1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

You know you're an audiophile when...

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ohhgourami, Mar 14, 2011.
First

Back
257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266
268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277
Next

Last
  1. Doc-holliday
    That's a good one... i was just thinking of ways to reduce "skull microphonics" from eating my rice wasabi chips the other day.... :popcorn:

2. Argyris Contributor
    Quote:

"Mid-fi" is a term invented by those wealthy enough (or foolish enough, depending on the model) to buy super top tier headphones and who need to feel that this somehow puts them in a class above everybody else. It's a nonsense term, especially when things like the HD6x0/K70x/DT880, which were once unimpeachably hi-fi, have now been "demoted" a rung. Nobody with a straight face can tell you that any of the $1,000+ headphones are fully >$1,000 better than the best models in the so-called mid-fi range, and most people are very honest about that and admit that they're not. Not saying it's not worth it to eke out that last bit of performance or to buy something well made and stylish, but audio is always a slippery slope. The distance between "mid-fi" and hi-fi is far smaller than the distance between lo-fi and "mid-fi."

The way most people seem to use the term these days it's more to delineate price range than quality, but you'll get the occasional snobiophile (as Doc likes to put it [​IMG] ) who will say that mid-fi is crap. Haven't actually seen one of those in a while, though, so maybe that attitude is waning.

EDIT: Clarity

3. PinoyPogiman
    Quote:

truely said and well done.
    but its probably to give a General idea of whats to offer.
    to me, i consider those like the Sennheiser HD600's and Grado RS1i's to be considered hi-end.

as always, the Median in many things are hard to generalize. and people will naturally try to find a Median in a particular group of things.

4. ProjectDenz
    Can somebody please explain to me why the JH13 Pro has noticeably more clarity and extension at both ends to me than the HD600/DT880/MS-Pro (RS1i)? I thought these were all high-end stuff, and yet all these headphones don't seem to be able to compete with the JH13. Maybe the JH13 is just super high-end or something.

5. ZMZB
    Quote:

...when you bash your idiot friend's skull open with your beloved HD650, and then have to buy a new pair when you're done. "Bass response sounds bloated and instrument layering is really bad on this HD650 because of all the congealed blood on the drivers."

6. Achmedisdead
    Quote:

It was my understanding that the JH13 would be considered higher-tier than the other three you mention. That said, I have no experience with any of them, so what do I know? [​IMG]

7. miceblue
    When you're watching a YouTube video about hearing loss and you can't help but notice the huge wall of headphones(?) in the background.

Look at 6:00.

8. linglingjr
    Quote:
    lmao those are not headphones.....

they're these things:
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&sugexp=les%3Bcaqth&tok=nZaD92X_S6TydsWLIvkpIg&cp=18&gs_id=c&xhr=t&q=hearing+protection&safe=off&bpcl=35466521&ion=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&authuser=0&ei=KaqMUJejJKKI0AXs2YCABQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=1b34d79a980679b6&biw=1920&bih=955

Also when your parents think that you spending $200 on an amp and $350 on headphones are destroying your hearing....

9. miceblue
    Quote:
    Yeah after watching the video I realized they're just different "flavours" of hearing protection units.

And yes, I'm pretty sure my parents think I'm killing my hearing too after buying a $300 headphone and $320 DAC/amp in the last month.....

10. ZMZB
    Quote:
    Quote:
    The Stax fanboys must really be deaf then...

11. Balgheet
    You know you're an audiophile when

Your music teacher asks to borrow your gear.

12. Argyris Contributor
    You know you're an audiophile (and a Head-Fi'er) when you know what all the parts of this mean:

[​IMG]

13. streetdragon
    Quote:
    i have yet to know, anyone kind enough to enlighten me?[​IMG]

14. Argyris Contributor
    Quote:

Sure. It's somebody who likes the Grado RS1 beating a dead horse about the Sennheiser veil.

15. streetdragon
    Quote:
    hmm so its someone like harping on the same string over and over again until people are fed up with it i guess?

First

Back
257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266
268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277
Next

Last