Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #421 of 4,690

Quote:
It is a warning to the people who might get caught up in the FOTM hype. I'm sure the EPH's shortcomings will catch up with it in time, just like the GR07 before it. So, my post was just an example of how it's important to look harder when considering a new product. You'd be surprised how many people buy things based off simple statements other members make here.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Not so sure if I agree with you about short comings catching up. They are there now & will remain until something better comes along with its qualities & more.
This is what happened to GR07. For some people better alternatives came along & they jumped to it.
And i hope this does happen at some point for EPH-100 because i will buy that IEM to elevate my listening pleasure even higher.
But i do agree that people should avoid the jumping on the latest FAD because it is talk of the month. Do your research first.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #422 of 4,690

Quote:
It is a warning to the people who might get caught up in the FOTM hype. I'm sure the EPH's shortcomings will catch up with it in time, just like the GR07 before it. So, my post was just an example of how it's important to look harder when considering a new product. You'd be surprised how many people buy things based off simple statements other members make here.

But that is what drives the world's economy right? 
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #423 of 4,690
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up.

Not so sure if I agree with you about short comings catching up. They are there now & will remain until something better comes along with its qualities & more. This is what happened to GR07. For some people better alternatives came along & they jumped to it. And i hope this does happen at some point for EPH-100 because i will buy that IEM to elevate my listening pleasure even higher. But i do agree that people should avoid the jumping on the latest FAD because it is talk of the month. Do your research first.

Yes, in many ways we're on the same page. Most FOTM-esque products usually tend toward the 'bang-for-buck' category, and while they almost always excellent, there will be certain concessions to the SQ; in addition, peoples' tastes in sound signature evolve over time.

Although I haven't heard it, I'm sure the EPH-100 is a great-sounding earphone. I've just had the luxury of being able to try out a lot of different flagship products and have been able to hone my tastes in headphones and figure out how different configurations work. I actually bought my GR07 as a stop-gap for my cravings for the EX1000, but it's about to leave my collection as well.

Quote:
But that is what drives the world's economy right? 
biggrin.gif

Yes! I'm glad you have the world's economy in mind. Spend away, mister! Stimulate the retail and service sectors with your hard-earned cash!
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #425 of 4,690

Having said what i did, i should have added the Yamaha EPH-100 will not be a FAD for me & i don't think for many others judging by there impressions thus far.

For me they will be a keeper for a long time until an upgrade can offer all it has & more at a justifiable price point. I don't believe in single handedly trying to drive the worlds economy.

I did a lot of research before ending up with EPH-100. Initially aiming high with a budget of £300 & when i felt too many top tiers were going to be too much of a compromise for the asking price i went for EPH-100 to tie me over. But it turned out to be a LOT more than i had expected & hence all of my rejoicement on this thread. I might not have owned many top tier IEM's before but I do have a £3K hi-fi rig so i know what to expect from good sound - well what's good to my ears.

There are others with lot more IEM experience such as Tienbasse, Miow & Nulliverse that are indicating these have good merits & not just for the months FAD.
In fact so far in the thread no one purchasing these has been regrettable about their decision. I don't think people need to be over scared with purchasing these relatively cheap IEM's as they really do deliver lot more than their value. Just not the best for all out classical lovers.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #426 of 4,690
I agree with the above, it took flaming ages to convince archy that these are golden.

So as the saying goes, don't knock em till you've tried em.

Making assumptions never bodes well.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #427 of 4,690
Quote:
I know that feeling, they certainly grab your attention.

Always nice to know how they fare, especially when someone has much higher end iem's like your miracles for example.

I keep my sleeks for detail, but 90% of the time it's done through these phones, they are just such fun to listen to.

I should have put Huxley in the list amongst people how have good experience with IEM's.
When he can say such about a universal IEM against a custom you know we are not talking FADS. Something special.

Cheers Huxley !   
beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #428 of 4,690
No worries, and i was being honest, they have detail and sparkle but that's about it.

The yammies are just so good at getting those toes tapping.

If i put on any diana krall, it just knocks me out honestly i wind up falling asleep plugged in.

So whilst i understand the trepidation, they really do punch far higher than the price suggests.

I used to have a £4000 car ice setup, so i know a thing or two about good sound.

Nulliverse - 2 unlimited lol, we had them in a local nightclub, everyone was singing 'there's no lyrics' with them on stage.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #429 of 4,690

Quote:
When he can say such about a universal IEM against a custom you know we are not talking FADS. Something special.

Precisely. And it's not ANY custom, it's a 6 driver Unique Melody Miracle, right?

Quote:

I keep my sleeks for detail, but 90% of the time it's done through these phones, they are just such fun to listen to.

90% of the time with the YAMAHA's?
eek.gif
I knew they're good, but not THAT good!

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #431 of 4,690
Well it's in part as id rather have them for the gym, but also they're better for getting the blood pumping anyway.

Plus in fairness my customs have just a single ba driver, so whilst great for detail and vocals, they can become congested plus they can sound cold and lifeless.

Music should be felt as well as heard, it's all well and good hearing every bit but sometimes you just want to kick back and just enjoy the music.

And for that these little yamahas are perfect, they're laid back so i can leave them plugged in for hours.

On a side note, i find i can wear the ss and ll tips, prefer the ss tips but i'll keep the ll's on for now, as they still feel a bit strange for now.

In the gym the ss tips can slip a bit of im sweating too much.

Eke26 - Nice one, attacking from the rear is your best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back