Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 31, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #391 of 4,690
Kloan don't fear the mids - they are full & smooth. In fact no extreme highs/screeching at all with with EPH100. Treble is perfect to my sensitive ears - any more & i would EQU it down.

Like you i can't tolerate strong highs & was one of the reasons i went for EPH100 & left out EX600/EX1000/FX700/FXT90. I get the the feeling even GR07 treble would be strong for my ears as well.

Meow will check it out mate. Thanks !

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #392 of 4,690
Well the 5% discount you get if you order today sealed the deal for me. Looking forward to see how they fare against my GR07. Hopefully they complement each other well and then it'll make sense to keep both. Excited! 

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #393 of 4,690
They don't complement in my opinion. The EPH-100 totally substitute and kicks out the GR-07. ; ) They will sound dry, lifeless, so small in comparison. In contrast the EPH100s will sound lively, fuller, more energetic, dynamic, with outstanding impact, excelent punchy bass/sub-bass, instrument separation and 3D imaging. Mids are pretty much the same thing, so you won't miss anything from the GR-07s. Treble quality is identical too, just different presentation.

Looking forward for your impressions.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #394 of 4,690
How is the fit with these when wearing them down? tienbasse mentioned something about strain reliefs hitting his ear lobs when wearing them down, which prevented a deep insert, are others experiencing the same? 

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #395 of 4,690
I think that was because Tienbasse said he had extra large ear canals. Even standard LL tips did not fit him well & resorted to a custom solution.
For me wearing down is fine & I have worn with Medium & Small tips.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #397 of 4,690

Quote:
How is the fit with these when wearing them down? tienbasse mentioned something about strain reliefs hitting his ear lobs when wearing them down, which prevented a deep insert, are others experiencing the same? 

Not at all and I use the LL tips, I got big ear canals. Deep seal, deep insert, won't fall even if I jump. I just don't feel very comfortable with the biflange stock tips, but they are the ones who provide the best bass (and treble). Managed to insert some Sony Hybrids in this huge 7mm nozzle (don't ask how), but when I went back to the stock tips, it's other thing, I was losing bass and some clarity. Plus they insert deeper, total isolation.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #398 of 4,690
OK, so I just unboxed the EPH-100 (a day earlier than promised from Amazon), and right out of the box, I'm a believer. Listening to Porcupine Tree, In Absentia at 320kB fron a Sony X-1061 with no EQ. I'm getting chills as I write this. The presentation is so much fuller and dynamic compared to the RE0's that I'm used to at this point. The bass really is great. I'm not a huge bass-head, so over the top booming bass turns me off, but the bass in these is really balanced, really full, and contolled. The treble, while not as detailed as the RE0's, is really not that bad. I don't feel like I'm missing anything in the higher registers. I also really like the mids on htese. I really like acoustic singer/songwriter, and the voices and guitar work is really a treat to listen to. I just moved over to Nick Drake's Pink Moon, and his voice is just so fluid, and the instruments are nicely separated and detailed. You can really hear all the separate finger picking, and still have the fullness of the bass strings to fill out the sound.
I look forward to hearing how these evolve over the next few days. I'll also go back to my Klipsch X10 to compare to when I get a chance, and to pick up my wife's Phonak to compare.
Overall, I'm very impressed!

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #399 of 4,690
cool Scheidrich....We await the comparison with Phonak.

Pic for OP.

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #400 of 4,690
scheiderichdmd welcome to the Club !

Just give it 100 hours & your appreciation will grow to another level.
I'm finding bass with more texture & highs silkier.

The stock tips are best. Try different sizes if you have fitting issues.
I was having comfort issues with the stock double flange tip so went to Meelec tip solution used by Tienbasse.
I found the bass & treble affected by it slightly & thought I could live with it for the increased comfort.
After few days I put stocks back on one size smaller than before & glad to find there was no discomfort issue.
Should have done this in the first place. Any how I was pleasantly surprised to find the sound quality was so much better.

