Yanyin Discussion thread
Apr 16, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #961 of 2,418
Still loving my Aladdins, they are so damn addictive and in my ears majority of the time. How can you not fall in love with music with these. Happy listening people 🙏🏾
There is a review from Tie Xi Chi Zhiqian who likes Aladdins more than Canon. On 2nd paragraph, he mentioned Canon bass is fuzzy and has too much reverb-like effects. @BenF hope you don't mind sharing some thoughts on this.

Apr 16, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #962 of 2,418
There is a review from Tie Xi Chi Zhiqian who likes Aladdins more than Canon. On 2nd paragraph, he mentioned Canon bass is fuzzy and has too much reverb-like effects. @BenF hope you don't mind sharing some thoughts on this.
I don't have Aladdins, so can't compare.
Maybe he used Canon on "111", or maybe his amp can't drive properly a 8Ohm IEM.

Canon's bass is as perfect as 1600$ UM MEST JP.

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #963 of 2,418
I think you wanna ask @Dsnuts this question.

I sold my Aladdin to raise funds for the Canon, and @rattlingblanketwoman technically has both but only the Canon on hand

Apr 16, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #964 of 2,418
Actually that description of the bass makes total sense to me.

Penon have my Aladdins due to lose 2 pin connectors, I may not still have the Canons by the time they are returned to be but I’m very interested to compare, because for my tastes I might prefer the Aladdin in some aspects. I prefer the Serial to both actually. I doubt driving is the issue, I’m using a Qudelix 5k, in both gain modes.

To me the Canon is more fun and like an effects switch has been turned on to make things more interesting. Stage reminds me of the Teas. But the Serial takes it for realism and timbre.

Apr 16, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #965 of 2,418
Canon has more mid bass over Aladdin bass so he might prefer a more neutral mid bass presentation. Preference is key here. This and if he is not using a good source with the Canon they can sound a bit off. I know a lot of obscure Chinese daps have high output impedance which skews the sound of these Yanyin IEMs.

Fuzzy is not how I would describe Canon bass. It has more bass but equal in quality to Aladdin bass. They both use similar dynamics Canons I found out later is using a slightly bigger dynamic 10mm but pretty much the same dynamic being used. Bio dynamics are excellent for bass production.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #966 of 2,418
Actually that description of the bass makes total sense to me.

Penon have my Aladdins due to lose 2 pin connectors, I may not still have the Canons by the time they are returned to be but I’m very interested to compare, because for my tastes I might prefer the Aladdin in some aspects. I prefer the Serial to both actually. I doubt driving is the issue, I’m using a Qudelix 5k, in both gain modes.

To me the Canon is more fun and like an effects switch has been turned on to make things more interesting. Stage reminds me of the Teas. But the Serial takes it for realism and timbre.
How would you compare the Aladdin to the Tea? How is the soundstage on the Serial? Thinking I might pull the trigger on one of these three this weekend.

Having trouble deciding. I have the original teas, but would like a little more bass. I also have the Kato, which I like less the more I listen (peaky, small stage). Good timbre though. Leaning towards the Canon. Thanks for all the insights

Apr 16, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #967 of 2,418
How would you compare the Aladdin to the Tea? How is the soundstage on the Serial? Thinking I might pull the trigger on one of these three this weekend.

Having trouble deciding. I have the original teas, but would like a little more bass. I also have the Kato, which I like less the more I listen (peaky, small stage). Good timbre though. Leaning towards the Canon. Thanks for all the insights
Hope these posts help you a bit:

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/nymz-s-reviews-and-database-the-tea-cult/30319/1637

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/iem-discussion-thread/14641/2192

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #968 of 2,418
Canon has more mid bass over Aladdin bass so he might prefer a more neutral mid bass presentation. Preference is key here. This and if he is not using a good source with the Canon they can sound a bit off. I know a lot of obscure Chinese daps have high output impedance which skews the sound of these Yanyin IEMs.

Fuzzy is not how I would describe Canon bass. It has more bass but equal in quality to Aladdin bass. They both use similar dynamics Canons I found out later is using a slightly bigger dynamic 10mm but pretty much the same dynamic being used. Bio dynamics are excellent for bass production.
Low output impedance is required for Canon to sound best, but that's not all. Some amps are just too powerful for their own good, and can't drive such a sensitive IEM properly.
Qudelix 5K is rated under 1Ohm, yet it does a dismal job with Canon. FIIO BTR5 isn't much better, but the cheaper and less powerful BTR3K and even BTR3 are doing a wonderful job.

