Worst headphones you've ever bought
May 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #122 of 162
Unfortunately, I don't have the technical skills. That, and modding does not change the fact that the driver will still be the same.

Don't underestimate how much the housing, dampening and pads effect the sound coming from the driver.

Proud owner of Alpha Dogs hear and I can safely say they are completely different compared to an unmodded t50rp

May 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #123 of 162

Unfortunately, I don't have the technical skills. That, and modding does not change the fact that the driver will still be the same.

Drivers aren't the only factor in sound reproduction. The housing can change the sound. The cable can change the sound. Even little stickers on the inside can change the sound.

That said, good headphones shouldn't need modding, but there's nothing wrong with selling headphones meant to be modified by the end user. Grado and Fostex see a lot of business because of that. Otherwise, Grados are some of the worst headphones I've ever touched. There are people who will disagree with me, but I cannot stand them at all.

May 5, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #125 of 162

Most really cheap headphones are limited not by the driver but by the enclosure, pads and dampening. Fact remains that if you chose to go so cheap, compromises have to be made somewhere. The point of modding is to result with something worth far more than you paid initially and it's why many people, including yours truely, do it in the first place.

May 6, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #126 of 162
Anything sold by Apple, I have yet to figure out why they hate music!!!

May 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #127 of 162
Anything sold by Apple, I have yet to figure out why they hate music!!!

I don't mean to offend, but this is a grossly ignorant statement.

- Apple basically instigated the boom in premium portable audio devices when they created the iPod.
- Steve Jobs was an audiophile.
- Apple stores sell some fantastic headphones (like Sennheiser Momentum for example). 

May 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #128 of 162
  I don't mean to offend, but this is a grossly ignorant statement.

- Apple basically instigated the boom in premium portable audio devices when they created the iPod.
- Steve Jobs was an audiophile.
- Apple stores sell some fantastic headphones (like Sennheiser Momentum for example). 

"They ship iPods with awful earbuds!"

Every manufacturer does that.

May 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #129 of 162
This thread is "worst headphones", headphones sold with the Apple moniker are horrible, if Steve Jobs was an audiophile, it isn't readily seen in his products. He spent far to much time on creating a closed Apple only system, that tends to only grow when there is the opportunity to bilk the consumer, for marginal, incremental gains. I love Apple, the operating system is absolutely the best, but I refuse to join the "cult".

May 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #130 of 162
This thread is "worst headphones", headphones sold with the Apple moniker are horrible, if Steve Jobs was an audiophile, it isn't readily seen in his products. He spent far to much time on creating a closed Apple only system, that tends to only grow when there is the opportunity to bilk the consumer, for marginal, incremental gains. I love Apple, the operating system is absolutely the best, but I refuse to join the "cult".

It combated the awful, anti-consumer strategy of selling people an entire album that they didn't want. DRM is an entirely different issue. Besides, what about the Sony BMG scandal? Discs used it, too. The "closed garden" ecosystem Apple has adopted is another sign of anti-consumerism in the digital age, but I'll take it over having to pay the price of an album for one or two songs (looking at you, AC/DC).

Not everyone will agree with that, but I think Apple has done more good than harm - and I hate Apple. I really do.

That said, if they're going to revolutionize the way people listen to music with the iPod, they probably should have included better earbuds. :frowning2:

May 7, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #131 of 162
, if Steve Jobs was an audiophile, it isn't readily seen in his products.

You don't understand the iPod at all.
It has an excellent DAC and is capable of lossless playback.

I hate that it's a closed system, but that has nothing to do with my point, and probably nothing to do with Steve Jobs but a decision by the monetizing department at apple.

May 7, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #132 of 162

"They ship iPods with awful earbuds!"

Every manufacturer does that.

Actually they don't any more.  The new earpods are surprisingly good.  And to enhance them further, just add any cheap pair of foam covers.

I take it from your comments that both you and Wildcatsare1 are talking about the old apple ibuds that shipped with the old generations of iPods.  I agree - they were pretty bland.  But the earpods are very good.  You should try them especially with the covers) if you ever get a chance.

May 7, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #135 of 162

Actually they don't any more.  The new earpods are surprisingly good.  And to enhance them further, just add any cheap pair of foam covers.

I take it from your comments that both you and Wildcatsare1 are talking about the old apple ibuds that shipped with the old generations of iPods.  I agree - they were pretty bland.  But the earpods are very good.  You should try them especially with the covers) if you ever get a chance.

I have. I don't like them much either, but as far as a stock option goes, it's not bad. I laugh at anyone who pays $30 aftermarket for them, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back