Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Sep 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #211 of 388
Quote:
My headphone journey since my first "decent purchase" (in my own opinion).

Buy Senn CX870 since I saw that the original price was over 100 and that it was currently 35 dollars.
Lose all eartips
Proceed to buy GR02's from VSonic.
Loved the heck out of the GR02's
Buy HD600. Hate leaving house and leaving my beautiful HD600.
Tried the CX870 with GR02's eartips.
It must have fitted poorly back then, because these CX870s lost the grainy sound I originally hated from them. I LOVE the cx870 IEM's sound. It made me hate leaving home a lot less.
Then the cx870 shorted three days after I rediscovered it (time to learn to solder. Anyone have a suggestion for a soldering iron?).

I guess I have to say the CX870.

The Weller WLC-100 is a cheap one at $40. I own one at the moment, I like it a lot, but the tempature control isn't all that great, so I'll be upgrading soon to a $150 one.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #212 of 388
Quote:
The Weller WLC-100 is a cheap one at $40. I own one at the moment, I like it a lot, but the tempature control isn't all that great, so I'll be upgrading soon to a $150 one.

Thanks. Would this suffice for doing some PCB work by the way? I kind of want to try making a starving student hybrid amp since I don't want to leave the solder around for no reason (Yes, I want to not waste money by spending more money. I'm an idiot).

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #213 of 388
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. Would this suffice for doing some PCB work by the way? I kind of want to try making a starving student hybrid amp since I don't want to leave the solder around for no reason (Yes, I want to not waste money by spending more money. I'm an idiot).

I'm sure it would work, I haven't used mine to make an amp yet though.

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #215 of 388
V-Moda M-80 / V-80

I just love the way they sound with everything.

It seems like I'm the only one here who thinks this, but they sounded horribly muddy and dark to me. There were maybe one or two songs they sounded great with, and those couple ones sounded better than any other headphones I've heard them on. I think it was just a case of being "smothered by smoothness", as I'm used to brighter, bass light signatures.

Speaking of brighter sigs, my favorite "not the best" headphones are Brainwavz B2s. I've got mine modded with a BTG silver Midnight IEM cable. They just sound "right" to me, on most everything I listen to. They can be bright out of my Samsung Galaxy Player, but that issue is solved when switching to my desktop rig, or to my trusty old iPod Nano, so I think it's just a source issue. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #216 of 388
Bingle B-850-M. $21 USD / 129 CNY.

After a week of burn-in they are the best sounding of the lot of 8 Chi-Fi cans I bought a few weeks ago. Fairly comfortable. not too hot on the cups.

They sound similar to the CAL! but not as refined in the highs and with a touch of mid-fi bloat that adds a touch of body to the mids. Better detail retrieval that may be due to compression, but at this price point they have more reverb and background detail information retrieval. Sound stage is a bit more confined that the CAL!.

Not bad, considering.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #217 of 388
For portable listening with a xenos amp my senn 205s for big rig listening with my gd compass dac/amp my grado rs2 a hp that gets no respect here they are not my orthos but the have a certain snap and speed that I've only heard in stats

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #218 of 388
It seems like I'm the only one here who thinks this, but they sounded horribly muddy and dark to me. There were maybe one or two songs they sounded great with, and those couple ones sounded better than any other headphones I've heard them on.

Care to share which songs sounded the best ever on the V-Moda M-80 / V-80?

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #220 of 388
Koss UR40. They sound a little better when the foam is removed from the cup. If it were not for the below average build and short,thin cable,they would be an excellent budget headphones.

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #222 of 388
I think they are great for something quick to grab for use with my tablet.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #224 of 388
Audio Technica WS99

not cheap and there are some serious competitors for the same price range (m100) but man are these GOOD

the bass has a depth and impact I never experienced before, fast responding, precise and very fun to listen to, mids and highs aren't recessed so overall it's still a balanced headphone 

first time I listened to these I almost couldn't believe how much depth they provided, it's like if there were more "steps" in the bass compared to other units

the WS99 aren't very popular but listen to some trance or electro on these and come back sharing your experience.. I have them on my ears right now with Trentemoller playing and I can't imagine of other headphones give as much pleasure as these 

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #225 of 388
HD 598's hands down! I was so amazed by how good tbey sound considering the cost. Not to mention they sound great out of an ordinary iphone. Very easy to drive...doesnt scale well with gear though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back