Some amps are not bothered by the extra power they have - O2 in 3.3x gain mode (out of Khadas Tone Board) is an absolute perfection with Canon.

Or maybe it's more a DAC chip issue - BTR3 and BTR3K use AK437x, while Q5 and BTR5 use ES921x.
In general, I find ES921x-powered devices to be lacking in SQ compared with AK4376 and AK4377 ones.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #969 of 2,418
A good friend who got one of the first batches of the Aladdin, the first thing he did was threw on a balanced cable and put it on his Shanling M8 in balanced and in high gain as he was using his Cans that way. Guy was questioning what the heck I was hearing from them as they didn't sound great to him, sent me that message to me through a PM.

Then I told him to take out the balanced cable throw on the cable it came with and try single ended on low gain. Boom. That was when he actually heard the Aladdin for what it was.

For highly sensitive IEMs, that saying less is more actually applies. Headfi threads here tells you, you have to always use balanced to get the best sonics. Sure for less sensitive stuff and headphones. But the reason why going balanced for something like the Aladdin and Canon is not actually better is the output impedance in balanced is usually doubled that of the single ended out.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #970 of 2,418
Well, I only have the Qudelix-5k to use with the Canon, so I'll see how I like them. I doubt my ifi zen DAC would be good for the Canon given the output impedance.

But I'm still waiting for the Canon...18 days and still haven't even made it to an airport in China. Really terrible experience with the seller and the shipping option (Cainiao and PostNL; don't ask me why the algorithm matched with PostNL. Never had other AliX sellers send stuff through PostNL).

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #971 of 2,418
Well, I only have the Qudelix-5k to use with the Canon, so I'll see how I like them. I doubt my ifi zen DAC would be good for the Canon given the output impedance.

But I'm still waiting for the Canon...18 days and still haven't even made it to an airport in China. Really terrible experience with the seller and the shipping option (Cainiao and PostNL; don't ask me why the algorithm matched with PostNL. Never had other AliX sellers send stuff through PostNL).
The seller didn't choose PostNL, Caionao (owned by Aliexpress) is choosing the vendors based on available capacity and pricing.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #972 of 2,418
Please keep in mind China is currently undergoing COVID lockdowns, I have noticed delays in logistics myself so it seems to be a widespread issue currently.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #973 of 2,418
Short review of the Canon here:

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #974 of 2,418
Short review of the Canon here:

He says that all the switches affect treble, and even measures that:
1650462638291.png

Even worse, according to his measurements turning on the Bass switch has no effect on the bass, the Mids switch reduces bass and the Treble switch increases bass.
What a mess...
He is hearing his bad measurements, not the IEM.

Compare that with measurements from SyncerTech:
1650462813183.png

1650462850543.png

1650462874685.png

https://www-ixbt-com.translate.goog...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

He is rushing to put out new content, quality of his reviews is pretty low.

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #975 of 2,418
He says that all the switches affect treble, and even measures that:
1650462638291.png

Even worse, according to his measurements turning on the Bass switch has no effect on the bass, the Mids switch reduces bass and the Treble switch increases bass.
What a mess...
He is hearing his bad measurements, not the IEM.

Compare that with measurements from SyncerTech:
1650462813183.png
1650462850543.png
1650462874685.png
https://www-ixbt-com.translate.goog...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

He is rushing to put out new content, quality of his reviews is pretty low.
I was concerned about his measurements, but Crin's measurements also don't agree with Syncertech's: https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,Canon_000. Now, n=3 is hardly a sample size to draw conclusions, but it's certainly strange. I agree that Syncertech's graphs represent the ideal outcome of the switches - each bass, mid, treble switches raises a few dB only at a specific FR range, but Crin and HBB's plots don't show this. I trust that both reviewers know what they are doing, so it's a bit troubling..

In terms of his reviews, it's just an impressions as he will post a full review later. Personally I like this approach as it means I can get an impression of a set pretty quickly, and can decide if I want to spend 30-45 min watching the full review once it's out. I guess YMMV.

He really likes it, so that's good news for me as it seems like I made the right choice in buying the Canon over the Tea MKII!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back