You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #4,621 of 6,356
Quote:

My local GC doesn't have the DT880 or x70x (or at least they didn't three summers ago when I was last in there). If they did, my search would have ended sooner....

It's really variable how helpful staff will be pretty much anywhere you go. The time I was in that GC when I ended up buying the M50, everybody was really helpful, pulling headphones down from the rack and getting them out of the box for me to try. When I went back to return the M50 a different guy made it clear (without saying a word) that nobody would be pulling down any boxes for me this time. He was almost chiding me when he pointed out I'd have to pay a restocking fee (which I already knew). I get that shrink wrapped stuff can't be tested (like the old-style, gold-trimmed K240 they had which that I was sorely tempted to just walk out with sight unheard for $119), but still. Who would buy headphones without at least trying to hear them first? I don't see it as too unusual a request to make.

They didn't have an awful lot, anyway. From what I remember there were the M50, SRH440, SRH840, MDR-7506, HD280, DT770 (the exclusive version GC used to sell), the K240 I mentioned, and the M40fs (I probably should have tried those the first time). Not a terrible selection for the time (summer 2010), but nothing really exotic, either. Also, nothing open-backed, interestingly enough. I had expected they would at least have a K70x, HD600/650, and/or a DT880/990 to try.

I would be so pissed if it was me. Seriously, they would only see me ever again if they were the only choice in like 200 miles or so...
I returned my k702 in favor of the dt880, no problem trying like 4-5 different phones even though they lost money on me.

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #4,622 of 6,356
Quote:
when you go to an audio store and give more recommendations than the ppl working there (depends on store)

I went to one store and talked Grado with them, since they were the only Grado dealer in the country.

Now they give me 5-10% off on the things I buy, and are offering to order a PS1000 for me.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #4,623 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
when you go to an audio store and give more recommendations than the ppl working there (depends on store)

I went to one store and talked Grado with them, since they were the only Grado dealer in the country.

Now they give me 5-10% off on the things I buy, and are offering to order a PS1000 for me.

You lucky little...

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #4,625 of 6,356
Quote:
Lol that is so true. I was in guitar center and upsold a guy looking at the HD280 to some KRK KNS8400. Then I had my DT1350 on my neck and I was comparing some of the phones they had with their DT880 and Q701.
I ended up with not one but 3 employees around me and the lady at the counter was shopping on amazon online looking at the 990 premiums because I explained to them the difference between the pro and premium models on the beyers. Other 2 guys were auditioning my DT1350's with the amp I brought.
I asked for a commission on the upsell but no dice.
biggrin.gif

What is the difference betwen the Pro and Premium models?

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #4,627 of 6,356
What is the difference betwen the Pro and Premium models?

Mainly looks and clamping force. The 990 for example has the nice brushed aluminum vent instead of the plastic black vent on the side. Also silver colored metal holders vs black metal of the pro. The pro has more clamp down on your head than the premium.

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #4,628 of 6,356
Quote:
Mainly looks and clamping force. The 990 for example has the nice brushed aluminum vent instead of the plastic black vent on the side. Also silver colored metal holders vs black metal of the pro. The pro has more clamp down on your head than the premium.

So which is nicer?

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #4,630 of 6,356
When you can't stop thinking about this one headphone that you really want and those around you are getting annoyed because you talk about it too much.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #4,632 of 6,356
Quote:
Premium by far in looks alone. I have never a/b the side by side to give u too much of a sonic preference. I like both versions in sound. There are lots of comarrisons on headfi.

it is said that the clamp give slightly more midbass, and the pro has a coiled cable, which is good for pc and studio use, and the premium has a straight cable for laid back listening from your big hifi system

Random question, but do you know where I could get the Walnut Burl housing, mounting, and end piece for the HiFi-MANUFAKTUR series of headphones(any dt 770/880/990)?

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #4,633 of 6,356
When you can't stop thinking about this one headphone that you really want and those around you are getting annoyed because you talk about it too much.

+100

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #4,634 of 6,356
When you see a store selling a headphone that intrigues you, but doesnt offer you the ability to try them out.

you buy them, judge whether or not you like them. (if not) you Return them.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #4,635 of 6,356
Random question, but do you know where I could get the Walnut Burl housing, mounting, and end piece for the HiFi-MANUFAKTUR series of headphones(any dt 770/880/990)?

Aren't you talking about the darth beyers? (Or i think he calls them the terminator or something now?)
http://www.headphile.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back