You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #3,992 of 6,356
Quote:
i don't get the whole "mid-fi" thing.

"Mid-fi" is a term invented by those wealthy enough (or foolish enough, depending on the model) to buy super top tier headphones and who need to feel that this somehow puts them in a class above everybody else. It's a nonsense term, especially when things like the HD6x0/K70x/DT880, which were once unimpeachably hi-fi, have now been "demoted" a rung. Nobody with a straight face can tell you that any of the $1,000+ headphones are fully >$1,000 better than the best models in the so-called mid-fi range, and most people are very honest about that and admit that they're not. Not saying it's not worth it to eke out that last bit of performance or to buy something well made and stylish, but audio is always a slippery slope. The distance between "mid-fi" and hi-fi is far smaller than the distance between lo-fi and "mid-fi."

The way most people seem to use the term these days it's more to delineate price range than quality, but you'll get the occasional snobiophile (as Doc likes to put it 
smile.gif
 ) who will say that mid-fi is crap. Haven't actually seen one of those in a while, though, so maybe that attitude is waning.

EDIT: Clarity

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3,993 of 6,356
Quote:

"Mid-fi" is a term invented by those wealthy enough (or foolish enough, depending on the model) to buy super top tier headphones and who need to feel that this somehow puts them in a class above everybody else. It's a nonsense term, especially when things like the HD6x0/K70x/DT880, which were once unimpeachably hi-fi, have now been "demoted" a rung. Nobody with a straight face can tell you that any of the $1,000+ headphones are fully >$1,000 better than the best models in the so-called mid-fi range, and most people are very honest about that and admit that they're not. Not saying it's not worth it to eke out that last bit of performance or to buy something well made and stylish, but audio is always a slippery slope. The distance between "mid-fi" and hi-fi is far smaller than the distance between lo-fi and "mid-fi."

The way most people seem to use the term these days it's more to delineate price range than quality, but you'll get the occasional snobiophile (as Doc likes to put it 
smile.gif
 ) who will say that mid-fi is crap. Haven't actually seen one of those in a while, though, so maybe that attitude is waning.

EDIT: Clarity

truely said and well done.
but its probably to give a General idea of whats to offer.
to me, i consider those like the Sennheiser HD600's and Grado RS1i's to be considered hi-end.

as always, the Median in many things are hard to generalize. and people will naturally try to find a Median in a particular group of things.

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #3,994 of 6,356
Can somebody please explain to me why the JH13 Pro has noticeably more clarity and extension at both ends to me than the HD600/DT880/MS-Pro (RS1i)? I thought these were all high-end stuff, and yet all these headphones don't seem to be able to compete with the JH13. Maybe the JH13 is just super high-end or something.

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3,995 of 6,356
Quote:

when your idiot retard friend sees your HD600s with the back grills taken off and says OHH those look sick are they made by monster?. then he tries to listen to them and asks why my e9/e7 is "so big" he goes on to youtube to listen to some music (so lossy) and when he finally finds some crappy quality upload to listen to he turns the volume knob on the e9 to 1 o clock (9 o clock is the loudest I ever listen to) So glad he didn't ruin the drivers in the few seconds he had them blasting like speakers.  So after he listens to them for 30 seconds at a decent volume he says these sound really bad and shows me the horrible pair of monster headphones he wants to get.....

Originally Posted by takato14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would have beaten the crap out of him the moment he asked if they were made by monster.

...when you bash your idiot friend's skull open with your beloved HD650, and then have to buy a new pair when you're done. "Bass response sounds bloated and instrument layering is really bad on this HD650 because of all the congealed blood on the drivers."

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #3,996 of 6,356
Quote:
Can somebody please explain to me why the JH13 Pro has noticeably more clarity and extension at both ends to me than the HD600/DT880/MS-Pro (RS1i)? I thought these were all high-end stuff, and yet all these headphones don't seem to be able to compete with the JH13. Maybe the JH13 is just super high-end or something.

It was my understanding that the JH13 would be considered higher-tier than the other three you mention. That said, I have no experience with any of them, so what do I know? 
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #3,998 of 6,356
Quote:
When you're watching a YouTube video about hearing loss and you can't help but notice the huge wall of headphones(?) in the background.

Look at 6:00.

lmao those are not headphones.....

they're these things:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&sugexp=les%3Bcaqth&tok=nZaD92X_S6TydsWLIvkpIg&cp=18&gs_id=c&xhr=t&q=hearing+protection&safe=off&bpcl=35466521&ion=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&authuser=0&ei=KaqMUJejJKKI0AXs2YCABQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=1b34d79a980679b6&biw=1920&bih=955

Also when your parents think that you spending $200 on an amp and $350 on headphones are destroying your hearing....

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #3,999 of 6,356
Quote:

Yeah after watching the video I realized they're just different "flavours" of hearing protection units.

And yes, I'm pretty sure my parents think I'm killing my hearing too after buying a $300 headphone and $320 DAC/amp in the last month.....

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #4,000 of 6,356
Quote:
Also when your parents think that you spending $200 on an amp and $350 on headphones are destroying your hearing....

Quote:
And yes, I'm pretty sure my parents think I'm killing my hearing too after buying a $300 headphone and $320 DAC/amp in the last month.....

The Stax fanboys must really be deaf then...

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #4,002 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile (and a Head-Fi'er) when you know what all the parts of this mean:

deadhorse.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #4,003 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile (and a Head-Fi'er) when you know what all the parts of this mean:

deadhorse.gif

i have yet to know, anyone kind enough to enlighten me?
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #4,004 of 6,356
Quote:
i have yet to know, anyone kind enough to enlighten me?
tongue.gif

Sure. It's somebody who likes the Grado RS1 beating a dead horse about the Sennheiser veil.

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #4,005 of 6,356
Quote:

Sure. It's somebody who likes the Grado RS1 beating a dead horse about the Sennheiser veil.

hmm so its someone like harping on the same string over and over again until people are fed up with it i guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back