You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #3,527 of 6,356
...when you do everything you can to an old vintage headphone to make it sound better...

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3,528 of 6,356
When you cancel weekend plans because someone offers to give you and another Head-Fier a listen to his Final Audio Piano Forte IX...

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #3,529 of 6,356
Quote:

it was for my speaker system it was not just one (sorry) it was 4 matched pairs of western electric 300b's 2 mono blocks push pull

You know you're an audiophile when you are jealous. =X

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #3,530 of 6,356
When you can appreciate a headphone's qualities despite what it lacks. 

Headphone in this case is the Pioneer SE-700. I am a moderate basshead. They are bassless but they do everything else so well that I can't stop listening to them. Their frequency response is amazingly flat, they image very well and have a great soundstage, they have absolutely amazing attack and decay (PRaT), and the detail retrieval trumps all of my other headphones combined.

If these had bass.. I'd never take them off my head.

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #3,531 of 6,356
When you can appreciate a headphone's qualities despite what it lacks. 

Headphone in this case is the Pioneer SE-700. I am a moderate basshead. They are bassless but they do everything else so well that I can't stop listening to them. Their frequency response is amazingly flat, they image very well and have a great soundstage, they have absolutely amazing attack and decay (PRaT), and the detail retrieval trumps all of my other headphones combined.

If these had bass.. I'd never take them off my head.

Yup, I totally agree.
My Shure SRH940's have virtually no bass, but man those mids and upper mids are addicting.

...when you're listening to a song with forgiving headphones (Sennheiser CX-300) and you really like how the song sounds...then you go home on your more "proper" equipment and listen to the song only to find out that it's a really cruddy song because there is an annoying high-pitched sound in the background. Analyzing the song with software confirms what my ears were hearing.
Why oh why is there a peak at 15 kHz??? 15 kilohertz! :frowning2:

BTW the song is this one:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfRxAApzjwA[/VIDEO]

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3,533 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you want to punch people in the face because they say spending so much money on good headphones is stupid.

This, so much....

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #3,535 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you want to punch people in the face because they say spending so much money on good headphones is stupid.

What about those who spend so much on bad headphones?

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #3,536 of 6,356
Quote:
+1, especially since the usual response I'll get is "It's a waste of money", "I can hear just as fine with my $1 earbuds".   Yea, keep telling yourself that.

These responses drive me crazy. When I told my parents that I was going to buy a pair of $300 headphones they totally freaked out on me. "You already have headphones and those are a waste of money" is the gist of what they were saying. 

Headphone in question was a Beyerdynamic DT1350.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #3,537 of 6,356
Quote:
These responses drive me crazy. When I told my parents that I was going to buy a pair of $300 headphones they totally freaked out on me. "You already have headphones and those are a waste of money" is the gist of what they were saying. 

I know someone that thought my DJ-1 sound the exact same as her iPod earbuds.  I felt so insulted.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #3,538 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:

I know someone that thought my DJ-1 sound the exact same as her iPod earbuds.  I felt so insulted.

OMG, that too. Once, someone said my headphones don't "kick" as hard as Beats. I ripped them off their head and almost smacked them with them. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back