with the same driver as the Eikons, by the same ear, after all. That said, the differences are likely larger and more diverse than you might expect. The Auteurs sound more ‘open’, but what does that mean? To start with, the Auteurs have a more even bass response than the Eikons. This does mean some of the deep reverberating rumble of the Eikons is missing, but it is replaced by an extremely satisfying bass response that feels more real, and doesn’t leave the mids feeling somewhat recessed like they did on the Eikons. Bass transient response and decay is also better on the Auteurs. While the edges of notes aren’t quite as fast, the transitions between them are much better resolved, and communicate the nuance of the music more completely. The treble of the Auteur takes cues from that of the Eikon, but smooths some of the peaks, largely through gentler transitions, ample decay, and an overall more balanced midrange to stand in support of them. The Eikon certainly has its place as a deeply satisfying closed can, and one which has earned a place in my heart, but the Auteur is the technically superior headphone, sacrificing very little for all the gains that it makes.

Auteur vs. HD800

The Auteurs make no attempt to be as aggressively detailed as the HD800. This is not to say that the Auteurs obscure information, rather, they allow you to explore at your leisure. Where the HD800 spreads a song thin over a huge surface so that each piece can be picked apart and examined, the Auteur creates a smaller, more dense sound, that contains a wealth of information to discover. In terms of perceived frequency response, the Auteur is dramatically more impactful, with more substantive and low-reaching bass, lusher mids, and better-balanced, if less sparkly, highs. The HD800 is dominant when it comes to image specificity and scale, and does a better job at providing sharp edges to track components. I am repeating a characterization of the HD800s made before, but compared to the Auteur, I can’t help but see them as an intellectual curiosity, and a tool. They are a marvelously resolving headphone, but sometimes I want to listen to music for the whole that it is, rather than inspect all of its nooks and crannies all the time. The Auteur allows music to flow in a much more organic way, without sacrificing the detail of the HD800, but makes these details a choice to engage with.

Auteur vs. Ether Flow

The Ether Flows are coherent, not overly bright, have solid bass, and their image is well-defined without being gigantic. These are probably the headphones that I own which are most similar to the Auteurs in terms of summed experience. Certainly, the timbre and general sound of the Eikons resembles that of the Auteurs quite strongly, but due to the open nature of the latter, and their overall more balanced character, they match more closely the experience of the Ether Flows.

The comparison then, is that much more difficult. Neither of these headphones makes any real errors in frequency response, and choosing between them comes down to preference, largely. The Ether Flows sound slightly more diffuse than the Auteurs, where the Auteurs have more dynamism to their sound across the spectrum. At the same time, this feature of the Ether Flows makes parts of the mix feel more blended, in songs that benefit from this. Portions of the bass and treble do sound quick out of the Ether Flow, but this seems more to be due to the relative volume of these frequencies compared to the low-mids of the headphone, as opposed to the actual speed of the Ether Flow’s response overall. The Auteur sacrifices some of this forced precision to paint a more cohesive image across the spectrum. Bass on both headphones is very solid, with the Auteurs able to reach lower, and providing a smoother transition into the lower mids. The Ether Flows also have a notch that was somewhat obvious on guitar-laden tracks like Tamacun, especially given the speed of the song, where the Auteurs outshined them on multiple fronts. The Ether Flows however do provide a slightly wider soundstage, and so better specificity and separation when listening to distant sounds. The treble on both of these headphones falls short of the extreme detail and brightness of the HD800 (for better or worse), but both do a fantastic job rendering elements in these octaves, with the Ether Flows having a slightly sharper sound than the Auteurs, again for better or worse.

Closing Thoughts

Unsurprisingly, the Auteur sounds like an open-backed Eikon, but what that means exactly, and the level of coherence that ZMF has put out are anything but a repackaging. Perhaps the greatest accolade I can give the Auteurs is to say that each time I listened to them in the background, I grew upset with myself that I would do anything but give the Auteurs my undivided attention. Unlike with the HD800, I was not being forced to listen, but enticed into a deeply satisfying experience. I strongly recommend that you try out these headphones at the very least. The combined musicality, aesthetic, and build quality that they provide is unrivaled. Thank you to Zach for lending me the Auteurs to review. It’s been a joy to have them around, and I will be sad to see them return to their home (for now).

Very comprehensive review, thank you!

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #159 of 8,309

Auteur Review

About me:

My Setup:

Comparisons:

Test Tracks:

Build and Comfort:

Listening Impressions:

Bass:

Mids:

Treble:

Imaging and soundstage:

Headphone Comparisons:

Auteur vs. Eikon

Auteur vs. HD800

Auteur vs. Ether Flow

Closing Thoughts

Another fantastic review! Thank you very much Luxifer.

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #160 of 8,309

Auteur Review

About me:

My Setup:

Comparisons:

Test Tracks:

Build and Comfort:

Listening Impressions:

Bass:

Mids:

Treble:

Imaging and soundstage:

Headphone Comparisons:

Auteur vs. Eikon

Auteur vs. HD800

Auteur vs. Ether Flow

Closing Thoughts

Thank you for the very detailed impression of the Auteur and comparison to other headphones. Not much that can be added other than more comparisons.

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #161 of 8,309
Gotta say, I love me those wenge cups!!!

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #162 of 8,309
I’m interested in these but I wonder how the sound compares to the Klipsch Hertitage?

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #163 of 8,309
I only had a limited audition with a WA8 amp at RMAF. I thought they were too bassy and had too much treble for my tastes, which are warm/neutral. I REALLY like the Auteur though. I have a pair for review and will post measurements and impressions later this week.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #164 of 8,309
I’m interested in these but I wonder how the sound compares to the Klipsch Hertitage?

I've spent some time with both, and the Klipsch does not show well in comparison to the Auteur at all. I have no doubt those guys are going to crank out a great headphone at some point, but the Heritage is miles behind the Auteur, sonically.

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #165 of 8,309
I've spent some time with both, and the Klipsch does not show well in comparison to the Auteur at all. I have no doubt those guys are going to crank out a great headphone at some point, but the Heritage is miles behind the Auteur, sonically.

What components were used to listen to the HP-3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back