Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #406 of 4,690

Quote:
It's not a contradiction, it's a fact. They do have somewhat similar sound signature, especially noticed on vocals. Mids are very identical. Treble is not identical, I said they have different presentation, I was talking about treble *quality*. GR-07's treble is not better, so, they're on pair with the EPH-100's in this aspect. What makes them sound dry and lifeless is probably the huge difference on bass/sub-bass and the immersive 3D imaging and far superior instrument separation. GR-07's sound quite 2D and are less lively, immersive, energetic and dynamic. The GR-07's congest on Metal, with many layers of instruments, while the EPH-100's never do and this is the type of music I'm listening the most. This results on a much more enjoyable listening experience with the EPH-100's. For me, it's a night and day difference, even if they have quite similar mids. Hope this clarifies.

Lol... I'm thinking that facts are usually based on evidence rather than personal opinion. I'm also thinking that your personal opinion would bear more weight in the eyes of potential buyers if you used both phones to A/B, rather than your unreliable musical memory. Lets not forget my friend that just 1 week ago you created a WOW thread about the GR07's being "the best dynamic I have ever heard period" .
wink.gif

It's funny, as I actually like the Yamaha's just as much as all other owners on here. Perhaps that's why I'm trying to prevent potential buyers preconceptions being tarnished by sensationalist statements.

Anyway... I wouldn't describe the Vsonics as sounding congested with any genres. Granted, they do not have separation and 3d imaging to match the Yamaha's... but to me this does not equate to congestion, dryness or lifelessness.

I usually listen to a fair bit of metal - much of it raw, technical and extreme - but since my EPH-100s arrived, I've opted more for other genres. This is because I do not feel that the Yamaha's can render metal nearly as well as the vsonics, largely due to much slower bass response, more liquid mids and comparatively smoother / more recessed highs. In my eyes these are not weaknesses, they are strengths. Strengths which are best showcased through other genres. I'd also say that the FXT90s beat both IEMs when it comes to metal
L3000.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #407 of 4,690

Quote:
They don't complement in my opinion. The EPH-100 totally substitute and kicks out the GR-07. ; ) They will sound dry, lifeless, so small in comparison. In contrast the EPH100s will sound lively, fuller, more energetic, dynamic, with outstanding impact, excelent punchy bass/sub-bass, instrument separation and 3D imaging. Mids are pretty much the same thing, so you won't miss anything from the GR-07s. Treble quality is identical too, just different presentation.

Looking forward for your impressions.

this thread has all the good fixings to become another fotm.  i have been somewhat following this and i have been waiting for some feedback from additional members that own the yamahas and gr07 but havent seen any yet.  very much looking forward to seeing some additional comparisons from other members with both. there is no doubt alot of strong opinions about this phone and hopefully others members will substantiate these findings.  it is funny however how fast the gr07, which is a great phome, kept dropping in this rating, due to the fact that the eph now substitutes and kicks out the gr07 my money says it will continue to fall.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #408 of 4,690

Quote:
I wanted a good new universal pair so picked these up in Singapore after reading everything - I tried on quite a few IEMs at Jaben (IE8s, FS Atrios, Final Audio Heaven, Denon C710) and out of all of those, liked the C710s, but not at their price.  Went across the street and picked up the Yamaha's for about $130USD and started breaking them in for 24 hrs.  Started listening on the plane(s) home (SIN -> NRT -> IAH) and very happy with them so far.  Not as bright as the c710s were but overall sound is enjoyable with thick, tangible bass/midbass (esp. on timpani drums and cellos)

Bass is surprisingly good for such a small IEM and the double-flange tips really help with a touch more isolation than other universals.  Was listening to vocal/progressive trance and Jpop/Kpop ballads.

Will keep breaking them in and hope to hear more good things out of them!  Thanks for everyone's input on this thread - it was a big part of my decision-making process!

You're welcome, and I'm glad you're enjoying them. And I agree, isolation is definetly above average.

Quote:
Didn't know 2 Unlimited. Quite impressive with the EPH-100s.

Lol - 2 Unlimited!?
eek.gif
  Now that's a name I haven't heard in several decades. I remember dancing to "No Limits" at  juniour school discos in the early 90's
darthsmile.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #410 of 4,690
I've been A/B'ing them DIRECTLY as I've just posted the GR-07's yesterday. Unlike you I'm not doing this by memory, but by next second listening from one to another. And yes, they do sound dry and lifeless in comparison.

