X5 firmware 2.34Beta--Now Playing gets a good memory, APE cuesheets
Nov 26, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #91 of 148
I was actually suggesting something that's been suggested several times to get around the lack of accelerated scrolling (which is also like to see implemented). It's a simple, manual fix consisting of making folders to bin artists by alphabetical chunks like a folder for a-c, d-f, g-i etc. Then just drag in the appropriate artist folders and bam! you've only get a few folders to scroll through quickly to make your way through the alphabet. The only "downside" is that you need to use Folder Browsing instead of Categories Browsing, although I do that and don't think it's any problem at all.

As far as playlists go, I don't use 'em. I'm an album kind of guy. Don't even really shuffle much...

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #92 of 148
I was actually suggesting something that's been suggested several times to get around the lack of accelerated scrolling (which is also like to see implemented). It's a simple, manual fix consisting of making folders to bin artists by alphabetical chunks like a folder for a-c, d-f, g-i etc. Then just drag in the appropriate artist folders and bam! you've only get a few folders to scroll through quickly to make your way through the alphabet. The only "downside" is that you need to use Folder Browsing instead of Categories Browsing, although I do that and don't think it's any problem at all.

As far as playlists go, I don't use 'em. I'm an album kind of guy. Don't even really shuffle much...

I already have my files in 27 alphabetized folders but it does nothing for using the music library. With folder scanning, I have to scan each card (one of MP3's and one of FLACs) to find what I'm looking for.

I shuffle when I'm driving but the randomization is still broke in the beta. Each supposedly random sequence sooner or later works itself back to the same sequence.

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #96 of 148

I have been using something similar for months now and it doesn't cut it. I think the accelerated scrolling or browsing through letters is a must.

As powerful as the browse by folders is, still I prefer the library, specially even more when the playlists are there.

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #97 of 148
Nov 27, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #98 of 148
It may be that I'm crazy but the firmware 2.34beta sounds much better than all others before. Therefore I could live with it though there are a few little issues. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #99 of 148
There's a great improvement in sound in this firmware, it seems to be placement of instruments and voice, the sounds arrive in there own place and space with no frequency crossover distortion at all.
I'm enjoying this version a lot.
But why is everything looping, I now need to set the sleep timer to turn it off, what's the story?

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #100 of 148
Jupp, these two things are real problems: the player doesnt stop after finishing an album and in my case the otg-function doesnt work...

Now it would be easy to say: just wait for the next beta, the problems will be solved there. This may be true, but what is about the sound in the next firmwareversion?

There are no official changes between the versions, but many users realize differences and they do it often in the same way.

I loaded every available beta and testet it; I'm interessted only in the best sq (and some main functions). And I'm almost sure, that every version got its own soundsignature. I hear differences in the tonality, in transparency, in the separation, the wide and depth of the soundstage, there were also a version, where the soundstage changed completely in the opposite (the voices where located behind the instruments) and I was not the only one, who realized it.

I hope that Fiio in the future is able to understand the relations between new firmwarefunctions an its influence to the X5s hardware.

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #101 of 148
I am using the linux font mod right now because it works faster

anyway, i discovwered a very very disturbing bug...

If you are playing music, with headphones in, and you plug straight into usb dac mode, without first closing the player or pausing the song, you hear a very very bad distortion that dissappears only when you restart it.

With stock 2.34b or?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 27, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #102 of 148
Great to see that I'm not crazy! :)

And yes, I hope that the soundsignature does'nt change when the issues are fixed in a new final version. But as above written, I would live with this issues and use this firmware beta version if the final version sounds not so good.

But now I'm happy and it is not necessary to fix it asap. Better slow and good.

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #103 of 148
Jupp, these two things are real problems: the player doesnt stop after finishing an album and in my case the otg-function doesnt work...

Now it would be easy to say: just wait for the next beta, the problems will be solved there. This may be true, but what is about the sound in the next firmwareversion?

There are no official changes between the versions, but many users realize differences and they do it often in the same way.

I loaded every available beta and testet it; I'm interessted only in the best sq (and some main functions). And I'm almost sure, that every version got its own soundsignature. I hear differences in the tonality, in transparency, in the separation, the wide and depth of the soundstage, there were also a version, where the soundstage changed completely in the opposite (the voices where located behind the instruments) and I was not the only one, who realized it.

I hope that Fiio in the future is able to understand the relations between new firmwarefunctions an its influence to the X5s hardware.

Problem is, anyone who reads about a purported change in sound sig from a given firmware is then more likely to "hear" the same change when changing to said firmware. Confirmation bias. Same reason why everything from branded USB cables to equipment racks have an agreed on sound sig.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 27, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #104 of 148
Problem is, anyone who reads about a purported change in sound sig from a given firmware is then more likely to "hear" the same change when changing to said firmware. Confirmation bias.

This is of course a big problem.

But the fact, that a confirmation bias exists means not, that there are no differences between the versions, right? And there are also many users, who hear no differeces (and influence others to hear nothing?!)... :wink:

I could tell you a lot about my uninfluenced testing and about my wish, not to realize differences because this make life not easier; I just want to hear good music.

But all this doesnt matter. In fact I'm almost sure for 100%, that there are a lot of audible infuences from softwarebased processes to the hardware, which may be the reason for the differcences, many Fiio-fans (iBasso etc... too) hear between the firmware versions. The real problem is, that this relations arent easy to understand and so, unfortunately, the sq of every new fw seems to be a coincidence.

I hope, you understand, what I try to say. Fiio make a lot of superb products with a lot of hardware knowhow and good prices. But I think, the software is also as important as the hardware is; one is useless without the other.

Cheers

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #105 of 148
I have a logical explanation for "confirmation bias",
it could be as fiio implement updated dac driver changes from their dac supplier. These drivers might make the changes to the firmwares sound changes. But the looping, I've got no logical reasoning why?
(That's one question I can't come up with the answer for but it would be nice if I could stop it. And can rock box please get a open source version to play with this would only boost sales, while I'm talking to my self, please fiio?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back