You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #3,751 of 6,356
Quote:
I have a single 128kbps MP3 track in my collection because no better version exists anywhere on the Internet. It was from an album that only came out on vinyl and cassette and which, due to its relative lack of popularity and limited release market (only in Canada, I believe), is difficult to find for sale anywhere today.

Somebody back in the 90s made a rip from it, which is why the quality is so bad. I've continually searched for a better digital version (I'd happily pay for the album or the individual track) but as yet none exists, and since I don't have anything that plays cassettes and I don't really trust my cheap turntable to make a good vinyl conversion, there aren't a lot of options. Plus, since the album is a rarity, the prices when it does come up are usually ridiculous.

You know you're an audiophile when you'd choose not to listen to that track just because it's in 128kbps MP3. I guess that means that, at least in that regard, I'm not an audiophile. 
biggrin.gif

what album/song is it?

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #3,752 of 6,356
Quote:
You are passing by a girl and you keep trying to see what kind of IEMs she's wearing.  Once you realize they're crap (or not), then you realize she's actually a very attractive girl.

You keep staring at the guy sitting across from you cuz you heard him mention something about Audio-Technica so you bust out your own gear to bait him to see if he's also a head-fier.

Keep the ball rollin' guys
bigsmile_face.gif

LOL!

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #3,753 of 6,356
Quote:
what album/song is it?

"Run With Us" from Evergreen Nights by Lisa Lougheed. It was used (though not her versions of some of the songs) for an animated series called The Raccoons back in the 1980s in Canada. I've come across several different collections that claim to be "remastered" but they just use the same old source material.

I never saw the show. I came across the song on YouTube in the introduction sequence one guy used for some of the videos on his channel, and since I heard it over and over because of that, I thought it was pretty catchy and it grew on me.

If anybody'd like to hear it, the music video version is on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usFFKNRB2z8

You know you're an audiophile when you can tell that a "remastered" track found on the Internet is just the exact same low bitrate file run through a noise reduction plugin.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #3,754 of 6,356
I'm going to go try this right now...

As long as you're going from a flac/cd etc. to create a 320kbps mp3 (A) and a --kbps OGG (B) you shouldn't lose any quality from the conversion. But if you're using a 320kbps as (A) and your source for your OGG.... "You're gonna have a bad time"

Im pretty new to this whole different types of codecs thing so that is probably all common knowledge. :wink:

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #3,755 of 6,356
Quote:

"Run With Us" from Evergreen Nights by Lisa Lougheed. It was used (though not her versions of some of the songs) for an animated series called The Raccoons back in the 1980s in Canada. I've come across several different collections that claim to be "remastered" but they just use the same old source material.

I never saw the show. I came across the song on YouTube in the introduction sequence one guy used for some of the videos on his channel, and since I heard it over and over because of that, I thought it was pretty catchy and it grew on me.

If anybody'd like to hear it, the music video version is on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usFFKNRB2z8

You know you're an audiophile when you can tell that a "remastered" track found on the Internet is just the exact same low bitrate file run through a noise reduction plugin.

Rather tricky to find. There were a few very suspicious 320kbps versions around, which I think might be part of "remastered" album versions.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #3,756 of 6,356
When you can pick out specific sounds of a song and isolate them due to the headphone quality.

When you reject a song solely based on a background sound that you immediately pick up on using your gear, while everyone else is unable to notice it.

When you forget to breathe while walking because you not only listen to it, but you feel the music.

When you can't change the EQ on your source from default (flat) because when you do, the quality becomes distorted.

When you can't increase the volume on your source because the sound quality is degraded after a certain amount.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #3,757 of 6,356
Quote:
Ok, you win, does he properly amp the HD800's? I would suspect not as they would sound soooooo bad if they were...

Quote:
Oh mai that's a first... HD 800 off a Phone with 128 e.e that's sad >.>

well he WAS running it unamped at first, then after much urging (as if urging him to get the HD800 over a Solo wasn't enough...) he bought an amp (father's money again), i thought that was ok. only later i discovered he bought ANOTHER amp, i asked why(??) he stated that the first amp was a guitar amp. the latter was a beyer A1 amp. both were very expensive amps. it was only later when i met him i personally checked his phone (by that time he has dropped them several times, sent it to repair for a vibrating driver bracket inside the left earcup, got them back, and appears to have dropped them again) to discover his terrible quality music. (only checked 2 songs, 1 was 128 and 1 was 192) now... thank god his dad(furious of him dropping them) is taking care of that german masterpeice, that son doesn't deserve the HD800
angry_face.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #3,758 of 6,356
Quote:
got my friend's phone, checked his songs and as i guessed, 128kbps. and he was listening to his HD800 with them... *collapses* bloody rich kid

That's just wrong. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #3,759 of 6,356
You know you're not an audiophile when you give a pair of HD800s away.

Yes I had a pair, yes I gave them away. But I gave them to a recording group I work with so its not a complete loss :D

You know you're an audiophile when you fall asleep listening to loud metal on your old dre beats but stay awake all night listening to Vivaldi's four seasons on your dad's LCD-3s.

EDIT: thought of a new one:

You know you're an audiophile when your idea of a horror movie is ear-canal eating demonic headphones.

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #3,762 of 6,356
Quote:
I have a single 128kbps MP3 track in my collection because no better version exists anywhere on the Internet. It was from an album that only came out on vinyl and cassette and which, due to its relative lack of popularity and limited release market (only in Canada, I believe), is difficult to find for sale anywhere today.

Somebody back in the 90s made a rip from it, which is why the quality is so bad. I've continually searched for a better digital version (I'd happily pay for the album or the individual track) but as yet none exists, and since I don't have anything that plays cassettes and I don't really trust my cheap turntable to make a good vinyl conversion, there aren't a lot of options. Plus, since the album is a rarity, the prices when it does come up are usually ridiculous.

You know you're an audiophile when you'd choose not to listen to that track just because it's in 128kbps MP3. I guess that means that, at least in that regard, I'm not an audiophile. 
biggrin.gif

Hahaha I had one like that a couple of years ago...I used the muddier less sensitive headphones I could find (not even the apple earbuds) and it was "ok" just for the nostalgia. I finally found a NEW record online, bought it and asked this guy in charge of media related stuff at college to rip it. Now I have both :) (my turntable really really sucks, BTW).

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #3,763 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're not an audiophile when you give a pair of HD800s away.

Yes I had a pair, yes I gave them away. But I gave them to a recording group I work with so its not a complete loss
biggrin.gif

You know you're an audiophile when you fall asleep listening to loud metal on your old dre beats but stay awake all night listening to Vivaldi's four seasons on your dad's LCD-3s.

EDIT: thought of a new one:

You know you're an audiophile when your idea of a horror movie is ear-canal eating demonic headphones.

Can I be your recording group? Lol.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #3,764 of 6,356
Quote:
when disrupting a lissening session is a criminal offense.

Oh my God YES

If my parents pull my headphones off my head one more time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back