You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #4,593 of 6,356
Quote:
remember to grease yourself up with some sort of audio lube, so you can give your opponents a run for their money

audio lube? what on earth is that?

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #4,594 of 6,356
Nov 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #4,595 of 6,356
Nov 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #4,598 of 6,356
Quote:
....oh.
so its basically a connector protector

It's more often used to clean off contacts that have oxidized over the years, like in switches and knobs. I don't know if that's actually what he meant, though. I just thought of DeoxIT when I read "lube." From what I understand, the gold version has lubrication in it, whereas the normal version just cleans contacts. I've used a sort of generic RadioShack substitute on my vintage gear, and if that's anything to judge by, the stuff does wonders for cleaning out scratchy pots.

It's funny, though. On the other audio forum where I used to be reasonably active (AudioKarma), DeoxIT is considered like manna. On Head-Fi nobody's ever heard of it. Must be that the hobby is so young that amps haven't aged to the point where their contacts need cleaning.

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #4,599 of 6,356
Quote:
Same, though while it most certainly is ONE of the reasons, it's not the only. HTC makes pretty junky phones. Though this conversation is for another topic, on another forum.

You know you're an audiophile when the only reason you want a haircut is so your headphones will seal better... these damned sideburns get in the way of everything.

Yeah, because the HTC One X is a terrible phone... and the HTC Hero was terrible for it's time, and was very uncomfortable in the hand... and the EVO, heck, who needs the first superphone with a processor measured in Ghz rather than Mhz?

You know you're an audiophile when you shop for a DAP (Digital Audio Player,) based on how good it sounds. (Good in this case being how closely it approached the sound of my old Sony stereo headphone output.)

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #4,600 of 6,356
Quote:

It's more often used to clean off contacts that have oxidized over the years, like in switches and knobs. I don't know if that's actually what he meant, though. I just thought of DeoxIT when I read "lube." From what I understand, the gold version has lubrication in it, whereas the normal version just cleans contacts. I've used a sort of generic RadioShack substitute on my vintage gear, and if that's anything to judge by, the stuff does wonders for cleaning out scratchy pots.

It's funny, though. On the other audio forum where I used to be reasonably active (AudioKarma), DeoxIT is considered like manna. On Head-Fi nobody's ever heard of it. Must be that the hobby is so young that amps haven't aged to the point where their contacts need cleaning.

ah i see, thanks for enlightening me
biggrin.gif

well this hobby is only about a dozen+ years old i guess? im not sure. 
but then again contacts that are regularly used don't need as much cleaning as contacts rotting in drawers right?

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #4,601 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
....oh.
so its basically a connector protector

Huh. I'll grab some for my cans. My 4AAA's plug is especially dirty.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4,603 of 6,356
I just had the best idea of my life (or least, my best idea in the last 10 minutes):

You guys are aware of V-Moda's customizable shield kits.
What if... we had these shields with the Beats by Dre logo printed on them.
We could then sell these "Beats by Dre V-Moda V80/V100 Headphones" to the unsuspecting crowds (your little brother or sister, an idiot friend...)

WTS Not-yet-released new Beats V-Moda headphone $599

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #4,604 of 6,356
I just had the best idea of my life (or least, my best idea in the last 10 minutes):

We could then sell these "Beats by Dre V-Moda V80/V100 Headphones" to the unsuspecting crowds (your little brother or sister, an idiot friend...)

I don't think that's legal o.o But it's worth a shot >=)

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #4,605 of 6,356

The sound sig on the v-moda will suddenly change... And never forgive you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back