1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

You know you're an audiophile when...

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ohhgourami, Mar 14, 2011.
First

Back
240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249
251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260
Next

Last
  1. miceblue
    Quote:

Exactly. I hate Adele's voice (to me she sounds like she's going through puberty and her notes are piercing at some times), but I absolutely love the background mids/highs.

2. Mshenay Contributor
    Quote:
    I think ur issue is not her voice but rather them Hot cans you got <3 [JK]

But yea I got a chance to talk Audiophile to a girl today... I told her DO NOT BUY BEATS 

and I auditioned some Sony MDRZX-100s [cheap $20 cans] they sounded like the old Sonys I had b4 my Xb700s pretty bland, a little dark and very closed [small sound stage] I also listened to what may have been only 192 kbs country and even with that terrible file quality, the singers voice sounded much better on the Dt 880s! More full not as dark

3. linglingjr
    Quote:
    Dude my sister has a song on her phone that is an 8kbps mp3...... you can't even tell there are drums in the song it's so bad.  And low bit rate (like 85kbps) is about equal to a 320kbps if it is OGG.

stevenswall likes this.
  4. lostmage
    Quote:
    Where would you even find an 8kbps mp3??

5. Coop
    When your boss (who claims to be an audiophile) asks you for some lossless music and his PMP can't handle the bitrate...

6. VisceriousZERO
    When you put over your headphones on your ears and discover you already put on your iems..?

7. dscythe
    when you have three light switches in your bathroom, and you look over and see that only the middle one is down, and you chuckle to yourself thinking "heh, vshaped lighting"

8. linglingjr
    Quote:

I don't know some shady free music site probably, but I kid you not.

Capture.png

9. chewy4
    I have some 90kbps music.

Got it from a bands site for free so I can't complain, and they don't seem to sell it in CD form, or sell any of their music for that matter so it's my only option for it. It's still very listenable, but there's a lot to be desired. 

But damn... 11kbps???

10. RUMAY408
    I was watching "Modern Family" tonight and Cam was wearing headphones while playing a keyboard in the middle of the night.  I paused and rewinded but just couldn't figure out what he was wearing?

11. GL1TCH3D

I highly doubt 85kbps OGG is equivalent to 320kbps mp3...

12. linglingjr
    Quote:
    I'm not sure what the source was but I know it was the same for both files. It was only a single song but I couldn't detect any differences between the two files in a blind comparison. 

13. Argyris Contributor
    I have a single 128kbps MP3 track in my collection because no better version exists anywhere on the Internet. It was from an album that only came out on vinyl and cassette and which, due to its relative lack of popularity and limited release market (only in Canada, I believe), is difficult to find for sale anywhere today.

Somebody back in the 90s made a rip from it, which is why the quality is so bad. I've continually searched for a better digital version (I'd happily pay for the album or the individual track) but as yet none exists, and since I don't have anything that plays cassettes and I don't really trust my cheap turntable to make a good vinyl conversion, there aren't a lot of options. Plus, since the album is a rarity, the prices when it does come up are usually ridiculous.

You know you're an audiophile when you'd choose not to listen to that track just because it's in 128kbps MP3. I guess that means that, at least in that regard, I'm not an audiophile. [​IMG]

14. GL1TCH3D

Depending on the song it might not be that bad... It also depends on recording quality as well. Some of my songs in lossless still sound fairly horrid.

I'm going to go try this right now...

15. Argyris Contributor
    Quote:

I've heard worse, honestly, on both accounts. The biggest giveaway of the low bitrate is that, since they probably ripped it from the cassette version, there's noticeable background hiss, which makes the compression very obvious. Thankfully it's one of those 80 synthpop kinds of songs, so there aren't any quiet moments where this becomes apparent. You can only hear it before the song starts and during the fade out.

The production is okay. It does have those typically thin, splashy-sounding cymbals you get in 80s music, though, which don't fare well with compression. Pre-ringing is noticeable throughout because of this.

On the whole, it's listenable, and since it's all there is, I can't really complain.

Also, you know you're an audiophile when you're aware of the concept of bitrate at all, and that you know that in your entire collection of music that there's only one low-bitrate track, and you've searched for years to rectify this.

First

Back
240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249
251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260
Next

Last