What's the problem by saying that a phone is the best dynamic I ever heard period (that was the truth), if the next day I listen to one that is much better? I don't get you. And with me, this does not happen everyday. I don't get impressed easily by a phone as you can see from my ratings to SM3, Sony EX1000, etc. Theres no "WoW" threads about those for sure.

Unlike many people here I don't think the last IEM I bought is the best in the world as you can see from my sig (ratings). Recently I got the Sony EX1000's, I didn't like them. The same for the j-phonic K2 SP, which I had high expectations, didn't like them at all, and this is just to mention a few I did not like. And yes, we are talking about $500 "top-tiers".

And I could say much more but it's not worth it. You are confusing me with other person, dude.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #411 of 4,690

Quote:
I've been A/B'ing them DIRECTLY as I've just posted the GR-07's yesterday. Unlike you I'm not doing this by memory, but by next second listening from one to another. And yes, they do sound dry and lifeless in comparison.

What's the problem by saying that a phone is the best dynamic I ever heard period (that was the truth), if the next day I listen to one that is much better? I don't get you. And with me, this does not happen everyday. I don't get impressed easily by a phone as you can see from my ratings to SM3, Sony EX1000, etc. Theres no "WoW" threads about those for sure.

Unlike many people here I don't think the last IEM I bought is the best in the world as you can see from my sig (ratings). Recently I got the Sony EX1000's, I didn't like them. The same for the j-phonic K2 SP, which I had high expectations, didn't like them at all, and this is just to mention a few I did not like. And yes, we are talking about $500 "top-tiers".

And I could say much more but it's not worth it. You are confusing me with other person, dude.

MIOW I'm with you on this. Makes sense to me. You are doing the direct A/B'ing at the moment & have plenty of experience with a variety of  IEM's.
I rather take your opinion as things stand. I prefer strong committed opinions than ones that are more like the useless weather men predictions.
Serve to do nothing but further confuse individuals.

It seems clear to me you have been searching for the better IEM & each time you have found one that makes you feel its an upwards jump you rejoice it vocally & I applaud that. And where it has been sidewards or diagonal you have not been as vocal.

You don't need a great grasp of audiophile vocabulary to know what sounds good & be able to express it. In my opinion impression & opinion write ups should not be like a poetry competition in themselves. Way too much philosophical pondering going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nulliverse

And I agree, isolation is definetly above average.

Nulliverse Out of all DD IEM's that you have tried - Which would you say has best isolation ?

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #412 of 4,690
Impressive, met and exceeded my expectations, I prefer my IE8's/80s (my repaired IE8's have an IE80 like sub bass rather than mid bass hump that I always had top EQ out, but they look like IE8's rather than IE80's). IE's own in bass. I think the EPH's match my IE's in mids. The part that I find both bizarre and surprising is I prefer the treble from the EPH's. The two are pretty equal in transparency but the IE's own in soundstage. I think I have purchased an outstanding pair of backup IEM's, thanks to everyone that got this thread rolling, bought these on friday, got em today and love em.

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #414 of 4,690

Quote:
Impressive, met and exceeded my expectations, I prefer my IE8's/80s (my repaired IE8's have an IE80 like sub bass rather than mid bass hump that I always had top EQ out, but they look like IE8's rather than IE80's). IE's own in bass. I think the EPH's match my IE's in mids. The part that I find both bizarre and surprising is I prefer the treble from the EPH's. The two are pretty equal in transparency but the IE's own in soundstage. I think I have purchased an outstanding pair of backup IEM's, thanks to everyone that got this thread rolling, bought these on friday, got em today and love em.

Hi my friend. EPH-100 = IE8 (80's) means no burn-in. Let me know after 150-200 hours if they still sound like the IE8's, because that would be really odd ; )

The things I say about the treble its because my ears are accostumed to triple drivers treble (UM3X/SM3), which is excelent. Also this is a typical YAMAHA's treble, which never was my coup of tea on their studio monitors, so take that with a grain of salt. Listen to some Samson Rubicon R8a with Ribbon tweeters and you'll see what treble is. These are the ones I've been mixing with on my studio since 2 years ago or so. Thats treble!!

I'm glad you like them. They're VERY good indeed.
normal_smile%20.gif

Quote:
Can anyone compare these to the ME Elec CC51 (ceramic), please.

