1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

You know you're an audiophile when...

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ohhgourami, Mar 14, 2011.
First

Back
304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313
315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324
Next

Last
  1. ZMZB
    Quote:
    *sneaks into this man's luggage*

2. kookoo
    We should start a charity to sponsor an audiophile to this heavenly place and let him/her experience nirvana. All we would need is a name and a catchy tagline...

3. VisceriousZERO

Its a shop called Yodobashi Camera. Located in tech heaven, Akihabara, in Tokyo. There's a hotel beside Yodobashi as well, so you're literally a few steps from heaven.

There are 8 floors of awesome, and the headphones are on the 4th floor.

4. DairyProduce
    Anyone know of any equivalent shops in the states...?[​IMG]

5. streetdragon
    Quote:
    shop level: asian

6. Argyris Contributor
    I just noticed something amusing about those pictures. It looks like they're using rather generic-looking RCA cables. You can see it in the background of the one with the Stax SR-009. Guess they don't believe in cables.

7. ImperialX
    Quote:

Why not order off Amazon and return them if you don't like it?

8. Doc-holliday

Don't think anyone suggested NOT doing that. It's just the concept of being able to go to one place and listen yourself to all of the headphones you have been reading about for weeks and choose one or two HP's based on what you like and not someone else's review is a nice concept indeed.

If there were such a place in the states, I would certainly consider traveling there just to see it.

9. Argyris Contributor
    Quote:

+1

Sometimes I go "review blind" reading all the various impressions people have, and when their descriptions contradict one another it drives me batty! Being able to hear a bunch of headphones, even ones I'm not interested in (e.g. bass monsters and highly-colored sets), would be excellent because it would give me a lot of frames of reference when reading reviews.

For instance, if somebody says that a particular headphone has slightly less midbass than, say, an HD650, I can only vaguely imagine what that sounds like because I've never heard an HD650. I'm not interested in ever buying one, so I won't be ordering one just to find out. But I'd like to know what it sounds like for reference because it's frequently used as a comparison. Similarly, if somebody says that an IEM's bass is somewhere between the IE8 and the RE0, again, no clue. All I have are my preferences (somewhat toward analytical) to go by, so I can only guess that I'd like something closer to the RE0 than the IE8.

Getting to hear a bunch of headphones at once would let me ask people more fine-grained questions (e.g. the DT880 has a little too little bass weight, and the M50 had too much, and the SRH440 is about right but doesn't have enough extension--where does the bass on headphone "X" fall?), and if they haven't heard any of the headphones I ask about first, I can substitute other ones until we find something we've both heard.

10. fjeena

I couldnt agree more. luckily so far the 2 headphones and one set of cans and one pair of IEMs that ive bought just based on reviews, since i started reading these forums, are fantastic!!

I guess having Head-fi is the next best thing to having a store like that :)

11. takato14
    Quote:
    This requires you actually have enough money to purchase the merchandise... I want to hear the HD800 BEFORE buying it to know if it's worth it or if I should be aiming for one of the other flagships.

12. stevenswall
    Quote:

Here is the Headphone.com store in Bozeman Montana... and I hear Todd the Vinyl Junky has a setup in a nearby town too!

2020 Gilkerson Drive, Bozeman, Montana​

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. warrenpchi Administrator
    Quote:

Actually, a Head-Fi meet is a lot like that place.  [​IMG]

14. thecansmancan
    Quote:
    ...looks like its gonna be the three headphone-ears [​IMG][​IMG]

15. fjeena

Hope I can make it to the next meet here in England!!

First

Back
304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313
315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324
Next

Last