You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #4,171 of 6,356
yq46Q.jpg
SKrel.jpg

You know you're an audiophile when... you're having this whole vinyl argument. ;P

On another note, if you're doing any tuning on an equalizer and know what you're doing.... you're an audiophile.

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #4,172 of 6,356
Quote:
My points exactly. XD
And that's why I don't buy into the whole "tube amps sound better" jargon.

I wouldn't go that far.

Tubes definitely sound different. There IS some THD but not too bad, so as far as which is better depends on your preferences and of course on the headphone as well. Piezos and orthos for example pair very well with amps with a high output impedance, which (pure) tube amps will deliver. I tried my SE-700s out of my grandma's old tube receiver (which she has yet to let me have :<) and they sounded absolutely AMAZING. It was completely unlike anything i've ever heard.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #4,174 of 6,356
Considering their are now customs like Cosmic Ears making cheap CIEM's, that's in the realm of a fairly nice gift. What did you get the girl?
Quote:
You buy your girlfriend some customs, just because you can't stand it seeing her with some 50 bucks universals.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #4,175 of 6,356
when you're more afraid of losing your hearing than going blind or becoming paralyzed...

I don't know what I'd do without my ears.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #4,176 of 6,356
Quote:
when you're more afraid of losing your hearing than going blind or becoming paralyzed...

I don't know what I'd do without my ears.

I wrote something related to this on another thread. Yeah I'm pretty scared about losing my hearing too:
Quote:
On a random note, I was watching Head-Fi TV's new episode and I was really interested in the new Lantos Technologies intra-aural scanning system. One of the suggested videos on the YouTube page was about how your hearing system works, and that video had another video suggestion:

I don't know how many times the nail needs to be hammered, but I think this video really nailed it for me in realizing how valuable hearing is. As much as I love listening to music, maybe I should stop listening to music hours on end at moderate volume levels.

I don't know about you, but hearing loss sounds pretty scary and I'm already starting to "lose" some of the higher frequencies (17+ kHz)...I'm only 21 years old! D:
I should really go see an audiologist at a local Costco store.

Being an audiophile, and more importantly, a bioengineer, I'm hoping I can study and learn about hearing loss in detail and hopefully, maybe, some day create an impact on peoples' quality of life. Stem cell tissue engineering is still a new field of study, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it can play a role in restoring peoples' ability to hear again.

Sorry for the random note, I just wanted to write down my thoughts.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #4,177 of 6,356
*takes headphones off head*
*palm rests on earpad*
*drivers massaging hand*

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #4,179 of 6,356
Quote:
You buy your girlfriend some customs, just because you can't stand it seeing her with some 50 bucks universals.

OMG that's so true... I just can't stand the thougt of my GF using crappy headphones / earphones. And I must say she's got really good hearing, so I know she appreciates it :)

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #4,181 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you're auditioning headphones and making the weirdest expressions because they're sibilant.

or becasue they have nothing but muddy bass

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #4,183 of 6,356

OMG that's so true... I just can't stand the thougt of my GF using crappy headphones / earphones. And I must say she's got really good hearing, so I know she appreciates it :)

I shudder everytime I think about my GF using iBuds >,<
It gets worse when she complains about not being able to hear me over skype because of her earbuds.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #4,184 of 6,356
She loves the bass and clarity of my old Triple.Fi10, so i thought i'd buy her some new ones and let them reshell from UM because she needs the awesome fit of customs for sports :)
So much better than seeing her with cheap earbuds rly
Quote:
Considering their are now customs like Cosmic Ears making cheap CIEM's, that's in the realm of a fairly nice gift. What did you get the girl?

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #4,185 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile when you dumpster dive for a repairable rig and attempt to fix it and make it work for you and you're out of money because of your expensive wife/girlfriend shopping for some *COUGH barfs by COUGH COUGH you know COUGH the rest COUGH COUGH* because they look good for her and you decide throw her "barfs by you know the rest" in the trash where they belong. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back