You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #4,006 of 6,356
Quote:

Sure. It's somebody who likes the Grado RS1 beating a dead horse about the Sennheiser veil.

I've experienced that veil on some of the lower-end Senns, (especially in contrast to my SR60i's) but it wasn't anything that I couldn't EQ away. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #4,007 of 6,356
Yep. There were a bunch of circular arguments between Grado fans and Sennheiser fans since the sonic signatures are astral opposites. Grado fans said that the Sennheiser sound is veiled, and Sennheiser fans said that the Grado sound is too bright and sparkly to be realistic. Of course a lot of people owned and appreciated both, but of course they didn't really have a place in the argument.

So they made this over the top smiley to describe the whole thing. The first time I saw it I had absolutely no idea what it was. Somebody else explained it in passing and then it all made sense.

I was truly inducted into the Head-Fi cult on that day....

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #4,008 of 6,356
Quote:
I've experienced that veil on some of the lower-end Senns, (especially in contrast to my SR60i's) but it wasn't anything that I couldn't EQ away. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to confess that I've never actually tried any Sennheiser headphone. It's kind of hard to believe that I've been involved in this hobby for as long as I have and have still never heard a Senn. I know them all by reputation, and I'm sure it's the kind of thing I could get to enjoy, but we've just never crossed paths. I was looking at either the HD238 or the PX100ii a few years ago as a portable, but I ended up going with the SRH440 instead because I'd already heard it and wasn't too concerned with using a full-sized can as a portable.

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #4,009 of 6,356
Quote:

I have to confess that I've never actually tried any Sennheiser headphone. It's kind of hard to believe that I've been involved in this hobby for as long as I have and have still never heard a Senn. I know them all by reputation, and I'm sure it's the kind of thing I could get to enjoy, but we've just never crossed paths. I was looking at either the HD238 or the PX100ii a few years ago as a portable, but I ended up going with the SRH440 instead because I'd already heard it and wasn't too concerned with using a full-sized can as a portable.

Well, in all fairness, I like to EQ in some bass to the SR60i's, so I guess my ideal sound is somewhere between those two extremes....lol

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #4,010 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile (and a Head-Fi'er) when you know what all the parts of this mean:

deadhorse.gif

I feel bad for the horse...

You know you're an audiophile when your life's joy is purchasing a new set of headphones.

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #4,011 of 6,356
My ideal sound is between all extremes. Given the choice between neutrality and just about any other aspect of the sonic presentation I'll take neutrality every time. Probably because I have eclectic taste, so straying too far in one sonic direction starts messing up the reproduction of one genre or another. Too much bass (especially uncontrolled) messes up classical; too much treble makes a lot of mainstream stuff painful to listen to, and weird midrange coloration is just bad all around.

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #4,012 of 6,356
When a custom IEM manufacturer of some note tries to charge you £500 to fix a cracked shell the robbin' bar-stewards!! They will never see another penny of my hard earned cash!

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #4,013 of 6,356
Quote:
My ideal sound is between all extremes. Given the choice between neutrality and just about any other aspect of the sonic presentation I'll take neutrality every time. Probably because I have eclectic taste, so straying too far in one sonic direction starts messing up the reproduction of one genre or another. Too much bass (especially uncontrolled) messes up classical; too much treble makes a lot of mainstream stuff painful to listen to, and weird midrange coloration is just bad all around.

+1

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #4,014 of 6,356
I would like to get an MS1 even though i already have a HD558 
biggrin.gif

i do think they compliment each other nicely
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #4,015 of 6,356
Quote:

Sure. It's somebody who likes the Grado RS1 beating a dead horse about the Sennheiser veil.

Can't we all just get along?!
Just kidding... But really though, a few companies should form a trio of some sort. Uniting for the greater good. The sound, not the profit. I've seen it happen with mediocre-sized businesses, but unfortunately never Audio Technica or anything like that. Needless to say, 98% of businesses are in it for the money. That said, I doubt Apple will think different for a day and pair up with Sony to make an extremely nice pair of headphones. Not to say that it isn't possible, just not likely in the next 3-4 generations.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #4,016 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile when your life's joy is purchasing a new set of headphones.

Hit the nail on the head there
One of life's many joys haha

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #4,017 of 6,356
For whatever reason, I cant stand the idea of having two or three different cans for different genres. I mean having an open back headphone for home use and a closed back or iem for mobile is fine, but saying "oh I'm going to listen to this song, time to switch headphones" just doesn't seem right at all...

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #4,018 of 6,356
Quote:
For whatever reason, I cant stand the idea of having two or three different cans for different genres. I mean having an open back headphone for home use and a closed back or iem for mobile is fine, but saying "oh I'm going to listen to this song, time to switch headphones" just doesn't seem right at all...

well particularly cause different headphones sound at their best with different genres. lets say that sennheiser HD650 doesnt sound as good for rock as a RS1.
but a the HD650 would probably sound better with jazz, classical, orchestral than a RS1 and a DT990 would sound better than the HD650 on electronic etc,etc.

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #4,019 of 6,356
Quote:

+2

regarding what streetdragon said, this is pretty much the reason why i like neutral headphones. i can listen to classical on my AD900 or HF5's and it sounds good, i can listen to rock/metal and it sounds good, i can listen to anything really and it all sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back