You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #4,157 of 6,356
Quote:
When you notice that vinyl sounds better than CD's and CD's sound better than MP3 128's and 24 bit sounds better than 16 bit. 

Or when you get into a debate about all of the above.
Vinyl can sound better than CD's, CD's can sound better than 128kbps MP3's, and 24-bit can sound better than 16-bit.

Vinyl's sound is susceptible to wear and tear whereas CD's can still sound good even after a few scratches; some 128kbps tracks from well-mastered CD's can sound better than not well-mastered CD's; and 24-bit theoretically "sounds better" than 16-bit but I can't tell the difference, so the extra cost of "HD" tracks are completely unjustifiable to me.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #4,159 of 6,356
Quote:
When you wear SR-80s and MDR-V6s as necklaces.

When you wear headphones as necklaces only because your DAP died on you :frowning2:

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4,160 of 6,356
Quote:
When you notice that vinyl sounds better than CD's and CD's sound better than MP3 128's and 24 bit sounds better than 16 bit. 

This, just... no.

Vinyl is an extremely flawed medium and has a LOT of THD, no matter how flawless your records are and how good your turntable is, you're going to have lots of THD. That's what makes it sound so "warm and intimate".

CDs store audio in a lossless format. You can't beat lossless. Period.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #4,161 of 6,356
when you buy a CD just so you can rip ONE song to FLAC, and when you buy another CD that the artist released digitally (192kbps mp3) for free. so you get to support the artist and get the same songs you already have in lossless.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #4,162 of 6,356
Quote:
This, just... no.

Vinyl is an extremely flawed medium and has a LOT of THD, no matter how flawless your records are and how good your turntable is, you're going to have lots of THD. That's what makes it sound so "warm and intimate".

Maybe you meant SACD or DVD-A which I wouldn't disagree with.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #4,163 of 6,356
When you're trying to get back with your ex girlfriend so you agree to video chat and hang up on her because she starts playing music from her computer while you talk.......Tonight did not go well for me.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #4,165 of 6,356
She had the best of intensions. She wanted to do a little dance for me. She's a dancer........if it was me she could have at least used a mini to mini from her headphone jack to her mic jack so i got good quality even though it's streaming. Maybe a splitter to her speakers so she hears it too
Quote:
This has nothing to do with being an audiophile just her being extremely rude. Just Sayin'

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #4,166 of 6,356
Quote:
She had the best of intensions. She wanted to do a little dance for me. She's a dancer........if it was me she could have at least used a mini to mini from her headphone jack to her mic jack so i got good quality even though it's streaming. Maybe a splitter to her speakers so she hears it too

I take it back then but you could said this before.

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #4,167 of 6,356
I also mentioned that her playing music like that was causing my ears to cringe. It's okay though. Makes her want me more when I play hard to get....lol
Quote:
I take it back then but you could said this before.

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #4,168 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
This, just... no.

Maybe you meant SACD or DVD-A which I wouldn't disagree with.

No. Normal CDs.

44100 Hz is plently. Anything higher than 48000 Hz is pointless. It's just spectral padding that allows supersonic frequencies to exist. This causes problems. It sometimes produces some weird high-pitched artifacts in the recordings. It's one of those things that's better in theory but doesn't actually work. If you want to hear these artifacts open up sine gen and set it to 96-24, and slide it up to the top. You'll hear an audible frequency at a setting that's way out of the hearing range of humans and most likely out of the range of your headphones as well.

The differences between 24 and 16 bit are minimal, though I do admittedly use 24 whenever possible.

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #4,169 of 6,356

This, just... no.

Vinyl is a flawed medium. However, because it is typically bought by those interested in sound quality, masters made for vinyl will frequently exhibit less dynamic range compression/hard clipping. If two identical tracks are put onto CD and vinyl, CD wins hands down. It's just that the tracks aren't always identical.

You know you're an audiophile when you derail a thread to discuss the merits of CDs and vinyl, despite the fact that "normal people" are content with ripping their music from a YouTube video that has undergone the following process:
  • Song is ripped from CD into 128kbps MP3
  • Song is put onto lyric video with settings of 128 kbps WMA audio in Windows Movie Maker
  • Video is downloaded to YouTube at 360p, using compression to cut down the audio bitrate.
  • Song is extracted from video by a software program that renders it at 128kbps.

Compression on compression on compression (on compression) is the norm. Whether you're using FLAC or a record, you are probably an audiophile.

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #4,170 of 6,356
Quote:
Or when you get into a debate about all of the above.
Vinyl can sound better than CD's, CD's can sound better than 128kbps MP3's, and 24-bit can sound better than 16-bit.

Vinyl's sound is susceptible to wear and tear whereas CD's can still sound good even after a few scratches; some 128kbps tracks from well-mastered CD's can sound better than not well-mastered CD's; and 24-bit theoretically "sounds better" than 16-bit but I can't tell the difference, so the extra cost of "HD" tracks are completely unjustifiable to me.

Quote:
This, just... no.

Quote:
No. Normal CDs.

44100 Hz is plently. Anything higher than 48000 Hz is pointless. It's just spectral padding that allows supersonic frequencies to exist. This causes problems. It sometimes produces some weird high-pitched artifacts in the recordings. It's one of those things that's better in theory but doesn't actually work. If you want to hear these artifacts open up sine gen and set it to 96-24, and slide it up to the top. You'll hear an audible frequency at a setting that's way out of the hearing range of humans and most likely out of the range of your headphones as well.

The differences between 24 and 16 bit are minimal, though I do admittedly use 24 whenever possible.

My points exactly. XD
And that's why I don't buy into the whole "tube amps sound better" jargon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back