Tienbasse if it's possible at all try to get the stocks back on somehow as I believe the sound quality is compromised with the Meelec tip solution.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #401 of 4,690
I think 100 hours is not sufficient. Treble's still sounding a bit "weird" to my ears in some genres (Fado, for eg. Mariza - Terra). Yeah, I know, I was never a big fan of YAMAHA's treble (but it can still improve, lets see). 200 hours to break-in cable too. But strangely it sounds good on Mezzoforte, Dave Weckl and Lee Ritenour (Jazz) as well as on many other genres - Metal, Electro, R&B, Hip-Hop, Rock.  Well, I'm gonna wait till the 200 hours for final veredict on treble.

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #402 of 4,690

Quote:
They don't complement in my opinion. The EPH-100 totally substitute and kicks out the GR-07. ; ) They will sound dry, lifeless, so small in comparison. In contrast the EPH100s will sound lively, fuller, more energetic, dynamic, with outstanding impact, excelent punchy bass/sub-bass, instrument separation and 3D imaging. Mids are pretty much the same thing, so you won't miss anything from the GR-07s. Treble quality is identical too, just different presentation.

Looking forward for your impressions.

The Vsonics sound dry and lifeless in comparison, despite having identical treble and mids? 
confused_face%281%29.gif

Even if that wasn't a confusing contradiction, I'd still disagree on both counts.

I don't have my GR07s on hand to do a direct comparison, so will hold back from making statements from sketchy musical memory. However, I'm fairly confident that when I do get round to A/Bing, my findings will reveal bigger differences in signature, and much smaller differences in overall performance / capability.

To the person who asked if the Yamaha's sounded like the Atrios MG7 with more forward mids: I've not heard the Atrios, but will guesstimate that this is unlikely. I say this as my FX-700s and EPH-100s have similar bass quantity, and from what I've read the MG7s have more bass quantity than the FX700s. I've not read impressions describing the Atrios soundstage as anything exciting, nor it's separation. That's not to say that they've been criticized for this - they haven't - they just haven't been praised in these areas in the same way that they have for their bottom end.

In contrast, the Yamaha's have been praised above all else for their exceptionally good separation and imaging... not least by me! That said, their bottom end is still impressive, and I'm still undecided as to whether they are on par with the FX700s in terms of sub-bass quantity. Time will tell.

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #403 of 4,690
It's not a contradiction, it's a fact. They do have somewhat similar sound signature, especially noticed on vocals. Mids are very identical. Treble is not identical, I said they have different presentation, I was talking about treble *quality*. GR-07's treble is not better, so, they're on pair with the EPH-100's in this aspect. What makes them sound dry and lifeless is probably the huge difference on bass/sub-bass and the immersive 3D imaging and far superior instrument separation. GR-07's sound quite 2D and are less lively, immersive, energetic and dynamic. The GR-07's congest on Metal, with many layers of instruments, while the EPH-100's never do and this is the type of music I'm listening the most. This results on a much more enjoyable listening experience with the EPH-100's. For me, it's a night and day difference, even if they have quite similar mids. Hope this clarifies.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #404 of 4,690
I wanted a good new universal pair so picked these up in Singapore after reading everything - I tried on quite a few IEMs at Jaben (IE8s, FS Atrios, Final Audio Heaven, Denon C710) and out of all of those, liked the C710s, but not at their price.  Went across the street and picked up the Yamaha's for about $130USD and started breaking them in for 24 hrs.  Started listening on the plane(s) home (SIN -> NRT -> IAH) and very happy with them so far.  Not as bright as the c710s were but overall sound is enjoyable with thick, tangible bass/midbass (esp. on timpani drums and cellos)

Bass is surprisingly good for such a small IEM and the double-flange tips really help with a touch more isolation than other universals.  Was listening to vocal/progressive trance and Jpop/Kpop ballads.

Will keep breaking them in and hope to hear more good things out of them!  Thanks for everyone's input on this thread - it was a big part of my decision-making process!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back