X5 firmware 2.34Beta--Now Playing gets a good memory, APE cuesheets
Nov 25, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #76 of 148
  Everything looks good. Love how the back button is implemented with the Now Playing. :) Only problem I've seen so far is the slower library scanning compared to 2.20 stable. And the song counter disappears before reaching 2000 songs, leaving the spinning animation icon alone. Not a major issue though but still needs to be fixed.

That's odd. Mine counted all the way to 22507 before the count disappeared. That was followed by 20 minutes of spinning disk.  Ungodly slow for a device with 2 cores.

Total song count is wrong. Folder headers are being counted as songs. The wall at 20,000 of the last beta is gone but who knows what the new wall is. Nothing in the upgrade file refers to this.

There is no acceleration when spinning though Album or Artist so it takes several minutes to get through the list. Either acceleration or alphabetic binning are BADLY needed.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #77 of 148
I just opened https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=196 to use the Album Artist instead of the Artist tag in the library. I was surprised that nobody had already done it.

That would mean I would have to retag 20,000 files. Keep it the way it is or at least provide a switch to keep it on Artist instead of Album Artist (a field that is blank on all of my files that are not compilations.)

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #78 of 148
1. Bugzilla Bug 38 solved: Pressing the Back button from the Now Playing screen will now always take you to the folder / album / etc. from which the current song is selected. This is true even after navigating to the main menu or powering the X5 off and back on.
2. Holding the Back button now takes you to the main menu (rather than the Now Playing screen).
3. CUE sheets for APE files now supported.
4. Fixed issue where the X5 sometimes skips back to the first song after the currently playing song is deleted.
5. Fixed issue where the presently playing and total number of songs in the present listing (e.g. 1/16) is in error after deleting the first song or the last song in the list.
6. Fixed issue where pressing the previous / next buttons do not function correctly when selecting between TF1, TF2 and OTG drives under Browse Files.
7. Fixed issue where the currently playing playlist is not highlighted on pressing Back after playing a song from a playlist.
8. Fixed issue where sometimes "About X5" shows 0 songs on the X5 after updating the media library.
9. Fixed issue where songs newly added to Favorites sometimes do not show up in the Favorites list.
10. Fixed issue where a track not supported by the X5 is sometimes not skipped automatically.
11. Fixed issue where 16kHz/8bit and 11kHz/16bit tracks are shown with incorrect time counters while playing.
12. Fixed issue where iTunes AAC-HE tracks are shown with sample rates at half the actual value.

"Album Artist instead of the Artist tag" is not listed above.  

The slow scanning is a bit "interesting," but it's not a matter of what the device can do.  There seems to be a limitation in the programming of this beta, as in 2.2.0 the scan works quite quickly.  

As for rapid scrolling, neither James nor Joe has mentioned anything about accelerated scrolling.  Any kind of alpha choosing also seems not to be on the horizon (no touch screen, for one).  Hopefully the next thing we get is folder to folder, which does seem to be on the horizon.    

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #80 of 148
I liked all firmwares up to 2.03...which is where I've kept returning.
And since I've been critical of 2.07-2.31...feeling that they weren't true steps forward...
I have to say I am a fan of 2.34. This is an improvement from where I've been at 2.03
sound wise I think it is good also

oh...and the top right button is awesome now. Love it

+1

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #82 of 148
  "Album Artist instead of the Artist tag" is not listed above.  

The slow scanning is a bit "interesting," but it's not a matter of what the device can do.  There seems to be a limitation in the programming of this beta, as in 2.2.0 the scan works quite quickly.  

As for rapid scrolling, neither James nor Joe has mentioned anything about accelerated scrolling.  Any kind of alpha choosing also seems not to be on the horizon (no touch screen, for one).  Hopefully the next thing we get is folder to folder, which does seem to be on the horizon.    

Hopefully, the Album Artist Tag issue NEVER shows up there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be forced to do a week long retagging session.

Without accelerated scrolling, it takes about 5 minutes to scroll through my 21,000 files. When we get 256G cards it will take 10 minutes. This really needs to be looked at. I don't understand what the lack of a touch screen has to do with artist and album binning by first letter, though.

The constant looping within a folder is the first thing I'd like to see fixed, though. At least now I can run the X5 in a more or less random mode for driving. A feature to reseed the random number generator by timing the milliseconds between two button pushes would be nice so that you won't have to scroll to a new starting song to get a new randomized list. That works all right in theory but because of the lack of scroll acceleration, only the first few dozen songs are likely to be used as starters.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #85 of 148

Thank god, I'm not alone....

I tried every firmware several times, some for a few minutes, some for days and weeks and always came back to the 2.03beta. It isnt perfect but much better than the others.

Yesterday I tried the new 2.34beta and listened just for a few hours, but I have to agree: this time also the sound made a step forward. The tonality is good, not to cold, not to warm, seems like neutral. The soundstage is as good as never before, the wide, the depth, the separation is fantastic.

Looking forward...

Cheers

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #88 of 148
Yes, I did.

In general I use the folder navigation. Here the device tells me, that the external USB stick isnt there anymore, but it is. When I restart the X5 or putting in the USB stick again, everything is okay and maybe its possible to play an album. But when I try to switch to another folder at the stick, the X5 says things like no music files or that the stick isnt there...

It just happens with the new 2.34...

Greeting

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #90 of 148
Manually binning by letter is super easy to implement by any of us at any time without any programming. Why is this an issue? I totally understand wanting to scan your files into the DB for playlist creation, but what's the hangup with Folder Browsing?

can you explain with steps, or at least point me to a tutorial?...

if you are talking about making a playlist that will work with the cards in x5, i tried, and i failed... more than once... i cannot make a playlist that will work with cards... tried with foobar2000 and at some point the files had the full path from the computer, and the playlist did not work with x5 at all...

I appreciate all of your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back