Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Jun 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #301 of 388

LB - question for you.

I owned an SR325i, woodied it, change headband etc.  Loved it.  Really loved it.  The treble peaks didn't bother me.

Sold it to chase other headphones.  Ended up along the way with an RS1.  Enjoyed it, but found it too smooth - didn't have the in-your-face, on-the-stage energy that I loved about the 325i.  Would the RS2 take me closer to that?  Is it brighter / more aggressive than the RS1?

Sorry for the late reply. I've been moving house and haven't been on here for a couple of weeks. 

I would say that the RS2's are a little more edgy. Or seem to be.. It may be because the RS1's have more bass emphasis and this warms up the mids too. But because I haven't owned them both at the same time I can only use memory (and this is not reliable!) with the RS1. Looking at the FR charts they are very similar from the mids up, and with this in mind I wouldn't expect a huge difference. What most folks say in comparison, is that the RS1's have a larger soundstage and more bass impact. But I do remember the RS1's being smooth (for Grado) and my RS2's certainly have plenty of bite.    

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #302 of 388
Thanks LB. I might have to see if I can demo a pair next time I travel.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #303 of 388
I really love my Beyerdynamic DT 990's. I bought them 7 years ago and they're still going strong
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #307 of 388
Dt880 32 ohms with my GO450. Sounds so good. I have the HD800 which probably does sounds better, but it makes me want to just pick at the music I'm listening to. With the Dt880, I can listen to the music and just relax and enjoy. It works with all my music, movies, or whatever. This is one headphones I will not let go for sure.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #310 of 388
HD700 out of my vintage Yamaha. They don't do a lot of good or really stand out but I just like them. Super comfortable and easy to listen to at lower volumes when you just want to relax.

Thanks,

:evil:

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #312 of 388
Koss KTXPRO1: a semi-open on-ear with titanium-coated drivers that cost under $15. Unbelievable performance for the price, especially when you reduce frequencies under 600 Hz with EQ. (Though it often sounds more fun without EQ.) There are plenty of "better" headphones out there, but none that excite me like this one. I loved it so much that I bought two more Koss headphones: KSC75 & UR40. Who knows...perhaps one of those will take its place as my "best not-the-best" headphone.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #313 of 388

Philips SHS4700. $9.99 locally. Obscene in the quality of sound these can achieve. Excellent right out of the box, they get better with a headband, and better still with a small pad say 1.4 inch thick and semi porous. These knocked the Porta Sporta KSC75's out of my cheap and portable rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back