You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #4,698 of 6,356
Where about's in this shop located in Japan?

Its a shop called Yodobashi Camera. Located in tech heaven, Akihabara, in Tokyo. There's a hotel beside Yodobashi as well, so you're literally a few steps from heaven.

There are 8 floors of awesome, and the headphones are on the 4th floor.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #4,699 of 6,356
Anyone know of any equivalent shops in the states...?
redface.gif

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #4,701 of 6,356
I just noticed something amusing about those pictures. It looks like they're using rather generic-looking RCA cables. You can see it in the background of the one with the Stax SR-009. Guess they don't believe in cables.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #4,703 of 6,356
Why not order off Amazon and return them if you don't like it?

Don't think anyone suggested NOT doing that. It's just the concept of being able to go to one place and listen yourself to all of the headphones you have been reading about for weeks and choose one or two HP's based on what you like and not someone else's review is a nice concept indeed.

If there were such a place in the states, I would certainly consider traveling there just to see it.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #4,704 of 6,356
Quote:
Don't think anyone suggested NOT doing that. It's just the concept of being able to go to one place and listen yourself to all of the headphones you have been reading about for weeks and choose one or two PH's based on what you like nad not someone else's review is a nice concept indeed.
If there were such a place in the states, I would certainly consider traveling there just to see it.

+1

Sometimes I go "review blind" reading all the various impressions people have, and when their descriptions contradict one another it drives me batty! Being able to hear a bunch of headphones, even ones I'm not interested in (e.g. bass monsters and highly-colored sets), would be excellent because it would give me a lot of frames of reference when reading reviews.

For instance, if somebody says that a particular headphone has slightly less midbass than, say, an HD650, I can only vaguely imagine what that sounds like because I've never heard an HD650. I'm not interested in ever buying one, so I won't be ordering one just to find out. But I'd like to know what it sounds like for reference because it's frequently used as a comparison. Similarly, if somebody says that an IEM's bass is somewhere between the IE8 and the RE0, again, no clue. All I have are my preferences (somewhat toward analytical) to go by, so I can only guess that I'd like something closer to the RE0 than the IE8.

Getting to hear a bunch of headphones at once would let me ask people more fine-grained questions (e.g. the DT880 has a little too little bass weight, and the M50 had too much, and the SRH440 is about right but doesn't have enough extension--where does the bass on headphone "X" fall?), and if they haven't heard any of the headphones I ask about first, I can substitute other ones until we find something we've both heard.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #4,705 of 6,356
+1

Sometimes I go "review blind" reading all the various impressions people have, and when their descriptions contradict one another it drives me batty! Being able to hear a bunch of headphones, even ones I'm not interested in (e.g. bass monsters and highly-colored sets), would be excellent because it would give me a lot of frames of reference when reading reviews.

For instance, if somebody says that a particular headphone has slightly less midbass than, say, an HD650, I can only vaguely imagine what that sounds like because I've never heard an HD650. I'm not interested in ever buying one, so I won't be ordering one just to find out. But I'd like to know what it sounds like for reference because it's frequently used as a comparison. Similarly, if somebody says that an IEM's bass is somewhere between the IE8 and the RE0, again, no clue. All I have are my preferences (somewhat toward analytical) to go by, so I can only guess that I'd like something closer to the RE0 than the IE8.

Getting to hear a bunch of headphones at once would let me ask people more fine-grained questions (e.g. the DT880 has a little too little bass weight, and the M50 had too much, and the SRH440 is about right but doesn't have enough extension--where does the bass on headphone "X" fall?), and if they haven't heard any of the headphones I ask about first, I can substitute other ones until we find something we've both heard.

I couldnt agree more. luckily so far the 2 headphones and one set of cans and one pair of IEMs that ive bought just based on reviews, since i started reading these forums, are fantastic!!

I guess having Head-fi is the next best thing to having a store like that :)

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #4,706 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
redface.gif

Why not order off Amazon and return them if you don't like it?

This requires you actually have enough money to purchase the merchandise... I want to hear the HD800 BEFORE buying it to know if it's worth it or if I should be aiming for one of the other flagships.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4,707 of 6,356
Quote:
redface.gif

Here is the Headphone.com store in Bozeman Montana... and I hear Todd the Vinyl Junky has a setup in a nearby town too!

2020 Gilkerson Drive, Bozeman, Montana​

store_0017.jpg
store_0011.jpg

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #4,708 of 6,356
Quote:
I guess having Head-fi is the next best thing to having a store like that
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, a Head-Fi meet is a lot like that place. 
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back