X5 firmware 2.34Beta--Now Playing gets a good memory, APE cuesheets
Nov 27, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #106 of 148
With stock 2.34b or?

happened with stock 2.34b too... just tested... problem is that this happens only if i plug into usb DAC while playing certain flacs with eq on.. only with certain flacs, and it seems to happen if i have been using the player standalone for a longer time ~1 hour....

Interesting, this problems seems to persist with all firmwares... 

Audio artifacts seem to happen if i pluG the DAC while the player was playing with headphones in, and eq on, and only with certain flacs, and it seems that with other FLACs there are more artifactz , like LOUD noise if i keep pressed volume down while the player stays in DAC mode.. 

It seems like the player doesn't terminate it's own software playing while i plug it into usb DAC mode... If i turn it off, and plug usb DAC, it is all fine...

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #107 of 148
I jumped on the 2.34b train yesterday and overall it's a great FW.
The short/long press use of the backbutton is fantastic! 11.000 songs are loaded (took some time) and all the album art is there (wasn't in 2.31b). It's also possible (wasn't in 2.31b) to delete songs straight from the X5.

The only disappointment (still) for me is that when I play from the ''all songs'' section in shuffle mode (and unfortunately I do that a lot), it isn't random at all. From starting up the X5, it always gives you the same songs in the same order. When this also can be fixed in the next FW that would make me very happy! At this moment it's the only reason why I will return to 2.2.

About SQ: it's hard for me to notice the difference with 2.2, but maybe this is because I mainly use it with the E12 or Pico Power from LO.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #108 of 148
I don't hear any sound difference and the developers are not stating there is a sound difference.  Some people say there is a sound difference.  Apparently milage may vary.
L3000.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #110 of 148
Reporting a few bugs...

1. Same as many, the scanning stops showing the number of songs and the waiting circle continues, after a while disappears (I have 2 x 128gb cards, around 6500 songs).
2. On library mode, once inside an album, coming back to the main tree of artists or albums is quite slow.
3. On library mode, if an artist has many albums, more than the X5's screen can show without scrolling, then the last album shown doesn't open the album but opens the "All songs" option. Even the icon is the wrong one.

Other comments...

1. Now that I have all my files indexed on library mode, can't stress enough the need of some sort of fast scrolling. Scrolling by letters would be great solution IMHO.
2. Now playing good memory is a great addition.
3. Sorry to comeback to this, but playlists are still very limited.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #111 of 148

1. Now that I have all my files indexed on library mode, can't stress enough the need of some sort of fast scrolling. Scrolling by letters would be great solution IMHO.

Yes this would be the most important thing that I really want as soon as possible. Other than that and a fixed "Random Playing" I see nothing major that would require a fix asap.

Thanks a lot for this new beta, now being able to browse back from where you were, without the need to start all over from the beginning of the list in Library mode! That was so much annoying me since I have 14K songs on my X5.

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #113 of 148
I liked all firmwares up to 2.03...which is where I've kept returning.
And since I've been critical of 2.07-2.31...feeling that they weren't true steps forward...
I have to say I am a fan of 2.34. This is an improvement from where I've been at 2.03
sound wise I think it is good also

oh...and the top right button is awesome now. Love it

Thanks heavens if this is true! My X5 was prone to producing a slight crackling sound randomly which kinda annoyed me.  Happened pretty rarely but still.  Thought I'd upgrade FW to see if it will cure the issue. My X5 shipped with 2.03 so I updated to 2.2.  So..the crackling sound disappeared but the SQ got worse. Its like its muffled. Those crystal clear highs and large sound stage all but disappeared. I listen to a lot of acoustic folk and I like to hear them guitars clearly...FW2.2 doesn't do this. I was planning on rolling back to 2.03 but this comment gives me hope! Can anyone with prior experience confirm that 2.34 is better/equal to 2.03 SQ wise? I can put up with random crackles for a shot at better SQ. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #114 of 148
After some long testing of 2.34b I have a rant about its MP3 tagging. Having 17k+ songs in my card, I was delighted to see the library limit gone. But in Fiio library some songs are marked with Genre "7" or "12"... changing the Genre tag in MP3tag does not help - the wrong tag stays. Or some songs marked "Pop" show as "op" genre in the library, "Acoustic" as "coustic". Or I change the tag and save it through MP3Tag, but the old genre tag stays for the Fiio! I cannot find the old tag through MP3Tag, Foobar, Windows file properties... but Fiio happily thinks it's still there and does not look at the new value of standard Genre tag. Or Fiio takes the name of the track for the Artist name. Etc. etc. etc. 
So, the new firmware is unusable for me concerning the library. The Fiio support kindly examined the files I sent them and confirmed the tags are read oddly and they cannot find the problem, so bear with it for now.
The only thing I'm waiting for now is finalising the firmware. This (hope!) will enable the chinese tag for "Folder jump" and also enable the "Play" command currently greyed out when you push "Menu" button on a folder. Then I can pack the music by folders:  Genre/Artist/Album and play the whole Artist or Genre folders. 
Also, a RANDOM random would be much appreciated.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #115 of 148
Beta.  You (and others) found some bugs and reported them. That's what beta testing is. Fiio will most likely sort things out and the new final should be working well when they release it.  

As to sound differences with different firmwares, mine came with the firmware before 2.2, I listened to it and then upgraded it and didn't notice a big (or maybe any) difference in sound sig.  The beta certainly sounds the same as 2.2.  As to "muffled" sound, I sure don't hear it with my setup.  In fact, I have a bell-like sound in the guitars and in cymbals they are shimmering.  Have you tried reinstalling your 2.2 firmware, running Factory Reset, and then resetting prefs.  That might help.  

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #117 of 148
Software bug?  Chinese language issues?  

I never sort by genre so never noticed (in fact I don't even tag genre).

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #118 of 148
Also, a RANDOM random would be much appreciated.

Yep! If 2.34b (which I liked) would have had this also, then I would not have gone back to 2.2
redface.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #120 of 148
  After some long testing of 2.34b I have a rant about its MP3 tagging. Having 17k+ songs in my card, I was delighted to see the library limit gone. But in Fiio library some songs are marked with Genre "7" or "12"......

All of my 22,000 Genre tags are intact so I suspect the problem lies in whatever you originally tagged them with.

But it's a moot point, as genre is totally useless in this firmware. A genre choice results in a one level list of every song in that genre rather than a list of albums. What were they thinking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back