Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #377 of 4,690
It seems like the general consensus of these earphones are that they do bass really well with lots of energy while still being pretty viable in the treble area. From what I've read here, this sounds a lot like the Atrio MG7s. Is it correct in saying that these two phones have a similar sound signature?

I listen to a wide range of music genres, of which one of my favorites is classical. For that, I have my B2s that satisfy my analytical needs. The EPH-100 sounds like the perfect pair for me when I want a bit more punch when I listen to EDM, trance, etc. Thanks for all the impressions!

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #379 of 4,690
I bit the bullet and ordered them through Audioaffair, 75$ cheaper than I paid for the Gr07. It was between these and the FXT90. I chose these because the FXT90 is at its peak price, these are new and have yet to be inflated by demand, so I figured it was logical to see if I these would work for me before I tried the FXT90.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #380 of 4,690

Quote:
It seems like the general consensus of these earphones are that they do bass really well with lots of energy while still being pretty viable in the treble area. From what I've read here, this sounds a lot like the Atrio MG7s. Is it correct in saying that these two phones have a similar sound signature?
I listen to a wide range of music genres, of which one of my favorites is classical. For that, I have my B2s that satisfy my analytical needs. The EPH-100 sounds like the perfect pair for me when I want a bit more punch when I listen to EDM, trance, etc. Thanks for all the impressions!

This is exactly what I was thinking except with more forward mids, which is what I was missing with the MG7 (and the comfort). Also, as far as build quality, these seem in a whole other league compared to the cheap looking MG7's.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #381 of 4,690

Quote:
How behave EPH-100 music genres, such as:

1 - Bob Marley, Dire Straits, David Bowie, Queen, The Cure,Rolling Stones, Marillion, PrinceSade, Waterboys, The clash, etc....... I'm a 80's ear.

Bold ones are all on my list too. Just haven't got through all genres yet.

I'm on PC rig now with EPH100 & Essence STX going through Dire Straits.  First album Dire Straits (Jap HDCD).

Superb .

I could not ask for more. The separation combined with just right amount of clarity has given the album new life.
Knopfler's voice is brilliant - well formed & full throughout the album. Bass guitaring  is phenomenal just as is the acoustic.
Drums are punchy with texture as well as  clarity.

Having reached Six Blade Knife, I'm getting the impression that bass texture has also improved with time. I wish I had listened to this CD earlier to get a better comparison.
The bass from drums is rich in texture which certainly did not seem the case a while back. 

Your EPH100's couldn't arrive quicker friend. Make sure to do them justice with 100 hour burn & a decent source before passing any judgement.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #382 of 4,690

Quote:
Like this?

Love - Burn in =  Hate

You have issues
blink.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #383 of 4,690
Do they really sound like the Atrio? I found the upper mids too forward in those (screeeeeeeeech).

Are the Yamahas the same?

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #384 of 4,690
Mids are forward but in a way that vocals sound wonderful, not exagerated, not too close (right distance), with exceptional timbre and they're not affected by any mid-bass-hump/coloration as it happens a bit with the UM3X and way too much with the SM3 and many other IEMs that put more weight on the mid-bass (the EPH100s put more weight on the sub-bass). I would say they have the best vocals of all the IEMs you can see from my sig. For so many times I have the impression that the singer is performing right in front of me, live. It's so beautiful and involving. Right next to the EPH-100's are the Vsonic GR-07's, followed by the UM3X and right next to the Westone 3. Then Sony EX1000, then SM3, then Miles Davis Tribute and finally the IE8's (too much mid-bass hump on these).

Hope this helps.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #385 of 4,690
Where'd you get yours for $105?

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #387 of 4,690
Cool, thanks! I used a 5% coupon code, PAYDAY, and with shipping it ended up being $114 CDN.

Really bizarre thing happened though... when I was in Paypal setting up the payment, it showed I had a balance of $51.15 USD, which I have no idea where it came from. I check my history for the entire month of January and there's no record of it.

So unless I can figure out where that money came from, I'm gonna tell myself these only cost me $63... lol :)

I hope I like these... I've been through so many freakin IEMs now.

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #388 of 4,690
LOL. Thats bizarre indeed.

Welcome to the club, my friend ; )

Looking forward for your impressions next week. Just give them 100 hours before judgement and preferencial 200+ hours for cable to break-in as well as this can give you wider soundstaging, deeper bass and more extension to the treble as per previous experience with custom cables (think it must be the same thing for stock cables).

P.S. They are better than Westone 3 and MTPC and more "wow" than UM3X in my opinion (also have superior instrument separation/layering), so I think you'll like them alot (I see where you come from, looks like we have similar tastes regarding IEMs)

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #389 of 4,690
Hope so, I seem to be really sensitive to upper mids these days... it's why I sent back my Atrios, and also why I didn't like the Coppers.

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #390 of 4,690
Well, if you like the UM3X mids, you'll like these.

Just don't count with UM3X's like treble. But the Yamahas can give you much more fun, thats for sure. I'm using UM3X just for jazz (due to excelent treble) and EPH-100 for everything else. But as proven with Mezzoforte, the EPH-100 can do some jazz well. Just not the genre they are best with.

EDIT: hey archy121, just listen to Rammstein - Heirate Mich (Herzeleid) and Herzeleid with the EPH100s
eek.gif
(so freakin awesome)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back