Yanyin Discussion thread
Apr 24, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #993 of 2,418
As a fellow timbrehead, curious to know your impression wrt that aspect of the Canon's sound.
Just as an "in the meantime" answer as we've talked about timbre together before, in my opinion timbre is a decent improvement from the Aladdin (where strings, plucked but especially bowed, were too soft/slow attack compared to real life), but still not quite up to DD standard (the multiple DD Serial is so coherent that it's more or less my timbre benchmark at the moment).

It was a while ago now, but I know you thought the timbre of the Globes was excellent for BA implementation (I know they're Sonion not Knowles, but I don't think that will be relevant in the overall comparison, just what results either achieves). The Canons are at least as good as the Globes for timbre, I would say better.

My first impression of the timbre was that they were a good two steps behind the Serial, but listening to them on the 000 setting, at the right level of gain, they really are quite impressive and not as far behind.

You know from some chats roughly how I hear things so that you can add the necessary grains of salt to the right parts, and I'm equally interested in what tgx78 has to say. The two of you have more day to day/life experience with acoustic instruments.

Apr 24, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #994 of 2,418
Just as an "in the meantime" answer as we've talked about timbre together before, in my opinion timbre is a decent improvement from the Aladdin (where strings, plucked but especially bowed, were too soft/slow attack compared to real life), but still not quite up to DD standard (the multiple DD Serial is so coherent that it's more or less my timbre benchmark at the moment).

It was a while ago now, but I know you thought the timbre of the Globes was excellent for BA implementation (I know they're Sonion not Knowles, but I don't think that will be relevant in the overall comparison, just what results either achieves). The Canons are at least as good as the Globes for timbre, I would say better.

My first impression of the timbre was that they were a good two steps behind the Serial, but listening to them on the 000 setting, at the right level of gain, they really are quite impressive and not as far behind.

You know from some chats roughly how I hear things so that you can add the necessary grains of salt to the right parts, and I'm equally interested in what tgx78 has to say. The two of you have more day to day/life experience with acoustic instruments.
Thank you very much! I forgot you had the Canon now as well.

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #995 of 2,418
6C19DA66-902D-4DA7-BC35-91C1E32D6EC5.jpeg

Testing timbre..
Well.. it doesn’t approach single DD timbre, but I didn’t expect it to be. However yes definitely better than Aladdin that was a bit too smooth & glossy everywhere. Canon’s tonality is hitting very close to my ideal target response so I don’t mind it. I would say a perceived timbral contrast is not far off from Traillii. Slightly below Jewel for the hybrid setup. FW10000 and earbuds pulls ahead convincingly however.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #997 of 2,418
6C19DA66-902D-4DA7-BC35-91C1E32D6EC5.jpeg
Testing timbre..
Well.. it doesn’t approach single DD timbre, but I didn’t expect it to be. However yes definitely better than Aladdin that was a bit too smooth & glossy everywhere. Canon’s tonality is hitting very close to my ideal target response so I don’t mind it. I would say a perceived timbral contrast is not far off from Traillii. Slightly below Jewel for the hybrid setup. FW10000 and earbuds pulls ahead convincingly however.
If you are testing timbre, you gotta tip roll.
While Canons on "000" have a very good timbre on Final Type E tips, the Final Type B tips take them to a whole other level - pure perfection (for me).
Keep rolling until you reach perfection. :L3000:

Apr 25, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #998 of 2,418
There is another Aliexpress sale going on until midnight (PST) April 28th.
Here are some coupon codes to take 25$ off 250$ (excluding shipping):
OD25
GLOUDS25
zuzu25

DLZ25

They work on all the products in all the stores. You can combine multiple items into a single order.
First come, first serve...

You can get Canon for only 306$ with these codes: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002718514857.html

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #999 of 2,418
There is another Aliexpress sale going on until midnight (PST) April 28th.
Here are some coupon codes to take 25$ off 250$ (excluding shipping):
OD25
GLOUDS25
zuzu25

DLZ25

They work on all the products in all the stores. You can combine multiple items into a single order.
First come, first serve...

You can get Canon for only 306$ with these codes: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002718514857.html
Thanks for the tip. The coupons are not working for me, though.

Apr 27, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #1,002 of 2,418
Apr 27, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #1,003 of 2,418
Hello!

Can anyone compare a TRN BAX with Canon ? :)

Apr 27, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #1,005 of 2,418
Looks beautiful! When I saw you’d posted about a new YanYin I was thinking for a moment of one without DD. Imagining YanYin tuning with purely DD timbre…
You know, I actually contacted Penon in March 2022 to ask if Yanyin was planning on a new model release priced between the Canon and Rosemary, and they straight up told me no...lol, i guess they are keeping their cards close to their chest.
Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 11.16.40.png
Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 11.16.00.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back