I can compare to the Panasonic HJE900 and Playaz N3 Nature (from your sig) which are WAY inferior (since treble, to bass, to mids, to instrument separation, to 3D imaging, to soundstage/headstage, to definition/detail, timber, well, pretty much everything). Hey, and I was a big Playaz N3 fan 2 years ago  ; )

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #415 of 4,690
Well, as much as some people wax poetic about the EPH-100, I don't believe they're for everybody. First of all, the forward microdriver configuration doesn't fit everybody. I have relatively small ear canals, and cringe at the thought of sticking a 6mm tube in my ears. People with large bends in their ear canals also won't benefit from microdrivers much, either. It's very difficult to get the right positioning with drivers that mounted that far forward, so any benefit they get with imaging and soundstage will go out the window, which was my experience with the Fischer Ceramique.

Thus, just because there are some people here who might love the EPH-100, pick carefully and choose something that's right for you, individually, as YMMV.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #416 of 4,690
I never move to a GR07, because I'm a big of 3D, imagin and a good soundstage, with clarity and detail, I hope EPH-100 stands out in this field.

Im not too, very fan of forward treble sound, hurt my ears after long period , i prefer a neutral treble.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #417 of 4,690

Quote:
Well, as much as some people wax poetic about the EPH-100, I don't believe they're for everybody. First of all, the forward microdriver configuration doesn't fit everybody. I have relatively small ear canals, and cringe at the thought of sticking a 6mm tube in my ears. People with large bends in their ear canals also won't benefit from microdrivers much, either. It's very difficult to get the right positioning with drivers that mounted that far forward, so any benefit they get with imaging and soundstage will go out the window, which was my experience with the Fischer Ceramique.

Thus, just because there are some people here who might love the EPH-100, pick carefully and choose something that's right for you, individually, as YMMV.

Nobody can force you or anyone to buy these things however much they are sugar coated - Especially if you know you don't like tubes in your ears  or have wonky ear canals.

Its been agreed that these IEM's excel at quite a few genre & do well on others such as classical. Fitting has not been a major issue for anyone so far. 

Sorry but I didn't get the point of your post. Is it a warning to people with small or wonky ear canals not to buy 6mm IEM's ?

Quote:
I never move to a GR07, because I'm a big of 3D, imagin and a good soundstage, with clarity and detail, I hope EPH-100 stands out in this field.

Im not too, very fan of forward treble sound, hurt my ears after long period , i prefer a neutral treble.

PACK21 If you are after those quality's you have nothing to worry about. I really like the EPH-100's because they deliver all of those.
Only thing to be aware is that if you lean heavily towards classical than you may prefer something else.

Quote:

I was also interested in IE8/80 at one point so would love to read a little more comparison.

How does the Bass punch/impact compare ? Clarity & Detail ? 3D like Imaging/Separation ? Isolation/Fit ?

Try to give EPH100's 100 hours before making a firmer conclusion.

I think you have a good combo there to cover classical/jazz with one & everything else on other.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #418 of 4,690
Quote:

Sorry but I didn't get the point of your post. Is it a warning to people with small or wonky ear canals not to buy 6mm IEM's ?

It is a warning to the people who might get caught up in the FOTM hype. I'm sure the EPH's shortcomings will catch up with it in time, just like the GR07 before it. So, my post was just an example of how it's important to look harder when considering a new product. You'd be surprised how many people buy things based off simple statements other members make here.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #419 of 4,690

Quote:
It is a warning to the people who might get caught up in the FOTM hype. I'm sure the EPH's shortcomings will catch up with it in time, just like the GR07 before it. So, my post was just an example of how it's important to look harder when considering a new product. You'd be surprised how many people buy things based off simple statements other members make here.

Very true.

But I already ordered a pair yesterday to replace my IE8
biggrin.gif

Hope they don´t dissappoint.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #420 of 4,690

Quote:
I think you have a good combo there to cover classical/jazz with one & everything else on other.

Thats it. But he will certainly have a surprise after burn-in since at 100 hours now, I feel the bass is tighter, more controlled, with excelent definition (IE8's is boomy). And the punch is all there. Just tighter than before. They're also louder (!!!), which never happened to me before on a IEM during/after burn-in (!!!). I had to put volume down from -25 to -29 (same songs, same recordings). And this makes everything sound more clear. Let's see how they sound at 200 hours. I feel that theres still room for improvement. Even the cable isn't properly burnt-in yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back