You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #4,667 of 6,356
When you just simply cannot stop buying headphones ._.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #4,669 of 6,356
Quote:
Obviously, but the HD800 is widely considered one of the most revealing headphones ever, so...

I also have the HD800's and for some tracks/genres going from 256 to 320 is not noticeable. Even from 320 to FLAC if you just blind listen you won't even tell a difference unless you really concentrate on your music.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #4,670 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you're at a school dance and you look at the DJ and he has Ultrasone's
biggrin.gif
. Couldn't identify the model though.

Your know your an audiophile when you look at the DJ at your school dance and recommend that he get some Ultrasones... ;3

My current audiophile issue Is I have to choose bwtween food and cans... seeing as I'm a cullinary student... I should start cooking cheap meals and stop wasting money on lunch... I WANT new cans :D screw expensive college food <.<

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #4,671 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile when you're at a concert and you look down and spot the sound crew and can roughly work out what the stuff on their computer screens is supposed to mean.

Also, you know you're an audiophile when, at said concert, you notice that what they say is true--soundstage is a completely artificial phenomenon that doesn't exist in live music. Either that or they just mixed it to all run together.

Also, you know you're an audiophile when, again at said concert (all right, it was The Who), you notice that they mixed the upper mids too high so Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend sounded like they were shouting at you every time they opened their mouths (granted, they were, but still).

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #4,672 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you're at a concert and you look down and spot the sound crew and can roughly work out what the stuff on their computer screens is supposed to mean.

Also, you know you're an audiophile when, at said concert, you notice that what they say is true--soundstage is a completely artificial phenomenon that doesn't exist in live music. Either that or they just mixed it to all run together.

Also, you know you're an audiophile when, again at said concert (all right, it was The Who), you notice that they mixed the upper mids too high so Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend sounded like they were shouting at you every time they opened their mouths (granted, they were, but still).

Nice, you know your an audiophile when the people at Best Buy start asking you questions about thier products <3 [that's been my favorite so far, although I met one guy there who used to be into Radio Broadcasting and he knew his stuff... better than me so we had good conversation ;D, although he was a Computer Technician ironically]

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #4,673 of 6,356
Quote:

+1

Here in the States I can indeed order just about anything online. But I'd never want to order anything >$100 without either hearing it first and/or a really good return policy. Return policies vary widely among different merchants, and most of them aren't as generous as someplace like HeadRoom. But if I want something HR doesn't carry (or want it for a bit cheaper, as it usually is on, say, Amazon), I'm stuck taking a gamble whether or not I'll like it. Imagine buying an HD800 this way and discovering you didn't like it! 
eek.gif
 I haven't got the time or the bux to burn. (Or the will--I was starting to feel like there was no headphone for me after both the M50 and the SR225i didn't work out. Thankfully the DT880 was a winner).

Having access to a shop with a great selection of headphones to try is a very big help for the reasons listed above.

Or you could save for a trip to Tokyo. There you will find walls of headphones with walls of amplifiers where you can try an infinite set of combinations. From a grado SR-80 to a Stax SR009, any current production headphone.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #4,674 of 6,356
Quote:
Or you could save for a trip to Tokyo. There you will find walls of headphones with walls of amplifiers where you can try an infinite set of combinations. From a grado SR-80 to a Stax SR009, any current production headphone.

I've seen pictures. I think Currawong or Jude or one of the other admin folks has shared some amazing pictures of this promised land. Where I live, apart from GC (whose selection I haven't seen in over two years), the only place nearby that has headphones available for trial is Best Buy, and of course it's only the various Beats models and the one Bose noise canceling set that they have on offer. The best thing in that BB was a Sennheiser HD428, which I almost walked out with but it was overpriced.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #4,679 of 6,356
...when you do leave your Nissan and newly-bought Honda ST1300 Pan-European in garage and just walk the 8.5 kms to your office (and back) in November, 26th, so that you can get to know your new friend on your head.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #4,680 of 6,356
Quote:
Then you play that part of the song over and over, all the while repeating "That wasn't there before... I could have sworn that wasn't there before..."

And then you get out your $3 pair of beaters and hear it there, too, and shake your head, thinking damn. Not to say your good headphones aren't worth it--they made something apparent you never heard before, even if, now that you know it's there, you can hear it on everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back