WORST headphone you ever heard?
Apr 12, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,501 of 1,786
I'm not being hostile. I'm not even going after people who say things I disagree with. I didn't quote a single poster, I didn't point out anyone's statements specifically. I don't even care if it's audiophiles or not. I get as annoyed by someone ragging on Beats despite only hearing one model at Best Buy one time as I do by someone making categorical statements about the HD800's based on how a reviewer compared them to one headphone that person is familiar with. 

I am the absolute last person you'll find who gets snobby about audio gear or discounts opinions if they aren't "audiophile enough". 

For me .....

AKG K450.

Won awards at UK's What Hi Fi - best portable etc.

Bass galore. Muffled top end. Just a load of beefy sounds to my ears!! I was So disappointed.
I've tried all beats except the pros. The solos and solo hd's sucked, monster studios midrange was too sucked out, and didn't feel like it had any body to the music,(actually, the JVC's had more body, and those things are bass pushers. More detail when I tried them side by side for about 30 minutes, but that's not saying much. The JVC's have almost zero detail in comparison to the k240's.), but the newest 2013 studios... Ah, now that's a different story! The k240's still sound better, but only because the studios have grainy treble, and the sound engine causes the frequency response to be inconsistent from track to track... Very enjoyable sound with solid looks though. Not worth 300$, but the person who had them wanted looks, and he knew that the new studios are somewhat decent sounding. He didn't even touch the old studios, so it is half sound, half looks. That's what matters to him. Oh, and you must not be accustomed to bassy cans then... Hmm?

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #1,502 of 1,786
I've tried all beats except the pros. The solos and solo hd's sucked, monster studios midrange was too sucked out, and didn't feel like it had any body to the music,(actually, the JVC's had more body, and those things are bass pushers. More detail when I tried them side by side for about 30 minutes, but that's not saying much. The JVC's have almost zero detail in comparison to the k240's.), but the newest 2013 studios... Ah, now that's a different story! The k240's still sound better, but only because the studios have grainy treble, and the sound engine causes the frequency response to be inconsistent from track to track... Very enjoyable sound with solid looks though. Not worth 300$, but the person who had them wanted looks, and he knew that the new studios are somewhat decent sounding. He didn't even touch the old studios, so it is half sound, half looks. That's what matters to him. Oh, and you must not be accustomed to bassy cans then... Hmm?

Been using headphones for over 50 years. 
redface.gif

I like headphones to be better balanced than the AKG's with a slightly 'smoother' response!! Try the fake Beats. I have them too. Bought in Tenerife for £7. Look great. Sound better than the real Beats. (Better means worse nowadays doesn't it?) Oh boy, are they bad!!! Well bad!!!!!!!

I'm older than I look.
cool.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #1,504 of 1,786
What's the matter General - is it all getting a bit serious on here? I thought it was just a light hearted poke at duff headphones.....

Mine weren't Beats ...... they were copies of Beats and were one of the worst I'd heard!!

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,505 of 1,786
  What's the matter General - is it all getting a bit serious on here? I thought it was just a light hearted poke at duff headphones.....

Mine weren't Beats ...... they were copies of Beats and were one of the worst I'd heard!!

General tends to have little tolerance when things do not go his way.

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #1,507 of 1,786
Unsubbed due to the beats thread not dying. 

Hope AnakChan locks this beat's thread. 
mine still is the sharper image wireless headphones... Worst crap ever... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004AWE4D8/ref=redir_mdp_mobile 59 one star reviews lol.

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,508 of 1,786
mine still is the sharper image wireless headphones... Worst crap ever... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004AWE4D8/ref=redir_mdp_mobile 59 one star reviews lol.

I'd have thought that after reading all those reviews, people would stop buying them. The world apparently doesn't work like that though.

Sony MDR-D11 Eggos. I mean, they're not bad by themselves; but when compared to my other gears they sounded terrible.

