Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,291 of 4,690
I ordered these last night from Newegg. Still $149 but I should get them in 3 days. I received my Mg7 Atrio's 5 days ago and have been trying my best to like them but the presentation is too closed in for my liking. I will be probably selling the Atrio's here or eBay.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #1,292 of 4,690

Quote:
I ordered these last night from Newegg. Still $149 but I should get them in 3 days. I received my Mg7 Atrio's 5 days ago and have been trying my best to like them but the presentation is too closed in for my liking. I will be probably selling the Atrio's here or eBay.

MG7's are slightly closed -> agreed

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,294 of 4,690

Quote:
MG7's are slightly closed -> agreed

I'd say with the right fit they are actually pretty good. It's just that there is the tendency to have some air pressure with the double-flange tips inserted deeply. One has to wriggle them around in the ear, in and out a bit to free things up and have a more open sound. The mtpc is the same way.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #1,295 of 4,690

Quote:
I'd say with the right fit they are actually pretty good. It's just that there is the tendency to have some air pressure with the double-flange tips inserted deeply. One has to wriggle them around in the ear, in and out a bit to free things up and have a more open sound. The mtpc is the same way.

true, its all fit dependant.
But in comparison to...say the IE7's, or even my TFTA's the MG7's sound a little more closed in.
Again I think I need some more burn-in.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,296 of 4,690

Quote:
Great thread people, thinking of getting the yamms for a friends birthday soon, however i wondered if u guys could answer a  question firstly? Said friend has owned senns 300, bose- unsure of model and now has denon c751, would the yamms be an upgrade to the denons or just a sidestep? Not saying he is hard to please, but he did try my shure530 a while ago and although he did like them, he was`nt that impressed with them and i got them back after a couple of days, where as i thought it may have had a harder time to get the them back off him...  I think totallydubbed has both the denons and yamms, would be good to hear from you, maybe? Any other iem reccomendations would be greatly appreciated, as long as its in price range, must also add he likes to jog and train in his iems, plus likes most genres of music, probably leaning more towards indie, bit of drum n bass, beatles, oasis, elvis... defo not classical.  Thanks in advance to any headfiers posts.. 

Ok my man :)
Well I don't own the Yama's for starters, so i couldn't give you a comparison.

HOWEVER:
For your friend with the C751's and the se535's
This is such an easy question, one that you might not hear from a lot of head-fiers, as most do love the se535's. Me on the other hand, I didn't like the se535's

Now this is my ASSUMPTION, but I'm basing this on my previous experience with the se535's and the denon's, thus might be relevant to your friend/you
The C751's have a good punch of bass to them.
On the se535's they are literally non-existant.
"shure" bass is there (lol), however its not as good as the 751's, not by a mile.

This is due to the fact that the 751's have dynamic drivers, and the se535's have BA drivers.
+ the se535's are...god 5x more expensive?
-> not worth it IMO.

That said, if your being analytical, especially if you want to hear your music clearly, the C751's are one of the muddiest earphones I've heard.
I actually sold them for their brothers, the C710's

The se535's are quite literally the exact opposite of the C751's
Se535's work wonder on mids and highs, but aren't bass heavy or have a punch -> simply because they are IEM's I consider for performers on stage, rather than every-day listeners, like you and me (even though a lot of head-fier love the se535's  or 530's for personal listening, that's more to do with their taste, I find)

The C715's have little to no mids, good highs, but extremely powerful bass!

If you asked me, and wanted me to give you a "upgrade" to the C751's I would look at 3 earphones:
-TFTA 1V or 1XB (depending on how much MORE bass you want)
-Atrio MG7
-Denon AH-C710

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #1,297 of 4,690
 Thanks very much totalldubbed, that info is just what i need, will defo be checking out your three recommends, mate`s birthday in july, so have time for research and may even buy now, so i can burn them in for him, what a great friend i am?.. May even be keepers for me? lol... In your opinion, whats an upgrade to the shure 530s, i am also in the market for new iems. Sorry about this, dont want to trash the eph100 thread up to much, trying to keep things brief.. Cheers pal.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #1,299 of 4,690

Quote:
 Thanks very much totalldubbed, that info is just what i need, will defo be checking out your three recommends, mate`s birthday in july, so have time for research and may even buy now, so i can burn them in for him, what a great friend i am?.. May even be keepers for me? lol... In your opinion, whats an upgrade to the shure 530s, i am also in the market for new iems. Sorry about this, dont want to trash the eph100 thread up to much, trying to keep things brief.. Cheers pal.

No problem my man!
Well its hard to say. Se535/530's are a different thing, by that i mean they are analytical on their sound.

So, you are completly right in looking in this thread for the yamas.

Personally, if you want something like the se535's, by that i mean, not overpowering or thumping bass, then the yamas, vsonic gr07's, JVC FX700/FXT90, sennheiser IE8/80 should be on your list.
To give you one, is impossible.
Each prefers their own earphones.

