Would I enjoy the Audeze-LCD-2/3?
Jun 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Reminds me of a funny quote I saw somewhere: "Punctuation: The difference between 'Let's eat, grandpa!' and 'Let's eat grandpa!'"
evil_smiley.gif

I originally thought that, but I had read somewhere about at high volume (read higher than listening volume) dynamics handle it better.  I could have misunderstood, or the author could have been mistaken.  In either case, I have no explanation for NA Blur's experience short of shoddy QC on the pair being evaluated.

with the LCD-2 I can play loud without feeling like verging on distortion unlike the impression I got with the Denon's first time I cranked them, it's great.

Maybe the HE-400 has a fault.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #32 of 40
Well I've read a review or two from other sites that say the HE-400 has some noticeable distortion at very high volumes, and Tyll's measurements indicate that to some degree, so there's no doubt an exception here and there.  Having more noticeable distortion than a D2000 though, that sounds very strange.

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:
Well I've read a review or two from other sites that say the HE-400 has some noticeable distortion at very high volumes, and Tyll's measurements indicate that to some degree, so there's no doubt an exception here and there.  Having more noticeable distortion than a D2000 though, that sounds very strange.

Right, at very high volumes, and most of those reports make it a point to identify "louder than normal listening volume", which is why I said maybe he just plays his music loud.  I don't deny I'm more sensitive to loud volumes, but at sustained volume at just beyond the loudest I could take, no distortion beyond some resonance on the cup. Normal listening, or rather, comfortable listening would be quieter.  And anything louder I could take for no more than a minute or two, if that.  It would almost certainly be pushing into "permanent damage" ranges beyond there pretty quickly. 

From a measurement perspective I'm sure it rates some distortion in higher volumes, but from a listening volume perspective, I just don't see it.  Both HE-400 and HE-500 were rated very good and excellent respectively in terms of distortion anywhere I've read.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:
Please let me know what you think once you've given them a thorough listening to!!!

Was that directed towards me? If it was I like the HE-500 very much.  I love the soundstage and vocals sound like liquid through them. I first tried them through my M-stage and liked what I heard, next the Lyr much better sound and realism, finally i used the EF 5 and Wow! The EF 5 is the perfect amp for the HE-500 to my ears.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #37 of 40
yes, fearless 1 it was.  thanks for the input!  I've been listening to the HE-500/Lyr combo and for me it only seems to work for music with a specific sonic character, as opposed to working with everything across the board.  (sorry, i don't have the lingo down yet to explain myself more clearly).  generally speaking the HE-500 doesn't seem to work as well with the Burson HD160. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #38 of 40
I listened to the LCD-2 and the LCD-3, and ended up getting the latter. Not only does it sound far more neutral to me, but I find it much more comfortable on my head--the LCD-2 put too much pressure on. In my experience, there's a certain magic that happens once a high quality bar is passed, when the equipment interferes little enough that you are suddenly listening to music rather than listening to equipment.

I can't offer a comparison, but on the whole, soundstaging isn't a great feature of headphones in general. There is a certain amount of "sound in the middle of my head" that I tend to get. That said, the open back designs definitely do better in that regard.

Good luck and have fun!

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #39 of 40
   I am in the market for something new. I am torn between the LCD-2/3, HE-500 or the HE-400. I have recently been in a closed Headphone stage with my last couple of purchases, but i am ready for a new open can. Any input would by greatly appreciated.

I am a closet basshead no doubt, but i also enjoy a refined style as well (HD-600, AKG701 ETC.)

I switch back and forth from tube amps to solid-state so the amp is not a factor in my decision. I have a Lyr that is not listed on my profile so plenty of power on hand.

I am looking for a large soundstage, hence why I am looking at open HPs.

One of my favorite sounding cans are my modded Fostex T50rps so I am a bit familiar with the  orthodynamic sound and know this is the route I want to go.

I also do not like a dark sound (M-stage with stock OPA is an example of what I mean by dark), but do like punchy midbass and somewhat bright highs(not Grado bright).

I do not have a chance to audition any of these based on where I live, but did hear the HE-400 through an I-phone and liked it (somewhat, unamped can not really judge). So based on the criteria  I have listed if any of you have owned/heard all three what would you buy if you had my preferance?

Thanks in advance.

Well, please treat my recommendation with distance. But I advice it like to a friend.

I have Sansui SS100 modded headphones - which are superior to Fostex T50R (modern version), as ortho drivers of vintage Fostex and Sansui are bigger and just better. I also know well LCD2, LCD3, HE500. What I'd like to say you to try the dynamic headphones, yes:), Beyrdynamic DT150. Cheap indeed, but well driven my surprise you with their lushness and fullfilled vocals, very nice soundsage and overall 'majesty' in sound. 

Hope you will not waste your time with that.

Of course LCD3 are better, but to me got crazy price in relation to sound quality. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #40 of 40
Well, please treat my recommendation with distance. But I advice it like to a friend.

I have Sansui SS100 modded headphones - which are superior to Fostex T50R (modern version), as ortho drivers of vintage Fostex and Sansui are bigger and just better. I also know well LCD2, LCD3, HE500. What I'd like to say you to try the dynamic headphones, yes:), Beyrdynamic DT150. Cheap indeed, but well driven my surprise you with their lushness and fullfilled vocals, very nice soundsage and overall 'majesty' in sound. 

Hope you will not waste your time with that.

Of course LCD3 are better, but to me got crazy price in relation to sound quality. 

That was from a few years ago, own/owned all three since, and I agree with the DT 150 as an underrated, over performer, it is on my head as much as the He-6/HD800(cans that cost4- 5times as much)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back