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,509 of 1,786
I'd have thought that after reading all those reviews, people would stop buying them. The world apparently doesn't work like that though.
[rule]Sony MDR-D11 Eggos. I mean, they're not bad by themselves; but when compared to my other gears they sounded terrible.

whoever designed that headphone needs to be shot for ugliness... Those sonys look so bad... I can handle ye old radar dish on my head akg look, but those just look like cheap old 90's 20$ crap... Oh, and I found that the sharper image also just changed the model name, then sold the same headphones for 50$ instead... Lol. Poor people... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007VQPIQW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1397344744&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #1,510 of 1,786
Ok, I am officially calling them the worst company Eva... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005UR2G5K/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1397344744&sr=8-5&pi=SL75 http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ASHXBD8/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1397344744&sr=8-7&pi=SL75 http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B000C6SP4K/n=7/ref=aw_cr_i_7?qid=1397345276&sr=8-30 and etc...

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #1,511 of 1,786
Seriously you need to get off Amazon and have a look at AliExpress..

Thousands of junk headphones up there.
You really didn't buy the Sharper Image headphones did you? The name itself gives it away...

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #1,512 of 1,786
Personally, the worst headphone I have aver heard are the Skullcandy Skullcrusher. Compared them to my Shure SRH750DJ, they sound like cardboard (NO JOKE). Muddy bass drowned out what was left of good sound in pretty much all of the songs I listened to.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,513 of 1,786
Personally, the worst headphone I have aver heard are the Skullcandy Skullcrusher. Compared them to my Shure SRH750DJ, they sound like cardboard (NO JOKE). Muddy bass drowned out what was left of good sound in pretty much all of the songs I listened to.
lol. I stay as far away as possible from beats, skull candy, sol republic, SMS street, etc (note: I did not say monster. The n-tunes are decent for the 80$ price point.) If I'm going to go for bass heavy cans, I go with jvc. Only brand that I actually enjoy (other than monster.) that is bass heavy. I think I might try out my friends 500$ jbl synchros... The flagship one. Looks like they'd be decent bassy cans. I think I'm going to buy a pair of JVC sz1000 just because they apparently seem to push an unbeatable amount of bass according to some of the fine fellows at the basshead club.(wait... They have the sz2000 model. Meh. Whatever. Few differences between the two anyways. Still have 55mm woofer and 30mm mid/treble driver.) give my neck some massages... :D yes... I do happen to enjoy many different types of headphones.

Aug 26, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #1,514 of 1,786
AIRLINE HEADPHONES. I grew up on these, because my parents were cheap. Then I switched to a pair of earbuds I found in the back of my car (no idea how they got there)...which were terrible, but sounded "so hifiman!" to me at the time. Then I got some Soul Republic earbuds in an airport, and some monstrously awful Monster Candies. Also awful looking back on it.

Then, again in an airport, I wandered across some mif-fi, if bassy headphones (think V moda Crossfades...I'd count these as bad, for the tier, as I like flat response.), and the world changed forever...immediately bought some ATH-M30's, and started spending more money on audio than a heroin addict spends on smack.

These were all terrible (except the M30's and arguably the mid-fi head-mounted bass-mortars), but not as bad as the last headphones.

While on a pair of M30X's, I bought a pair of faux-wood headphones at a dollar store for sh@#!s and giggles. I've never heard worse sound in my life. The mids practically did not exist, and the highs were only present in the most eardrum-scratching, nails-on-a-chalkboard way. I've legitimately never heard anything worse. And I'm counting a speaker I made with a magnet, painter's tape, copper wire, an audio jack, and a styrofoam cup driver.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #1,515 of 1,786
Audio Technica ATH-W1000Z. Seriously. Cheap $20 crap just sounds blurry and suppressed in a lot of frequencies. The W1000Z is full of weird spikes and reflections, I thought it was broken but it wasn't. Worst headphone I've ever heard by far. Airline ear buds sound better.

Honorable mention (but not NEARLY as bad): Fostex TH900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back