My suggestion, do a lot of reading, and try, to work out, by comparing people's opinions to what you would personally prefer.

And yes, that is VERY VERY nice of you to be looking for earphones :)
What a brilliant present :D

Not pushing a sale or anything, but the TFTA's and actually the MG7's in all aspects beat the C751's
The 710's beat the 751's too -> in fact tell you what, in my sig, I have a 7x earphone comparison. I think this might be a great help for you, or more so for your birthday present :)

My birthday is in July too...more specifically on the 4th ! Will you get me a pair too :D!? haha

Quote:
Whats the one that has more bass? The TFTA 1V or 1XB? And what about mids? Forward mids? Good treble, BTW?

I have a comparison of the 2 brother!
I rather not be off topic about the TFTA's here :p

But quickly put: 1XB's = HELL LOT MORE BASS :D

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #1,300 of 4,690

Quote:
true, its all fit dependant.
But in comparison to...say the IE7's, or even my TFTA's the MG7's sound a little more closed in.
Again I think I need some more burn-in.

I actually was okay with the MG7 yesterday. :) I finally found the right combination of eartip and insertion and I was thinking about keeping them too but I still want something more spacious.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #1,301 of 4,690
Cheers mate.
I have ordered mine already. Personally I don't think very highly about not-standardized reviews. That is if opinions on SQ, separation, stage, response to different frequencies, and all are not based on the same technical reference all the way to the headphone (audio file, DAC,  to some extent cables, headphone amp (if necessary) I really don't see much point in taking them as valid. There is already a HUGE difference in the physical performance of individual human auditory "instruments", not to mention the significant impact of how "educated" ones hearing is, so adding to all this the variables brought by inconsistent technical aspect and you end up with just endless babble. As a result I don't see much point in adding my own personal view on how this or that headphones "sound". But if there's anything someone wants to ask me in particular after I get mine (probably in a couple of days) I'll be more than happy to oblige. Really curious about these ones... fingers crossed.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #1,302 of 4,690

Quote:
I actually was okay with the MG7 yesterday. :) I finally found the right combination of eartip and insertion and I was thinking about keeping them too but I still want something more spacious.

They do need burn-in, that is something I said from my initial impressions :)
They are very nice, soundstage is good, and isn't lacking. But if you really want something more spacious, then something like I said, the IE7/8/80's would be more up your street.

I don't think the IE series competes with the bass levels of the MG7's nor the TFTA's...but that might just be me...

Quote:
Cheers mate.
I have ordered mine already. Personally I don't think very highly about not-standardized reviews. That is if opinions on SQ, separation, stage, response to different frequencies, and all are not based on the same technical reference all the way to the headphone (audio file, DAC,  to some extent cables, headphone amp (if necessary) I really don't see much point in taking them as valid. There is already a HUGE difference in the physical performance of individual human auditory "instruments", not to mention the significant impact of how "educated" ones hearing is, so adding to all this the variables brought by inconsistent technical aspect and you end up with just endless babble. As a result I don't see much point in adding my own personal view on how this or that headphones "sound". But if there's anything someone wants to ask me in particular after I get mine (probably in a couple of days) I'll be more than happy to oblige. Really curious about these ones... fingers crossed.

do let us know how they pan out, especially about sleeping comfort :)

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #1,303 of 4,690

Quote:
They do need burn-in, that is something I said from my initial impressions :)
They are very nice, soundstage is good, and isn't lacking. But if you really want something more spacious, then something like I said, the IE7/8/80's would be more up your street.

I don't think the IE series competes with the bass levels of the MG7's nor the TFTA's...but that might just be me...

do let us know how they pan out, especially about sleeping comfort :)

Thank you for recommending the IE7/8/80's but right now I like to stay under $200 so I am very curious how the Yamaha's will work for me. I am willing to compromise a little bit if they don't sound as good as my favorites the Monster Pro-Coppers and if they sound better then I will be a happy camper!! :)

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,304 of 4,690

Quote:
Thank you for recommending the IE7/8/80's but right now I like to stay under $200 so I am very curious how the Yamaha's will work for me. I am willing to compromise a little bit if they don't sound as good as my favorites the Monster Pro-Coppers and if they sound better then I will be a happy camper!! :)

IE8's should be under $200, and the IE7's under $150

That said, I would suggest at least trying the yamas beforehand
I have no experience with the yamas, but from reading about them, they do sound tempting, especially for the ~$100 (used) price

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,305 of 4,690

Quote:

Btw...Just ABing the TFTA 1XB's and the MG7's....
I'm really hesitating over the MG7's.

yes they are a great steal at $95 shipped for the price I paid, but...I still prefer my TFTA's...(and they were free)
TFTA's are more open than the MG7's...have more mid-bass, although they lack that refinement that the MG7's have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back