Zishan Z4 - DAP with Dual DAC ES9038Q2M | Dual AMP OPA1622 | USB 32-bit + DSD | Bluetooth LDAC 24-bit | Balanced 2,5/4,4 | LO/PO 3,5mm
Oct 28, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #362 of 620
Hello and thanks for all the info about the z4, but I have a question before buying it.

When connecting it to the pc in dac mode does it use the battery or the power of the pc?

I would like to use it as a desktop dac without degrading its battery.

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #363 of 620
Hello and thanks for all the info about the z4, but I have a question before buying it.

When connecting it to the pc in dac mode does it use the battery or the power of the pc?

I would like to use it as a desktop dac without degrading its battery.
You need to connect 2 cables one for DAC connection and second for charge from PC USB or external charger.

Oct 29, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #364 of 620
Z4 goes crazy.
I had bad feelings about buttons and this happen and I can't fix it in every way.

Micro chip who is working as decoder of buttons randomly "pressing" (sending message) to CPU to voume UP with no reason.

Can't fix it :frowning2:
Looks like PCB crack or cold solder on chip.
Any ideas?

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #365 of 620
Z4 goes crazy.
I had bad feelings about buttons and this happen and I can't fix it in every way.

Micro chip who is working as decoder of buttons randomly "pressing" (sending message) to CPU to voume UP with no reason.

Can't fix it :frowning2:
Looks like PCB crack or cold solder on chip.
Any ideas?
There's no IC that decode the buttons, it's the GPIO of the FC microprocessor, check any short on the modded phases (such as amps , power IC, etc.) also check the firmware versions, finally check cold joints on the microprocessor and the buttons. If they are like the digital board on DSDs they are a shi* (from my point of view) replace them.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #367 of 620
Hello friend, I hope you are well

I am interested in the Sizhan Z4

but I want to know what daps is equivalent in sound for the 4.4m?

is its sound better than that of the Fiio M11, equal to 4.4m?

What dap does the Z4's 4.4m stock output equate to?

Nov 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #369 of 620
Hello friend, I hope you are well

I am interested in the Sizhan Z4

but I want to know what daps is equivalent in sound for the 4.4m?

is its sound better than that of the Fiio M11, equal to 4.4m?

What dap does the Z4's 4.4m stock output equate to?
Hello @Rafinnnnnn15 I want to tell you about the Zishan devices are meant for DIY and optimizations by your self, currently I didn't own the Z4, but I own the DSD's (AK4499 and Dual 4497 by GAD) and they sound amazing but as I did tell you are meant for modding. If you own an M11 will have a better sound than z4 since FIIO fine tune the components and PCB tracks and z4 does not (this is an assumption). Zishan idea for those devices are we have the proposed implementations from the manufacturer (aka. ESS, AKM, CS, TI, AD) lets wrap all of this and get a simple device, if the customer wants to do it by himself. You can go and see the mods on the dedicated posts like The Zishan DSD or see it here. @Setmagic @Mr.HiAudio @PiR2 and myself could help you with the mods.

Translation to spanish: Hola, @ Rafinnnnnn15 Quiero comentarte sobre los dispositivos Zishan están diseñados para las modificaciones y las optimizaciones hechas por ti. Actualmente, no soy tengo el Z4, pero tengo los DSD (AK4499 y Dual 4497 by GAD) y suenan increíbles, pero como dije, están hechos para modding. Si tienes un M11, tendrá un sonido mejor que el z4, ya que FIIO ajusta los componentes y las pistas de PCB y el z4 no (esto es una teoria). La idea de Zishan para esos dispositivos es que utilizan las implementaciones propuestas por el fabricante (como ESS, AKM, CS, TI, AD), unimos todo y obtenemos un dispositivo simple, si el cliente quiere modificarlo lo puede hacer por sí mismo. Puedes ir y ver las modificaciones en las publicaciones dedicadas como The Zishan DSD o aquí. @Setmagic @ Mr.HiAudio @ PiR2 y yo podríamos ayudarte con las modificaciones.

