You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #4,036 of 6,356
I've always liked the idea of really simple wedding rings. Like, just a matching pair of gold rings without any diamonds or any of that crap on them. The whole point is that it's symbolic and that the true value of the marriage is the love each person has for each other, which is priceless. Why does it have to be symbolized with an expensive and largely useless piece of jewelry? Why should anything material compete with the value of the union itself?

In other news, I'm single. Can't imagine why...:D

For the most part this makes perfect sense.
I think part of the reason people get an expensive ring is because that seems to be the norm now.
Another part I find is that it might show commitment to the relationship for some people.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #4,037 of 6,356
Quote:
For the most part this makes perfect sense.
I think part of the reason people get an expensive ring is because that seems to be the norm now.
Another part I find is that it might show commitment to the relationship for some people.

I think this is probably true. Suppose everybody else gets the expensive engagement ring and you're the odd one out. How does that make you feel? Also, I guess there's a lot of stuff that can get said without using any words at all, so if all you've got is a gold band, if you're a girl maybe your friends think your husband is cheap or not even committed enough to buy you a rock.

Incidentally, I've always wanted a ring with a cat's eye Alexandrite. I haven't looked at prices in a while, but when last I looked you probably could have gotten any one of the vast majority of the top headphones in the world for cheaper than a fine specimen of this stuff, especially if you're looking for one that's chatoyant.

You know you're an audiophile when you think of the price of expensive things in terms of which headphones you could get with the money.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #4,038 of 6,356
Quote:
I've always liked the idea of really simple wedding rings. Like, just a matching pair of gold rings without any diamonds or any of that crap on them. The whole point is that it's symbolic and that the true value of the marriage is the love each person has for each other, which is priceless. Why does it have to be symbolized with an expensive and largely useless piece of jewelry? Why should anything material compete with the value of the union itself?

In other news, I'm single. Can't imagine why...
biggrin.gif

Which is why you use an expensive but not equally useless headphones!

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #4,039 of 6,356
...when you give someone special an hd650, and then you get furious when you found out she's not using it because she bought a beats studio, and her hd650 is just lying around somewhere gathering dust. Grrrrr! 

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #4,040 of 6,356
Quote:
...when you give someone special an hd650, and then you get furious when you found out she's not using it because she bought a beats studio, and her hd650 is just lying around somewhere gathering dust. Grrrrr! 

The HD650's have no sex appeal. Given the choice between the HD650 and Studio's, I would pick the Studio's if I didn't know anything about how they sounded.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #4,042 of 6,356
HD650 does look kind of classy i feel, the beats look kind of overdone

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #4,044 of 6,356
You know when you are an audiophile when people on the train curiously watch you boot you mobile music device, amp, and headphones. And you can almost hear them thinking "That's no bomb is it?" at the sight of all the wires and blinking lights...

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #4,046 of 6,356
Quote:
You know when you are an audiophile when people on the train curiously watch you boot you mobile music device, amp, and headphones. And you can almost hear them thinking "That's no bomb is it?" at the sight of all the wires and blinking lights...

Heck that's what my girlfriend said to me.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #4,047 of 6,356
You know you're audiophile when the whole time you're listening to music at someones place you're oggling for their audio equipment in disgust or admiration. If latter then you usually have a starter for a conversation...

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #4,048 of 6,356
when someone stops you to ask you about your headphones (SE-700) and you think they might be an audiophile...

...then the only thing they ask about is the bass and you just stare at them and leave.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #4,049 of 6,356
Quote:
when someone stops you to ask you about your headphones (SE-700) and you think they might be an audiophile...

...then the only thing they ask about is the bass and you just stare at them and leave.

Yeah, bass is what most people are concerned about since it's usually novel for them. Sadly, even for people with those XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXtra SuperUltra MegaBass eXXXXXXtreme mini systems or Beats or lower end Skullcandy headphones real bass is novel. They get the hyped upper- and midbass, all right, but real subbass extension is quite rare. Neither of my headphones has stellar extension, but they both have more than most consumer class equipment.

You know you're an audiophile when you know the difference between subbass, midbass, and upper bass.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #4,050 of 6,356
Quote:

Yeah, bass is what most people are concerned about since it's usually novel for them. Sadly, even for people with those XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXtra SuperUltra MegaBass eXXXXXXtreme mini systems or Beats or lower end Skullcandy headphones real bass is novel. They get the hyped upper- and midbass, all right, but real subbass extension is quite rare. Neither of my headphones has stellar extension, but they both have more than most consumer class equipment.

You know you're an audiophile when you know the difference between subbass, midbass, and upper bass.

you know you're an audiophile when you finally realize having a lot of bass is over rated. you know you're an audiophile when you realize that quality bass sounds better than quantity bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back