You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #3,781 of 6,356
Quote:
Not trying to start a war, but I know plenty of audiophiles who swear by it and plenty of audiophiles that don' t. The graph/chart driven people tend to like it, and the more subjective sound driven people don't. Can't we all be audiophiles?

I'd say this is a pretty accurate breakdown. People who look at sound as a magic black box tend to think that EQ is like if you pulled a snake out of a hat instead of a rabbit. People who think that sound is just one more part of the physical world that can be quantified are less resistant to the idea, though I've seen my share of the "charts and graphs" crowd getting hung up on miniscule artifacts that show up in the readouts.

There's a lot of argument about how EQ should be used, and of course the whole philosophical argument about the cleanest signal path being the best. There's also a "scientific" way of using EQ and a more subjective way. I fall in the former camp in my use. I've evangelized for precision EQ outside the dedicated thread in my signature a few times, but for the most part it doesn't bother me what people think or do with their own equipment. As long as we're all enjoying the music.

You know you're an audiophile when you start critically evaluating the sound quality of the music that plays in your own head. "Bass is a little light, but presentation is where it really suffers. It's entirely within the head without a semblance of a sound stage...."

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #3,782 of 6,356
Oct 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #3,784 of 6,356
i preach the tuning (subjective tuning) of an eq to unleash the maximum potential of your headphones for the best listening experience.
that's my take on the subject
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #3,787 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you photoshop a pair of LCD3s on Bender, then set it as your avatar.

Love it.

When you love a photoshopped pair of LCD3s on Bender set as an avatar of someone you barely know.

No offense.

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #3,791 of 6,356
Oct 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #3,793 of 6,356
When your house is on fire and you can't decide who to save first... Your wife or your LCD2's...
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #3,794 of 6,356
^That, that is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back