Nov 7, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #370 of 620
Hello @Rafinnnnnn15 I want to tell you about the Zishan devices are meant for DIY and optimizations by your self, currently I didn't own the Z4, but I own the DSD's (AK4499 and Dual 4497 by GAD) and they sound amazing but as I did tell you are meant for modding. If you own an M11 will have a better sound than z4 since FIIO fine tune the components and PCB tracks and z4 does not (this is an assumption). Zishan idea for those devices are we have the proposed implementations from the manufacturer (aka. ESS, AKM, CS, TI, AD) lets wrap all of this and get a simple device, if the customer wants to do it by himself. You can go and see the mods on the dedicated posts like The Zishan DSD or see it here. @Setmagic @Mr.HiAudio @PiR2 and myself could help you with the mods.

Translation to spanish: Hola, @ Rafinnnnnn15 Quiero comentarte sobre los dispositivos Zishan están diseñados para las modificaciones y las optimizaciones hechas por ti. Actualmente, no soy tengo el Z4, pero tengo los DSD (AK4499 y Dual 4497 by GAD) y suenan increíbles, pero como dije, están hechos para modding. Si tienes un M11, tendrá un sonido mejor que el z4, ya que FIIO ajusta los componentes y las pistas de PCB y el z4 no (esto es una teoria). La idea de Zishan para esos dispositivos es que utilizan las implementaciones propuestas por el fabricante (como ESS, AKM, CS, TI, AD), unimos todo y obtenemos un dispositivo simple, si el cliente quiere modificarlo lo puede hacer por sí mismo. Puedes ir y ver las modificaciones en las publicaciones dedicadas como The Zishan DSD o aquí. @Setmagic @ Mr.HiAudio @ PiR2 y yo podríamos ayudarte con las modificaciones.
Adding a few comments: the Z4 audio qualities are excellent out of the box, which is great… but is also taking some of the moding fun away: it is too far beyond the point of diminishing returns, and I am not sure the potential for great DIY mods is there, at least not as it was for, say a DSD, or Z2-Z3. But I may be proved wrong!!!
Where the Z4 is clearly far behind DAPs like the Fiio M11 is software/firmware and unfortunately, there is no DIY mod available. This is a real missed opportunity for Zishan IMO: as the HW gets almost perfect, they should have opened the firmware DIY/mod gate to keep that ‘Zishan spirit’ alive.
That being said, the very fact that the Z4 is being put against the Fiio M11 still says a lot about the great basic sound qualities of the Zishan products… at a fraction of the cost!

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #372 of 620
This thread is idle since Nov 23.

Just received my Z4 from KRHIFI Audio. 0.2 firmware. Still have the misspelled "floder" plus some funny characters in front of "floder" when I scroll through. Oh well.

Q: How can I find out whether I have the "5" or "6" version without opening this baby up?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #373 of 620
Upgraded to 0.3. UI is much faster. Like 0.2, 0.3 has "ticking" sound when playing DSD256 11Mbits/s files. (My DSD AK4977 and DSD dual AK4977s have no problem with these files).

The buttons are not hard to push. Does this mean I have a version 6?
Will test BT and other sound quality before opening up this baby.

Dec 4, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #374 of 620
Just open it up... that's what Zishan is best for giving you the ability to do!

But wear a mask (if you want), you never know what could be floating in the air after... and vaccum.

[paranoia over] Lol.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #375 of 620
Just open it up... that's what Zishan is best for giving you the ability to do!

But wear a mask (if you want), you never know what could be floating in the air after... and vaccum.

[paranoia over] Lol.
Seriously dumb question. How to open this baby up?
Also I have yet be able to connect Z4 BT to anything.
Wait. Which direction does the Z4 BT go to?
I can "pair" my phone to Z4 via BT and listen (Phone) music from Z4. What about the other direction, sending Z4 music to a BT headphone? Am I the only one think this way?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back