Yanyin Discussion thread
Apr 20, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #976 of 2,418
I was concerned about his measurements, but Crin's measurements also don't agree with Syncertech's: https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,Canon_000. Now, n=3 is hardly a sample size to draw conclusions, but it's certainly strange. I agree that Syncertech's graphs represent the ideal outcome of the switches - each bass, mid, treble switches raises a few dB only at a specific FR range, but Crin and HBB's plots don't show this. I trust that both reviewers know what they are doing, so it's a bit troubling..

In terms of his reviews, it's just an impressions as he will post a full review later. Personally I like this approach as it means I can get an impression of a set pretty quickly, and can decide if I want to spend 30-45 min watching the full review once it's out. I guess YMMV.

He really likes it, so that's good news for me as it seems like I made the right choice in buying the Canon over the Tea MKII!
Crinacle's measurements are a lot closer to SyncerTech's, than they are to the unmentionable's.
Take a look at the clear bass boost in the first switch:
1650469369088.png

There are small differences in the high treble, within the range of measurement error.

Compare it to this:
1650469458397.png

No bass boost, and wildly different treble.

Now let's look at the mids switch:
1650469529696.png

Mids are the same, but bass and treble are down?
Look what happens when we raise the 020 graph 3dB:
1650469587492.png

Or we can just normalize it at 50Hz instead of the default 1000Hz:
1650470045232.png

Now bass and treble match, and you can clearly see the boost in the mids.
You shouldn't normalize graphs on a point within a boosted range.

This is just another demonstration of how useless graphs can be when comparing two headphones - depending on the normalization point, results can be vastly different.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #977 of 2,418
Crinacle's measurements are a lot closer to SyncerTech's, than they are to the unmentionable's.
Take a look at the clear bass boost in the first switch:

There are small differences in the high treble, within the range of measurement error.

Compare it to this:

No bass boost, and wildly different treble.

Now let's look at the mids switch:

Mids are the same, bass bass and treble are down?
Look what happens when we raise the 020 graph 3dB:

Or we can just normalize it at 50Hz instead of the default 1000Hz:

Now bass and treble match, and you can clearly see the boost in the mids.
You shouldn't normalize graphs on a point within a boosted range.

This is just another demonstration of how useless graphs can be when comparing two headphones - depending on the normalization point, results can be vastly different.
Ah that's a good point - I didn't normalise Crin's FR to emphasise the FR shifts. It looks like Syncertech did normalise to the appropriate FR for each switch.

Hmm I'm not sure what's up with HBB's graphs - I did ask him on HifiGuides but didn't get an answer. Once I get my set I might loan it to a buddy who has the same coupler. I know that @rattlingblanketwoman has been playing around with the switches and can hear audible differences when different switches are used, so that's promising.

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #978 of 2,418
Ah that's a good point - I didn't normalise Crin's FR to emphasise the FR shifts. It looks like Syncertech did normalise to the appropriate FR for each switch.

Hmm I'm not sure what's up with HBB's graphs - I did ask him on HifiGuides but didn't get an answer. Once I get my set I might loan it to a buddy who has the same coupler. I know that @rattlingblanketwoman has been playing around with the switches and can hear audible differences when different switches are used, so that's promising.
There is no need to lend it out, you can clearly hear the differences between different tunings.
You get 8 IEMs in 1, and at least the 5 tunings I tested sound way above its price range.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #980 of 2,418
The bass shelf on HBB's Aladdin graph is also way lower than others have measured (syncertech, tgx78.squig.link). Which is unfortunate, since he's been covering a lot of interesting models lately.
Hmmm weird...and I agree, unfortunate. If they are bad measurements, for whatever reason, then at least the review itself isn't affected too much as he bases his assessment on his ears and his library. I'm really looking forward to his Hybrid War video featuring the Canon!

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #981 of 2,418
Hmmm weird...and I agree, unfortunate. If they are bad measurements, for whatever reason, then at least the review itself isn't affected too much as he bases his assessment on his ears and his library. I'm really looking forward to his Hybrid War video featuring the Canon!
Judging by the Canon mini-review, he does hear whatever he measures.
He clearly said that all the switches affect treble, instead of their designated ranges.

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #982 of 2,418
I’ve noticed other examples of his graphs not at all matching other graphs or my subjective impressions as well. Not sure if something is up with his rig or what.

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #983 of 2,418
Has anybody compared the Canon to iems in the next price bracket like the ej07m, Oracle, or sa6? The canon seems great, but is it worth spending a few hundred more? Also having a tough time deciding between the canon and serial

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #984 of 2,418
Has anybody compared the Canon to iems in the next price bracket like the ej07m, Oracle, or sa6? The canon seems great, but is it worth spending a few hundred more?
Not on EJ07M. Canon beats it in mids and treble, in bass quality it's mostly a tie - some tracks are better on Canon, some on EJ07M.
And don't forget - you get 8 IEMs when you buy the Canon...

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #985 of 2,418
Has anybody compared the Canon to iems in the next price bracket like the ej07m, Oracle, or sa6? The canon seems great, but is it worth spending a few hundred more? Also having a tough time deciding between the canon and serial
I am putting these exact two against each other every day at the moment. Usually it's a case of "I need to formalize my opinions a bit more, so I can share my comparisons, but I know which one I'm reaching for more".

However I'm reaching for each an equal amount. No idea where to go from here for now. Breaking things up here and there with the Iris 2.0 which is a whole different kettle of fish.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #987 of 2,418
It's my wi
HBB re-measured his Canon graphs and they look good now. Check out how similar Canon 101 and Serial look like:

Rattlingblanketwoman - have you compared Canon's 010 setting and Serial by any chance?

1650636306287.png
It's my wife's birthday tomorrow so I don't expect any time this weekend, but I'll keep this in mind, sure!

Apr 24, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #988 of 2,418
HBB re-measured his Canon graphs and they look good now. Check out how similar Canon 101 and Serial look like:

Rattlingblanketwoman - have you compared Canon's 010 setting and Serial by any chance?

1650636306287.png
It's good that he was able to make measurements that align with others' measurements, but what was the problem before?
Does he need to know how the graph should look in order to make a good measurement?
Are his other measurements equally random?

Apr 24, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #990 of 2,418
cannno.jpg

Here is my graph.

really enjoying the Canon....
Oh nice didn't know you got the Canon! Will you be sharing a review at some point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back